Type 2 Feeling Overwhelmed

Rachel1111

Hi , I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 one week ago. I had a Hbac1 of 5.7 but have slight numbness in my feet so was told to go on metformin straight away. I always thought I was healthy as I walk over 10,000 steps a day, slightly overweight (I need to lose 1 stone) and a waist of 34 inches.
I have now gone low carb (less than 60g a day), also joined the gym for weight resistant exercise.
I just feel so overwhelmed by the whole situation and feel myself getting depressed and extremely tired. Any suggestions to lift my mood please. I feel this is all a bit much.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 one week ago. I had a Hbac1 of 5.7 but have slight numbness in my feet so was told to go on metformin straight away. I always thought I was healthy as I walk over 10,000 steps a day, slightly overweight (I need to lose 1 stone) and a waist of 34 inches.
I have now gone low carb (less than 60g a day), also joined the gym for weight resistant exercise.
I just feel so overwhelmed by the whole situation and feel myself getting depressed and extremely tired. Any suggestions to lift my mood please. I feel this is all a bit much.

Are you in the UK?, a level of 5.7% isn't classed as diabetic as far as I'm aware, not even as pre diabetic. I'm no Doctor though so don't take what I say as gospel. x

Reactions: Rachel1111

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rachel
I know it’s so upsetting when getting diagnosed but you have type 2 and you can get on top of this, get yourself back into prediabetes range and possibly even better. You have done exactly the right things low carb, resistant exercise (this helps me immensely) you already walk 10,000 steps a day. I remember crying in my car in the hospital car park after I was diagnosed and even though it was a huge shock I managed to get into a routine with everything. I am sure you will too, sounds like you are doing great already. Keep going, you will start to see improvements with all your good work.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;

Hi Rachel1111,

It's normal to feel the way you do. Diabetes is a chronic illness that you have to monitor, but you can take care of it and it is not as bad as some other chronic illnesses. I have found communicating on this website has given me support and good advice. Hope you can find the same.

Cheers

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you in the UK?, a level of 5.7% isn't classed as diabetic as far as I'm aware, not even as pre diabetic. I'm no Doctor though so don't take what I say as gospel. x
You make an excellent point, just googled this and 6.5 is equivalent to 48mmol/mol
Rachel how was your HbA1c measured?

Rachel1111

You make an excellent point, just googled this and 6.5 is equivalent to 48mmol/mol
Rachel how was your HbA1c measured?

Thanks for your reply it may have been 57% but not sure how it was measured (I’ll have to check) Im in the Uk.
My home blood monitor check this evening after eating (leaving 2 hours) was 6.1

Rachel1111

Thanks for replying. I’m not sure how it was measured it may be 57% (I’ll have to check this) I am in the Uk
After checking my bloods this evening after dinner (waiting two hours) it was 6.1

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for replying. I’m not sure how it was measured it may be 57% (I’ll have to check this) I am in the Uk
After checking my bloods this evening after dinner (waiting two hours) it was 6.1
Definitely check It may well have been 57mmol/mol This is how my doctor measures it. If so I am sure you will improve on this and 48mmol/mol is not too far away. Mine was 108mmol/mol on diagnosis (I am type 1 though) but I have got it down to the fifties, mine varies a bit as type 1 can be hard to control! I am sure your next HbA1c will be better as you are doing all the right things. 6.1 2 hours after dinner is good I would be very pleased with that.

Rachel1111

Definitely check It may well have been 57mmol/mol This is how my doctor measures it. If so I am sure you will improve on this and 48mmol/mol is not too far away. Mine was 108mmol/mol on diagnosis (I am type 1 though) but I have got it down to the fifties, mine varies a bit as type 1 can be hard to control! I am sure your next HbA1c will be better as you are doing all the right things. 6.1 2 hours after dinner is good I would be very pleased with that.

You have done so well in bringing your numbers down, that is very encouraging. Thank you for your kind words

Reactions: Hertfordshiremum