Feeling slightly overwhelmed...

nstewart88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Me and my partner are getting married in September and have talked about trying for a baby as soon as we are married. As much as I am excited about entering this new stage in my life I am feeling slightly overwhelmed at the task that is in front of me. I'll be honest in saying that I haven't been the best type 1 diabetic and know that this is going to be hard work. It's not that I am uneducated regarding carb counting etc, I just think I have never fully accepted it. I am meeting with the diabetes team at the Royal Victoria Hospital In Belfast at the start February and have made it my goal to try really hard to bring my HBA1C down for the appointment, I know it wont be any were near a perfect level but getting it down will be a step in the right direction. In general I am a worrier and would really appreciate any advice or tips.

Thanks x

Vick22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Selfish people, liars, bad time keeping and mushrooms
Hi nstewart88, I was exactly the same as you when I decided it was time to start thinking about babies. I had spoken to my consultant about a year before we actually started trying to conceive so they were aware of my intentions and also so I could be prepared for what was ahead and to get started on reducing my hba1c. I was so scared that my readings would be detrimental to my future baby but believe me it's amazing what you can do when you really want to get those readings down! I was also put on an insulin pump, even though my levels had gotten to a good point, but as I suffer with dawns phenomenon it was naturally the next step for me.

I'm currently 30 weeks +4 days, my readings overall have been good, although it isn't easy. I wasn't prepared for all the hypos, loss of symptoms and then the highs that started in my 3rd trimester! Personally for me, I found that I was educated on the problems that can occur with high BG but not for what to look out for hypo wise etc as my pregnancy progressed. However, the first time I saw our baby on the 12 week scan the feeling of relief was overwhelming as I could see she was doing well and all those fears I had pre conception were starting to disappear.

You're naturally going to worry about every little thing, every reading that's higher than the advised level, but as long as you take it day by day, you'll stay in control. There will be times when you think you've lost your grip on your diabetes, I have been like this over Xmas, but as long as you have your partner and a good diabetes team to hand you will have all the help you need, and soon enough, you'll have a very healthy little baby to join your family.

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello what is your hba1c level now?
I didn't think I could do it but it is amazing what you can do when there is a baby growing inside-you just need to think a bit differently! It's honestly worth all the effort.
I've had two pregnancies -first a dd now 2 and twins-3months. I'm on a pump and personally don't feel I could have done it otherwise.
I've been diabetic 35yrs it just means you have to focus a bit and try not to have highs that may not have bothered you as much as before.
Good luck x

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I completely understand how you are feeling. I got married in August and always hoped I could start trying on honeymoon. With all the stress of planning a wedding my diabetics wasn't always given a 100%. Now the wedding is done me and my diabetics is my new project. I've been diabetic for 23 years and spent 20 of that uneducated on carbs etc and with terrible control, well dame right avoidance. Over the last 3 years I've slow gained more control and the pump has changed my life. I'm now seeing my DSN every month and last appointment was really positive. Having my hb1c done at the end of the month (last one was 8.4). I think the key for me is the support of my husband. He helps to weigh and count my carbs (nutritional scale with app is great) also putting your diabetes first is important. Which is my New Years resolution. I also find the amazing women on here and their photos of their beautiful babies a real inspiration. WE CAN DO IT : )

Reactions: 2 people

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The great thing is you are thinking about this well in advance, so you have lots of time to improve your hba1c (assuming you need to) before you start trying later in the year. It can seem scary to achieve the target levels, but take your time and make sure any changes you make are sustainable - that way you'll be able to keep it up, get your hba1c down and keep it down when the time comes. Do also tell your DSN what you are planning as you'll need to start taking folic acid a few months before trying to conceive if possible, and they may choose to move you to pump therapy if needed.