Fiasp experience? Highs

Aknitty

Hello
Am type one and 32 weeks, its my second pregnancy. I inject and have CGM.
Novorapid has just stopped working, have become so resistant. Am taking 1u:2g 60 mins before eating (low carb) and still spiking massively. So fed up.
Team have moved me to Fiasp, only tried it for one meal and still spiking at 15mmol. It was so strange taking it at the point of eating, it doesn't seem to be working as effectively I was told it would do?
If this doesn't work they are going to give me metformin I think.
I worked for a year to get my Hba1c at 45 and it has been brilliant throughout so far. Am so fed up now. Son was in NICU for a week and really wanted to avoid that again, feel it's all gone to **** again now and feel terrible ☹️

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm not pregnant but I do know pregnancy does cause to some extent insulin resistance because you're carrying an extra amount of weight and another passenger on board. Have you been in contact with your team about it? I was prescribed Fiasp today from Novorapid and it is in the early days but considering the amount of carbs I have eaten today, I didn't spike as bad as novorapid and I took it before I started to eat. I've been safe sailing at 5.5-7.8 throughout this afternoon and evening.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Aknitty,
Sorry to hear of your troubles and what the little one is doing to your diabetes.
Have you thought to check for ketones to see whether they are high and thus contributing to the insulin resistance? And at high bsls insulin seems to increase so adjustments are sometimes larger to combat these higher bsls. Your health team is your contact and advisor for this.
Some glucose meters can measure blood ketones with special strips - Contour Next, Freestle Optium Neo for example.
Also your health team could advise on adjustment of your Fiasp dose and whether your basal / long acting insulin might need adjustment also.
Best Wishes, and as you have probably been told it is the 1 hour after meals bsl which is measured as the post meal level to watch. :):):)

Aknitty

Hello MeiChanski
Thanks for your reply. Yes they moved me into Fiasp. They told me to only take it 3 mins before eating but I am finding it doesn't reach the spikes in time. What were you told about injection timing? Am tempted to go earlier like I was with Novorapid but unsure how early to do it and can't find much out online. Thanks x

Hello, I'm not pregnant but I do know pregnancy does cause to some extent insulin resistance because you're carrying an extra amount of weight and another passenger on board. Have you been in contact with your team about it? I was prescribed Fiasp today from Novorapid and it is in the early days but considering the amount of carbs I have eaten today, I didn't spike as bad as novorapid and I took it before I started to eat. I've been safe sailing at 5.5-7.8 throughout this afternoon and evening.

Aknitty

Hi Kitedoc

Thanks for your reply.
Good thinking with the ketones, my team didn't mention that. I do test them when my blood is high and they have been good this pregnancy. I developed them last time when I tried to cut down on carbs too much

Hi @Aknitty,
Sorry to hear of your troubles and what the little one is doing to your diabetes.
Have you thought to check for ketones to see whether they are high and thus contributing to the insulin resistance? And at high bsls insulin seems to increase so adjustments are sometimes larger to combat these higher bsls. Your health team is your contact and advisor for this.
Some glucose meters can measure blood ketones with special strips - Contour Next, Freestle Optium Neo for example.
Also your health team could advise on adjustment of your Fiasp dose and whether your basal / long acting insulin might need adjustment also.
Best Wishes, and as you have probably been told it is the 1 hour after meals bsl which is measured as the post meal level to watch. :):):)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello MeiChanski
Thanks for your reply. Yes they moved me into Fiasp. They told me to only take it 3 mins before eating but I am finding it doesn't reach the spikes in time. What were you told about injection timing? Am tempted to go earlier like I was with Novorapid but unsure how early to do it and can't find much out online. Thanks x
I was told it lasts about the same as novorapid but not really prior to eating. So I suggest asking your team because of your little one, but some diabetics have said they did it just as the food was about to touch their mouth - which I did yesterday and only spiked from 5.4 - 9.8, then came down to 6.3 for the duration of the evening. So in other words, it's very speedy insulin.

Reactions: Aknitty