Few Questions

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
After bolusing before meals, I took out the pen from the site and saw a white streak in the vial. I tipped the pen and it disappeared into the insulin with a bubble.

My question, would the white stuff be unmixed insulin or something else. Yes I worry a lot lol. Should I change the pen? I think how I injected was loose pen needle slipped out once.

Using Novolog Flexpen.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
After bolusing before meals, I took out the pen from the site and saw a white streak in the vial. I tipped the pen and it disappeared into the insulin with a bubble.

My question, would the white stuff be unmixed insulin or something else. Yes I worry a lot lol. Should I change the pen? I think how I injected was loose pen needle slipped out once.

Using Novolog Flexpen.
I'd change the pen and inform dn when I saw her next.
However if it worried me alot or it kept reoccuring I'd leave a message on her answering machine for a callback.

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd change the pen and inform dn when I saw her next.
However if it worried me alot or it kept reoccuring I'd leave a message on her answering machine for a callback.

What if pen was ok this am? I will check in with dn too though. I wonder if I didn't mix it too well last night.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
What if pen was ok this am? I will check in with dn too though. I wonder if I didn't mix it too well last night.
Why risk it when you have a fresh pen? Sometimes taking risks doesn't pay off. Especially with insulin. I used to use Humulin M3 and I always ensured it was mixed well. I got very good results and even took alot of excess weight off which has been unheard of for me for decades. I am type2 though.
With insulin I never risk it as any problem you have injected is very difficult to put right.
Are you ok this morning and no repercussions from any excess basal or bolus from a bad mix? Mind u my basal takes effect after a few days, not immediately.
Are you monitoring more? I would just so if a problem arises you are straight on remedying it.
Do you how to remedy bad hypos and hypers yourself?

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Why risk it when you have a fresh pen? Sometimes taking risks doesn't pay off. Especially with insulin. I used to use Humulin M3 and I always ensured it was mixed well. I got very good results and even took alot of excess weight off which has been unheard of for me for decades. I am type2 though.
With insulin I never risk it as any problem you have injected is very difficult to put right.
Are you ok this morning and no repercussions from any excess basal or bolus from a bad mix? Mind u my basal takes effect after a few days, not immediately.
Are you monitoring more? I would just so if a problem arises you are straight on remedying it.
Do you how to remedy bad hypos and hypers yourself?

I'm fine this morning. I'm also type two with insulin. My novolog pen is being odd even if I mixed and prime it before injecting it somehow separates in between. But it doesn't effect much. Yes I'm monitoring on the same pen since I asked the dn he said it was ok to use but I'm more careful on watching it. I was just taught how to remedy highs and lows thankfully.

Is it possible the insulin has gone bad? It's still working though just not mixing well.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think Novolog/NovoRapid doesn't need mixing. It's only cloudy insulins that need mixing.
Or am I off track?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've looked up novolog flexipen and I cannot see where it requires mixing. Can you post a picture of the leaflet of your insulin @purplesunsets ?
I know it is different to novarapid which definitely doesn't need mixing.

Maybe another novolog user may keep us right?
Anyone?

Last edited:

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Found a leaflet online. https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1600/pil

My bad it's Novolog mix flexpen :)
So yes this one does need you to roll it etc so some call it mixing.
It says.

Before your first injection with a new FlexPen®, you must resuspend the insulin:

Roll the pen between your palms 10 times – it is important that the pen is kept horizontal (level with the ground).

C

Then move the pen up and down 10 times between the two positions as shown, so the glass ball moves from one end of the cartridge to the other.

Repeat rolling and moving the pen until the liquid does appear uniformly white, cloudy and aqueous.

For every following injection

Move the pen up and down between the two positions at least 10 times until the liquid does appear uniformly white, cloudy and aqueous.

• Always make sure that you have resuspended the insulin prior to each injection. This reduces the risk of too high or too low blood sugar level. After you have resuspended the insulin, complete all the following steps of injection without delay.
Always check there are at least 12 units of insulin left in the cartridge to allow resuspension. If there are less than 12 units left, use a new FlexPen®. 12 units are marked on the residual scale. See the big picture on top of this instruction.

Do not use the pen if the resuspended insulin does not look uniformly white, cloudy and aqueous.

Attaching a needle

purplesunsets

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
So yes this one does need you to roll it etc so some call it mixing.
It says.

Before your first injection with a new FlexPen®, you must resuspend the insulin:

Roll the pen between your palms 10 times – it is important that the pen is kept horizontal (level with the ground).

C

Then move the pen up and down 10 times between the two positions as shown, so the glass ball moves from one end of the cartridge to the other.

Repeat rolling and moving the pen until the liquid does appear uniformly white, cloudy and aqueous.

For every following injection

Move the pen up and down between the two positions at least 10 times until the liquid does appear uniformly white, cloudy and aqueous.

• Always make sure that you have resuspended the insulin prior to each injection. This reduces the risk of too high or too low blood sugar level. After you have resuspended the insulin, complete all the following steps of injection without delay.
Always check there are at least 12 units of insulin left in the cartridge to allow resuspension. If there are less than 12 units left, use a new FlexPen®. 12 units are marked on the residual scale. See the big picture on top of this instruction.

Do not use the pen if the resuspended insulin does not look uniformly white, cloudy and aqueous.

Attaching a needle

Hmmm I guess maybe I didn't roll or resuspend enough. I live in a tropical climate it gets hot and humid even at night so I thought it was fine at room temperature when I took the new pen out of the fridge .