Feeling depressed

Shortone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just found out that I have severe sleep apnea (I stop breathing 116 times an hour). After doing research online I thought well that explains why my glucose levels have been ridiculously high. Since using a cpap machine my glucose levels have come down already and I have more energy. I was feeling hopeful that with the machine my health would improve. Then I saw my GP and she was saying diabetes and sleep apnea are a fatal combination, you are only 52 and you could end up having a stroke. I felt like she was blaming me for my high readings when clearly having sleep apnea is a big factor and not my fault. I also have asthma, lymphoedema in my legs and feet, nerve damage to my face, vertigo, and tinnitus. I just feel like none of the doctors or nurses I see show any sympathy for my multi long term illnesses and just wag their finger at me. I eat very healthy food but it;s so difficult to exercise when your legs are heavy and so painful. Sorry, rant over !

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I find that when a HCP looks at my history of multiple conditions they are sometimes flummoxed by the fact that they really need to cross reference any treatment against risk factors and contra indications. So much so that they often times only look at one condition and ignore the others simply because it is easier for them.

I find myself having to ask 'Will this drug have adverse effects on my such and such?' Woe betide any HCP if they spoke to me with a tone that spoke of anything that was all my own fault.

Sleep apnoea is not a lifestyle choice for goodness sake! We can choose what we eat but it is pretty difficult to control breathing whilst asleep. No one would wake up one day and think today I am going to choose xxxx to suffer from.

I'm not sure what, if anything you can do about a gp who thinks that you don't appreciate the risks/dangers of your conditions. What he/she should be thinking first is 'How can I help my patient overcome these issues'.

Reactions: Prem51

Shortone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that when a HCP looks at my history of multiple conditions they are sometimes flummoxed by the fact that they really need to cross reference any treatment against risk factors and contra indications. So much so that they often times only look at one condition and ignore the others simply because it is easier for them.

I find myself having to ask 'Will this drug have adverse effects on my such and such?' Woe betide any HCP if they spoke to me with a tone that spoke of anything that was all my own fault.

Sleep apnoea is not a lifestyle choice for goodness sake! We can choose what we eat but it is pretty difficult to control breathing whilst asleep. No one would wake up one day and think today I am going to choose xxxx to suffer from.

I'm not sure what, if anything you can do about a gp who thinks that you don't appreciate the risks/dangers of your conditions. What he/she should be thinking first is 'How can I help my patient overcome these issues'.

Thanks Guzzler. For years my diabetes nurse and doctor have been insinuating my high glucose levels were my fault and the whole time it was having sleep apnea making it so high. Might change my doctor! I agree, doctors don't cross reference treatments. They just write out a prescription and hope for the best.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind

I have just found out that I have severe sleep apnea (I stop breathing 116 times an hour). After doing research online I thought well that explains why my glucose levels have been ridiculously high. Since using a cpap machine my glucose levels have come down already and I have more energy. I was feeling hopeful that with the machine my health would improve. Then I saw my GP and she was saying diabetes and sleep apnea are a fatal combination, you are only 52 and you could end up having a stroke. I felt like she was blaming me for my high readings when clearly having sleep apnea is a big factor and not my fault. I also have asthma, lymphoedema in my legs and feet, nerve damage to my face, vertigo, and tinnitus. I just feel like none of the doctors or nurses I see show any sympathy for my multi long term illnesses and just wag their finger at me. I eat very healthy food but it;s so difficult to exercise when your legs are heavy and so painful. Sorry, rant over !

