Festivals

ilnar

Re: Festivals

shine is the problem,
it gets HOT, and the last thing you want is hot insulin!
failing that, easy on the drink and EAT WELL

weeezer

Take a few tubes of glucotabs/packs of dextrose. Stick a tube of glucotabs or dextrose upon your person (down yer bra or knickers) when you're away from tent so you're never without in case you drop low. You may even need to adjust your insulin down slightly if you are going to be dancin & a-boppin!?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

petrichor

I've done festivals when injecting before, with no problem :)

I ran a little bit higher, just incase of unexpected queues at the food places.

I'm on a pump now, so looking forward to T in the Park this year with it!

Remember to bring your baby wipes, cos it's really dirty if it rains, and you'll need clean sites for injections and testing.

Have a wonderful time and enjoy!! :thumbup:

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I've been to a load of festivals, the last one with a pump, take something to keep your insulin cold in very remote chance of heat, camping is fine, carry sweets, I don't advise vast amounts of alcohol and the same advice with drugs ( I personally find insulin enough!). Tell one lucky person you are a type 1 and what to do in an emergency and that's it, have a good time.

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I've been to several festivals and am working at Glastonbury this year. At Glastonbury you can store insulin in the fridge at the medical centre, worth doing this with spares as if something happens then you have a back up. I also take a spare meter and testing stuff.

If it's sunny then tents can get very hot

You'll probably find yourself a lot more active than normal so keep a close eye on your glucose and make sure you have some fast carbs on hand. (I reduce my basal the day before I go)

Baby wipes are a must!

Some sort of medic alert tag is a very good idea as if you are hypo then you could be mistaken easily for drunk or a bit drugged up

Which festival are you going to?

Have a fabulous time!

cosmicpoppy

Hi Heather 77,

I too go to lots of festivals & keep my insulin in a FRIO cooling wallet. It's very effective & keeps insulin at about room temp even when it's very hot outside. A medic tag and lots of gluco tabs are also essential. Have fun!! :)

Heather77

Fab I've brought a id bracelet and frio wallet, and it is Glastonbury I'm going to for the 6th time just the first time being a diabetic, which is a bit daunting but still as excited as normal yay, but that's great advice about adjusting my insulin thank you.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Can't add to the previous advice really, just wanted to say have a great time.:)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

C

chris lowe

Hi Heather, Lucky you getting tickets to glastonbury. The Stones are on my "must see before they pop their clogs" list so I'm very envious. I go to a festival in Cropredy each year (Fairport Convention's annual festival) and there is a St John's ambulance centre set up where you can store insulin if need be, so I would think most festivals have some sort of first aid presence. I wouldn't worry too much about camping, as long as you've got some antiseptic wipes, you can clean a site for the injection. Have a great time! :D

Heather77

Thank you everyone I really am looking forward to it, the stones have been on my list for forever I can not wait to see them. Just being there is fantastic and always feel like a lucky one to get a ticket, lets hope the weather is nice!

C

chris lowe

Sorry Heather, I've booked the good summer weekend for Cropredy in August! I don't care what the weather does all summer as long as it's fine that weekend (mind you after about 15 years of camping we are now semi detatched hippies and Travelodge) :lol:

C

chris lowe

And even though my son with be on security at Glasonbury, I'm still having the good weekend -he's young and can put up with the weather. :D

purrple11

Hi Heather,

I've been to loads of festivals as a Type 1 and Glasto four times without trouble, so really don't worry! Just be conscious of not letting your insulin over heat (but you have that sorted, I must check out those cool wallets, not heard of them before) and make sure you're with someone who knows you're diabetic at all times. I once had a hypo that made me sit down and burst into tears at a festival so it was useful having friends who made me do a test and then ran off to get me a sugary drink! But that is literally the only slightly bad thing that has ever happened and I've been to dozens of festivals over the years. I put that down to over-consumption of alcohol the night before so be aware of booze intake as it makes your levels drop the next day.
The ID tag is essential to wear at all times - not just at festivals and always keep glucose on you.
I tend to take less short acting insulin at festivals as you don't eat as much as you normally would and as you know, Glasto involves a lot of walking and dancing. Especially if it's hot as well (but that's a rare thing!).
Have a drink if you want one, just remember the next day your blood sugars will likely drop so try not to over-indulge. Avoid sugary booze as well, cider is very bad for diabetics! Drink lots of water too, dehydration isn't good for anyone.
Really, all you need is your insulin and plenty of gluco-tabs. It's sensible to take spares in case you lose or break anything.

Other than that - have fun! I saw the Stones at Isle of Wight Festival years ago and they were brilliant. You'll love it :D

traceymck

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I work the festivals and I am also a diabetic I akways take plenty water, snacks and most importantly make sure u know where first aid is keep a eye on your sugars and wear something that says u are a diabetic

Mr Happy

I think the only thing to add is to remember you're a diabetic. Sounds stupid but in all the excitement its easy to want to do everything your friends are and go crazy. If you need a break, some water, time away, then take it - there's always another festival!

Like Alice in Wonderland I didn't follow my advice last year and threw up in a girls welly due to dehydration, unfortunately her foot was still in the welly!