Feeling low BS on waking

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Over the last few weeks, upon waking I feel so tired, low energy, hungry, like my blood sugar is low. It has been between 4.2 and 4.7 by finger prick. CGM matches this and shows in and out of low all night. I immediately have to eat upon waking and don’t seem to be able to fast at all.
my fasting bs used to be a bit higher, I generally feel ok when my bs is above 5.
For background I have suspected RH, have cut down carbs massively over last 7 months. Currently waiting for longer fasting test to rule out insulinoma.
I’m hungry all the time and it is driving me crazy. Previously I was doing better. Only thing I can think of it is the seasons and eating less carbs in winter is harder? Thanks

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
Over the last few weeks, upon waking I feel so tired, low energy, hungry, like my blood sugar is low. It has been between 4.2 and 4.7 by finger prick. CGM matches this and shows in and out of low all night. I immediately have to eat upon waking and don’t seem to be able to fast at all.
my fasting bs used to be a bit higher, I generally feel ok when my bs is above 5.
For background I have suspected RH, have cut down carbs massively over last 7 months. Currently waiting for longer fasting test to rule out insulinoma.
I’m hungry all the time and it is driving me crazy. Previously I was doing better. Only thing I can think of it is the seasons and eating less carbs in winter is harder? Thanks
If I was getting hungry all the time, I would find some very low carb snack, that is bite size, like cheese, that also has a fair amount of natural fat, which will also help with the satiety. Pork scratchings is another and I'm certain you could come up wi with something that you enjoy.
Not everyone can fast, so don't worry or make yourself feel worse because of it, it took me a while to start doing it without thinking about food all the time, which is what in the end is important. It has to be a gradual thing. Or start trying to fast later in the day, if it's possible.
Thinking about food, is your brain reaction to lowering the amount of glucose derived from carbs, it doesn't like having less!
I still believe that what you are feeling with the lower but in normal levels, is that you body is still adapting to the low carb and the changes in dietary intake. It is quite common and individual, that some struggle with the changes, so if you can change little things as you become more experienced and from your results, the decision to which foods to have.
Be easy on yourself, I know has already taken time to start, but your BG levels are excellent, it is showing that something is working.
Keep asking, you are doing well.
my best wishes.

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for your kind reply. It has provided me with some much needed reassurance.
I think my body is changing and adapting, but it is not a smooth ride!
That’s a good idea about the high fat snacks, I shall look into that tomorrow. Thank you, your response is much appreciated.

• Friendly

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you very much for your kind reply. It has provided me with some much needed reassurance.
I think my body is changing and adapting, but it is not a smooth ride!
That’s a good idea about the high fat snacks, I shall look into that tomorrow. Thank you, your response is much appreciated.
Good saturated fats are so important to your health.
I know it's a really rocky road but not having rollercoaster BG readings and the hypos are so worth it.
And if you get a knock, use it to your advantage by being more determined, everyone has doubts.
Keep asking.
Best wishes.

Momma Jo

Hi,
Hi,
The seasons do matter.I am a type 2 diabetic who is in remission. Hba1c down from 107 to 37 and off medications. I find when the nights get longer I start eating nuts and fruit and at times desperately hungry. Experience has shown me it is temporary because by the middle of December it goes away. The theory explained to me is when we were living in caves food was scarce so you are biologically programmed to gain a little to tide you over winter when food was hard to obtain. I am ketogenic and eat very low carb. Don't worry about the hunger it will go away soon.

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
The seasons do matter.I am a type 2 diabetic who is in remission. Hba1c down from 107 to 37 and off medications. I find when the nights get longer I start eating nuts and fruit and at times desperately hungry. Experience has shown me it is temporary because by the middle of December it goes away. The theory explained to me is when we were living in caves food was scarce so you are biologically programmed to gain a little to tide you over winter when food was hard to obtain. I am ketogenic and eat very low carb. Don't worry about the hunger it will go away soon.
Thank you for your reply, glad to know I’m not the only one! Yes it was as the clocks went back, your explanation makes complete sense.
Congratulations on your excellent results with keto, must have been hard work!
I have upped the fats I am consuming and am finding eating lots of protein at breakfast helps with BS stability. It’s taken me a long time to gradually wean off the carbs.

• Winner

rosie04

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

If it’s any consolation I also wake in a similar way and don’t really function very well before eating, but my blood sugar usually isn’t low whilst I feel like this (4-5, more often 5). For me It’s definitely more dramatic in the winter, and i’m more hungry!

Giraffe 95

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
If it’s any consolation I also wake in a similar way and don’t really function very well before eating, but my blood sugar usually isn’t low whilst I feel like this (4-5, more often 5). For me It’s definitely more dramatic in the winter, and i’m more hungry!
Thank you, it’s not just me then!