Feeling more positive about my diabetes

tallpaul69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Like most newly diagnosed people i guess i started off scared, depressed and over whelmed by it. My DNS had basically left me too it till i have my first Hba1c (18th Oct) so i turned to here for guidance. To be honest it made me more confused because as a group we have so many different ideas/opinions on our condition. Which foods and which diet to follow polarise us and we do get defensive on these subjects if someone questions it! We do seem to be fairly unified in our opinion of the the NHS advice though and that testing is a good idea! I did begin to wonder if i'd done the right thing by joining the forums at this point as they weren't making it any clearer to me as to what i should do,and so i was down again :-( However i remembered reading a lot welcoming and encouraging posts, so i thought the info must be there just re-read it and see what happens. So in a calmer state of mind i did and found what i was looking for. My conclusion was, the only thing we share in common is our diabetes and a strong desire to control it, not let it control us. We will do this in a way that is as individual as we are even if we are taking similar steps to others and that is our prerogative. On this point, the community could do with taking a massive chill pill whilst remembering an opinion is just that, an opinion!

So, having read a lot and and taking it on board, I finally decided to try low carbing as MY diet of choice. I have at least six stone to loose so i can definitely do without some carbs! Bought a testing kit as advised and have been recording my levels for a little while now. Initially they were up and down like a roller coaster and not great. Since going LC, about a week, i have lost 4 kilos and my levels are mainly in the mid 5's low 6's pre and post meals regularly. I think this is a good thing on both counts hence the title of the post, but hey im still new to this.

Thanks to you all for scaring/confusing the bejesus out of me and empowering/enlightening me!!

Reactions: 17 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good post Paul and you make some good points, we can only ever talk from our own experiences and we shouldn't judge people for having a different opinion. Hope your good progress continues.

Reactions: 8 people

tallpaul69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks folks, I'm not really a big player in forums, more of a spectator. However this just came to me after browsing a few threads and i had to put into writing. I'll get back to watching now, well till next time lol

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks folks, I'm not really a big player in forums, more of a spectator. However this just came to me after browsing a few threads and i had to put into writing. I'll get back to watching now, well till next time lol
Paul.....I've never really done forums either, but this one of ours here is different- probably because we are all in the same boat! Keep watching and reporting in!!

Reactions: 7 people

tallpaul69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Just got back in after seeing the DNS and Doc from my first check up and one happy bunny. I was diagnosed in early July with type 2 and like most left to get on with it. Rabbit in a headlight syndrome set in then i started reading the posts on here and learning about the condition. Decided that low carb was the way forward for me and havent regretted it. So my before and after are:

22/7 weight 106.3 kg Hba1c 69 mmols first diagnosed.
15/10 weight 101.5k g Hba1c 46 mmols

my surgery has a target of 50 mmols or less, dont know if thats standard? And ive not been put on any meds :)

Needless to say im a happy chappy and want to say thank you to all you posters for the advice and guidance.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We all have a lot to thank this forum and its members for.

If you go to the top right of this page where your user name shows, hover over it and a drop down menu appears with lots of options. Just click on "signature" and you can then enter what you wish.

Reactions: 4 people

tallpaul69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
We all have a lot to thank this forum and its members for.

If you go to the top right of this page where your user name shows, hover over it and a drop down menu appears with lots of options. Just click on "signature" and you can then enter what you wish.

Cool, thank you