Feeling disappointed !

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to the doctors today for result of my 6 month ha1bc blood test . Gone down from 6.3 to 6.2 my doctor was really pleased with result but I am not I really thought I would be in the 5"s and have a good argument for coming off medication . She told me I could not expect to be in the 5's as I am diabetic and under 6 is non diabetic ! I think since I have got my code free meter it seems to test lower than my contour XT and may have given me a false sense that things are better than they are . I was 7.8 at diagnosis 3 years ago so it has taken me this long to get to this result so I will just have to keep at it and prove her wrong. Have a good weekend everyone and enjoy the sunshine !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Connie I am so sorry you are disappointed. I don't know what else to say which upsets me because you helped me through my own disappointment earlier this week. I suppose at least you know it may be your new meter now, so you will have a better idea of the real figures for next time. Also the doctor was pleased even if you weren't. It would be even better to get in the 5's next time to prove her wrong......I am going now because anything I say is inadequate, I am not good with words at the moment and it's all coming out wrong but I just needed to say something to show you that I care.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Zand I think I had worked myself up for the argument I knew I would have about coming off the meds and in the end I could not argue so will have to save it for 6 months time !

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went to the doctors today for result of my 6 month ha1bc blood test . Gone down from 6.3 to 6.2 my doctor was really pleased with result but I am not I really thought I would be in the 5"s and have a good argument for coming off medication . She told me I could not expect to be in the 5's as I am diabetic and under 6 is non diabetic ! I think since I have got my code free meter it seems to test lower than my contour XT and may have given me a false sense that things are better than they are . I was 7.8 at diagnosis 3 years ago so it has taken me this long to get to this result so I will just have to keep at it and prove her wrong. Have a good weekend everyone and enjoy the sunshine !

Connie, don't forget your HbA1c is historic, so all of the good work you have done may not reflect just yet?

Have you looked at the various converters on here, which convert average an average meter reading to an estimated Hb number? But, probably worthwhile just watching trends on your meter, using those as a guide to whether your control is improving, slipping or staying fairly static.

I only average 3 tests a day these days; fasting plus before and after my main meal, so I have blood activity I am not tracking (although I believe I understand how the trends would look if I did more tests). On that basis, I either accept a variance in my testing and the more formal Hb score, or I have to test much more.

On balance, I'll trend watch.

Chin up, and keep going. This is the long game.

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Connie,
6.3 ->6.2 This time.
May have been 6.34 -> 6.19 in real terms so at the same rate you could be 6.0 next time (or lower0
Keep up the good work! You'll get there!

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Your nurse is obviously seeing all of the good hard work you're putting in and look at it this way, if you haven't got down as far as you want, you've at least made sure you're not getting any worse and minimising your risk of complications.

But I would disagree with her on one thing, you can definitely get into the 5's. My last HbA1c (last week) was 40, or 5.8. I'll take that anyday, and I'd challenge your nurse to tell me I'm not diabetic.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes exactly what I thought no reason why i can't be in the 5's. It was the doctor saying this maybe she saw I was disappointed and said that to make me feel better. Congratulations in your 5.8 hopefully I will join you in the not so distant future !

Reactions: 3 people