Few questions from a newbie

Grazer

Spot on Borofergie - I was going to reply myself but started to lose the will to live after reading yet another poisonous post :cry:

lindainsomerset

Hi Sooliz, just been put on Metformin (2 tabs/day), was diagnosed in August. I'm going on the DESMOND course on Friday, will be interesting to hear the diet advice! Will let you know if worthwhile. Also I was lucky enough to be given a testing meter, and strips on prescription. I had to ask for it, it wasn't offered, but worth asking. Good luck. x

sooliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Linda, I'm also in Somerset so will be very interested to hear what you think of the DESMOND course. How strange that you were given a meter/test strips on prescription, when I was told absolutely not! And yet we (presumably) are covered by the same health authority...... :?

Sue

Sandbox

Dislikes
BREAKFEST
Hi Sooli welcome i'm newly diagnosed here to back in May of this year within 6 weeks i was placed on Lantus 10 units slow acting insulin type 2 with dp. Your best defense is knowledge and there is alot here from alot nice peeps. Do not be affraid to look around at the froums and ask QUESTIONS lots of them. This is a fight for your Health not your NHS.
I live in the States my meter strips lancets insulin and oral meds are paid for by my insurance they also pay for courses so we can learn to prevent complications down the road thats where they save there money. I just joined DCUK yesterday i like you site nice set up well done all Adm. Carbs are our enemy we need to know what raises are BG so we can fight back sadly DP i'm lost it just happens and goes quite high by wake up this morn waas 195 or 10.83 lol was 107 or 5.9 at bed time so far no luck controling that but think it will come. The NHS sounds like our HMO'S where a few yaers ago know they have taken a different approach to health prevent complications cheaper in long run less hospital time.
I haft to test 3 times aday this is the way my doctors see what is going on so they can help prescribe the right medications to bennift me. Like i said i have DP monrnig is very high afternoon to bed are good. may need a fast acting insulin to help will see in january when i see my Endo. Yes testing and watching carbs exercise are all part of a heathly fight we need to do what is best for us.
So with that i say Good Luck and best Whishes RAY

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
AMBrennan said:
<snip>

As for the vast majority supporting this petition, how come you go to hairdresser to have your hair cut but insist that you can do a better job than NHS policy makers?

<Snip>

Oh, go on then, late to the party but I can still have some fun ;-)

Haven't been to the hairdresser (or barber - blokes tend to go to barbers) for decades.

I used to have my hair cut by my MIL, now my lady wife cuts it.
You don't have to slavishly pay a third party to sort out relatively simple things.

Also, have you met any NHS policy makers?
Have you dealt with people who work for the local PCTs?
Were they all seeing and all knowing gods and godesses?
Working for low pay because they didn't need the money?
Or were they fallible people struggling against bureaucracy (or had already ceased to struggle)?

It may be a surprise, but some people are at least as concerned with meeting targets set by their management as they are in delivering the best possible service regardless of cost.

So the official NHS policy may at times reflect the financial constraints within the organisation and not necessarily reflect the absolutely best result regardless of cost for the patient/end user.

Which is why people should push back if they think they are not getting the service they deserve and are paying for.

Cheers

LGC