Feet and lower legs cold?

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi just wondering if anyone can help with problem of cold feet and legs even in a warm room? I have mentioned this to diabetic consultant, and he said he doesn't think nerve damage, but I can think what else it is, it's getting worse, I wear warm socks, but feel so cold sometimes, also hands at times, I get worse after eating, then I warm up hours later, then go cold again, I'm 66 and type 1 diabetic, have posted on here a few times hope some one can help, thanks.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought your diabetic consultant would have referred you on to get checked out, initially by a GP? Seems he's washed his hands of you.
I get chilly legs, feet and hands, but it was worse when my blood sugars were badly controlled. In my case, circulation is a contributory factor but I'm managing it with diet, drugs and plenty of exercise.
Equally in your case it could be something else.
I suggest you really need to get checked out by an expert. At the end of the day, if you don't know what's causing it you can't help yourself.
My comments are purely personal experience / anecdotal, I'm certainly no medic.
Best of luck.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I'me type 1 and suffer from painfully cold feat , but my mother who had no diabetes had the same complaint so maybe it is in our genes . Oh hah hah I know feat run in our family !

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi just wondering if anyone can help with problem of cold feet and legs even in a warm room? I have mentioned this to diabetic consultant, and he said he doesn't think nerve damage, but I can think what else it is, it's getting worse, I wear warm socks, but feel so cold sometimes, also hands at times, I get worse after eating, then I warm up hours later, then go cold again, I'm 66 and type 1 diabetic, have posted on here a few times hope some one can help, thanks.
Interesting one this. From my viewpoint: 1959 diagnosed Type 1; 2000 after 22 years at King's College London Outpatients became patient/outpatient at Addenbrooke's Hospital Cambridge. On first meeting, the head of the Diabetes Department said "I don't get you Grant, after what you have been through, I would have expected at least one foot off , if not two, but yours are in fantastic condition". Certainly they look it even now, but I have had cold feet even in the middle of Summer for as long as I remember. For some reason I didn't mention this. I have been extremely careful with foot care, such as never walking barefoot,
and since 1978 until 2013 have made great efforts to maintain good blood sugars. Since my pancreas transplant, my body has made my anxiety redundant. But I still have cold feet...
Have you had the sensitivity checks? Used to be done with the end of a feather and then very fine filaments. I have always passed those tests, and it might ease your mind to at least try this out, with assistance!
I wish you the best of luck

Reactions: Nannynet

Nannynet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I would have thought your diabetic consultant would have referred you on to get checked out, initially by a GP? Seems he's washed his hands of you.
I get chilly legs, feet and hands, but it was worse when my blood sugars were badly controlled. In my case, circulation is a contributory factor but I'm managing it with diet, drugs and plenty of exercise.
Equally in your case it could be something else.
I suggest you really need to get checked out by an expert. At the end of the day, if you don't know what's causing it you can't help yourself.
My comments are purely personal experience / anecdotal, I'm certainly no medic.
Best of luck.
Thanks for replying

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I nearly always have cold feet these days.
I suspect I have mild Raynaud's which was never checked out when I was younger even though my toes used to cramp when cold (my daughter was diagnosed) but it has got worse in recent years. My diabetic nurses and podiatry people always comment on it. Mild circulation issues as I age plus less exercise probably makes it worse even though recent checks show my heart is healthy - for my age.
Worth asking your GP?