So what is the doctor going to do about your Sleep Apnea, will they provide you with a breathing machine? Sounds like you have a not so understanding doctor there. We do not like going to the doctors as it is, without us being made to feel uncomfortable. I moved to Yorkshire 6 months ago so had to change my doctor. As you probably know, when you begin with a new Surgery you have to have a 20 min consultation and get checked out. I walked into my new doctor's Surgery and he was kind of slouching in his chair. I have arthritis in my knees and as it was winter they were particularly bad, so I was on crutches, I walked in and sat down but forgot to close the door, he saw me struggling and then asked if I would get up and close the door. Must admit I thought "Bloody hell you can see I am struggling" I sat back down and he said, "What can I do for you?" I replied "erm this is my 20 min consultation I was told to come here" He then asked, "Well what do you want me to do?" I said, " I don't know, what do you normally do on first meeting a new patient?" He then asked " What ails you? I thought "Is this bloke for real?" I said "Well bearing in mind I have a Heart Condition, riddled with Arthritis, Thyroid Problem, Fibromyalgia, Tinnitus, Vertigo, two worn discs at the bottom of my back, and one at the top of my neck what do you suggest doctor?" He wrote out a form to do annual blood checks for my heart etc, this is when I found out that my sugar level was high..but that was it. I asked "Are you not going to take my BP? or weigh me? listen to my heart even? He said no while still slouching in his chair..You can book an appointment with the nurse on your way out. He then said till I see you next time. I said "Oh don't worry I won't be seeing you again, I have never known such an arrogant doctor as you, you Sir obviously cannot be bothered with your patients.Bye (I left his door wide open lol) I went to the receptionist and said to her "Don't ever book me with him again,I will see any doctor (Six to choose from) but not him" A couple of patients in the waiting room asked me "Was that doctor Reddy?" I replied "Yes" they said oh people cannot stand him. No wonder I saw him quickly with no waiting, nobody wanted to see him. Other docs have been great there though and the nurses are lovely. The point that I am trying to make, do not let them intimidate you,tell them how they have made you feel.After all it is your health. I hope that you get the help that you need. x

Reactions: Prem51 and Guzzler

Shortone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So what is the doctor going to do about your Sleep Apnea, will they provide you with a breathing machine? Sounds like you have a not so understanding doctor there. We do not like going to the doctors as it is, without us being made to feel uncomfortable. I moved to Yorkshire 6 months ago so had to change my doctor. As you probably know, when you begin with a new Surgery you have to have a 20 min consultation and get checked out. I walked into my new doctor's Surgery and he was kind of slouching in his chair. I have arthritis in my knees and as it was winter they were particularly bad, so I was on crutches, I walked in and sat down but forgot to close the door, he saw me struggling and then asked if I would get up and close the door. Must admit I thought "Bloody hell you can see I am struggling" I sat back down and he said, "What can I do for you?" I replied "erm this is my 20 min consultation I was told to come here" He then asked, "Well what do you want me to do?" I said, " I don't know, what do you normally do on first meeting a new patient?" He then asked " What ails you? I thought "Is this bloke for real?" I said "Well bearing in mind I have a Heart Condition, riddled with Arthritis, Thyroid Problem, Fibromyalgia, Tinnitus, Vertigo, two worn discs at the bottom of my back, and one at the top of my neck what do you suggest doctor?" He wrote out a form to do annual blood checks for my heart etc, this is when I found out that my sugar level was high..but that was it. I asked "Are you not going to take my BP? or weigh me? listen to my heart even? He said no while still slouching in his chair..You can book an appointment with the nurse on your way out. He then said till I see you next time. I said "Oh don't worry I won't be seeing you again, I have never known such an arrogant doctor as you, you Sir obviously cannot be bothered with your patients.Bye (I left his door wide open lol) I went to the receptionist and said to her "Don't ever book me with him again,I will see any doctor (Six to choose from) but not him" A couple of patients in the waiting room asked me "Was that doctor Reddy?" I replied "Yes" they said oh people cannot stand him. No wonder I saw him quickly with no waiting, nobody wanted to see him. Other docs have been great there though and the nurses are lovely. The point that I am trying to make, do not let them intimidate you,tell them how they have made you feel.After all it is your health. I hope that you get the help that you need. x
Thanks derry60 I have been using a "breathing machine" at night for two weeks now and my glucose levels have come down already so it's obvious it's the sleep apnea pushing my levels up. Wearing a mask at night in the summer isn't comfortable but if it will help I will do it. You are right, I should tell them how they make me feel! I shouldn/t keep quiet. Glad you sorted that doctor out! He sounds absolutely useless!

thingybobby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had sleep apnoea for many years and used a CPAP machine during that time.

I was only found to have T2 last November, but haven't heard of this link between the two?