1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Fiasp in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Kateyo, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Kateyo

Kateyo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

Just wondering whether anyone is using this during pregnancy? I’ve been on it now for quite a while and found that, even before I fell pregnant, it seems to have lost its effect. I’ve been pre-bolusing for a while now but it just doesn’t seem to cut it with pregnancy either, for me anyway. I rise after my meal and then stay up there and have to correct. Now this may be due to pregnancy hormones but I’m considering going back to apidra/novorapid as they do seem to last longer although I know the prebolus will have to be much longer probably. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this... thanks :)

2. saruhbeau

saruhbeau Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use humalog so no experience of fiasp. But I definitely experienced similar problems in early pregnancy and now I am further along my insulin requirements have also increased massively which is normal. I would be inclined to think it' mainly down to pregnancy.

I would probably do basal and bolus testing and increase your basal and ratios if needed before switching insulin. Do you use a pump?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kateyo

Kateyo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @saruhbeau thanks for your reply :) I think you’re probably right and it’s a hormone issue more than anything. I might switch back to apidra and see what happens to rule it out just because fiasp seems to hold me steady for up to an hour after eating and then I start to rise and quite quickly. I need to basal test in the evening for sure as I think there is something going on there but I’m so hungry at the minute and low carbing as best I can that I haven’t been able to manage it yet :arghh: luckily I have a dexcom so I can watch and act on it pretty quickly. I definitely remember my issue being low sugars at this point in my first pregnancy but I guess every pregnancy is different! I read another post about your HG, sorry to hear that you’re having a hard time with it, pregnancy with diabetes is hard enough! I hope it starts to settle for you soon xx

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook