Feet

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
Hi there,

Was cautioned to watch out for any feet problems. Feet seem to have gone very dry even though I rub in cream on surface not between toes.

Also seem to have mild discolouration across the tops of some of my toes where the dry skin looks brown or blackish. Hasten to add this is almost just an effect on the skin surface rather than deeper. I have also noticed that a small wound which had a scab about three weeks ago is still not healing.

Hate to ask but is it time to panic? :(

Regards
Jeremy

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Don't panic don't panic :lol: but go and see your GP or a podologist/chiropodist as soon as possible. I think you can self refer but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (I live outside the UK so I'm not sure). A wound that is not healing must be looked at asap.

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Don't panic don't panic :lol: but go and see your GP or a podologist/chiropodist as soon as possible. I think you can self refer but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (I live outside the UK so I'm not sure). A wound that is not healing must be looked at asap.

Thanks, what was that from Don't Panic, don't panic.....Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy may be?

In some ways I think I knew but it is so reassuring to get confirmation

Cheers
Jeremy

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Jeremy
Don't panic don't panic is said by Jonesy in Dad's Army. I don't know if you are old enough to remember that but it is still being repeated now. This evening in fact :)

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Hi Jeremy
Don't panic don't panic is said by Jonesy in Dad's Army. I don't know if you are old enough to remember that but it is still being repeated now. This evening in fact :)

Of course it was silly me, don't tell them your name Pike.

Lets just say that I was born the year Sputnick was launched and All Shook Up by Elvis was number one in the charts....and leave it at that :D

J

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Don't tell'im Pike :lol: So you remember it well then...

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Don't tell'im Pike :lol: So you remember it well then...

Think I'm going to do an American thing and claim the "fifth"

Got to go now, the sun is coming up, (no I'm not a vampire) and it's not raining so a day to get on with jobs outside.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards
Jeremy

ewan

Dislikes
kidneys, sci fi and hooror
I have funny things with my feet! i seem to suffer from atheletes foot almost constantly, a chemist would'nt sell me any cream and told me to see the doctor. (i bought cream alse where) but i saw gp's nurse for a DB review, she tested my blood flow to my feet and also the 'feely thing with a wire' she said all was good, but stated that i would need to show my feet untreated and with the prob! but i can only book an appointment in advance and dont want to live with itchy sore feet.

just thought i would share that, also first day on levemir

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
ewan »
I have funny things with my feet! i seem to suffer from atheletes foot almost constantly,

Try Daktarin cream its a non prescription item :D

Atheletes foot diabetics we are prone to fungal infections

When i was Diving also has fair bit of Atheletes foot episodes (trench foot)
I found that this stuff cleared it up nearly overnight

Daktarin cream you can get it from any chemist

Patient Information Leaflet
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/22855/PIL/DAKTARIN+INTENSIV+CREAM/
believe the quote was "Dont tell um your name PIKE!" :lol:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
So you're a fan too then :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
ewan said:
I have funny things with my feet! i seem to suffer from atheletes foot almost constantly, a chemist would'nt sell me any cream and told me to see the doctor. (i bought cream alse where) but i saw gp's nurse for a DB review, she tested my blood flow to my feet and also the 'feely thing with a wire' she said all was good, but stated that i would need to show my feet untreated and with the prob! but i can only book an appointment in advance and dont want to live with itchy sore feet.

just thought i would share that, also first day on levemir

ewan,

Suffered from athletes foot for years but don't seem to get bothered with it over the last couple of years, some of the over-counter treatments are next to useless and you would be better seeing your gp to get a more concentrated cream suitable for diabetic feet, try keeping your feet aired wherever possible and changing your socks 2 or 3 times a day can be beneficial to relieve the symptoms.

Nigel

bowell

Dislikes
Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring, don't panic'

'We're doomed, I say. Doomed'.

bowell

Dislikes
Just saying what worked for me

Believe it or not my GP prescribed this in the 1st place ?
10 years ago this was not a over the counter cream so i had to get a script

If you get a script for it you will get it for free being diabetic on Meds
if not its cheaper to pay for it ,bit like getting paracetamol on script £7 or pay 50p

last time wife picked some up for around £2, saved me trip to GP

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/22855/PIL/DAKTARIN+INTENSIV+CREAM/

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
bowell said:
Don't Panic Mr Mainwaring, don't panic'

'We're doomed, I say. Doomed'.

Watching repeat tonight? :)

ewan

Dislikes
thanks poeple for your help, i have used alsorts, then a chemist said 'caniston' so have used this, daily. I think i need to arm myself with sprays as well, so will spray shoes etc and use the cream but will mention to gp on next visit!! will try daktar as suggested as well.

used to love dads army, then spent 2 nights in ansterdam, it was the only thing playing on the telly

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ewan said:
thanks poeple for your help, i have used alsorts,

Fascinating, I have had a degree of atheletes foot for a while now and hadn't associated it with the the diabetes although I had tried changing my socks more than once a week (only joking). Not too easy at work changing them more than once a day but I will try some of the suggested creams. Thanks
Jeremy
jinstone

Private message

ewan

Dislikes
it might just be a singular prob and not connected with DB, i expect if poeple have poor circulation and nerve damage then this might make us prone, also high blood sugars. i will visit gp and see if there is a mega cream to zap once and for all, i wonder about oral tabs (like ladies use) ?

Maistan

I would suggest self referring yourself to a podiatrist and let them have a look. My blood sugar were very high last year and my feet were in an awful state, the podiatrist prescribed a cream with antibiotic,steriod and anti fungal and after two weeks my feet were so much better - I now follow the low carb diet have brought my blood sugar back into good control but still use the cream on my feet(as it is something that wont disappear quickly) but I cannot wait for summer to show off my feet again. Good luck but dont just ignore it........

bowell

Dislikes
For Gen interest

For all that have something to scratch :?

http://www.naturalnews.com/023462.html

Fungal infections in diabetes

Diabetes can give rise to several skin conditions, including bacterial infections such as sties, boils and carbuncles; fungal infections such as Candidiasis; and dry, itchy skin. High glucose levels in the blood can enhance the growth of fungi and skin is the flourishing site for it. Tinea pedis occurring between the toes and sometimes the fingers is most frequently caused by Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Trichophyton rubrum. Candida albicans is another common fungus that causes skin infections and it most commonly affects the vaginal and groin areas.

Three other common fungal infections are athlete's foot (affecting the skin between the toes), jock itch (red, itchy area on the genitals as well as inside of the thighs) and ringworm (ring-shaped, itchy, scaly patches or blisters that can appear on groin, feet, abdomen, chest and scalp or nails). Itching, blistering, swelling and dry flaky skin or severe scaling are the common symptoms of fungal infections.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Much cheaper to buy generic clotrimazole cream / spray / powder than Canestan - clotrimazole is the active ingredient.