FIASP Question

D4rren2016

I got put on this a month or so back and things where fine, did its job and my Blood sugars rarely spiked. However into my 5th week now and I'm finding them spiking a lot higher pretty much most of the time about 3 hours after a meal so I'm constantly having to correct. Now I'm sure I read somewhere that after using this for a while you may have to increase the amount of insulin for a while but it should calm down again. Is tis correct as I'm seriously considering moving back to Novorapid. Doesn't help I moved to Tresiba as a long acting at the same time but I've fasted to check my background amount and that seems pretty ok most of the time. Long question I know.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @D4rren2016 , one of the posters here, Tim, has written extensively about fiasp on his website, so might be worth having a browse there.

Here's one of the articles, and there's a few others in the links at the foot of it:

https://www.diabettech.com/faster-insulin/new-kid-on-the-block/

The bad news seems to be that fiasp works very well for some people, but not for others, and, as you seem to be finding, sometimes works ok to start with and then seems to get worse.

The articles are mainly about using fiasp with a pump. I've read a few threads from people MDI'ing with it and there seems to be mixed results there too.

Haven't tried it myself, was keen to do so when it first came out, but then started reading some of the real life reports and thought I'd bide my time.

I was still thinking for a while about asking for a move to it, and I'd wondered whether, with it unwrapping really quickly, it's burned its jets too quick and there simply isn't enough left to deal with lower GI meals, beans, brown rice, that sort of stuff, where the absorption is still happening a fair few hours after first bite, and whether delaying the bolus till after a low GI meal would make a difference.

Reactions: D4rren2016

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Doesn't help I moved to Tresiba as a long acting at the same time but I've fasted to check my background amount and that seems pretty ok most of the time.

As it’s happening nearly all the time after meals - unless you nearly always eat low gi meals as Scott mentions, where fiasp’s release profile may struggle at 3 hours or so - maybe you could reevaluate your Tresiba dose. Your needs there may have changed anyway as you adapt to it or just change naturally (mine change every couple of months - less in summer, more in winter).

I’d tweak up the tresiba if I were you, though remember it does take a few days to take affect.

I’m a big fan of fiasp (shorter pre bolus, quicker corrections) so would try and get it working for you, but ymmv as it does for some other folks.

D4rren2016

As it’s happening nearly all the time after meals - unless you nearly always eat low gi meals as Scott mentions, where fiasp’s release profile may struggle at 3 hours or so - maybe you could reevaluate your Tresiba dose. Your needs there may have changed anyway as you adapt to it or just change naturally (mine change every couple of months - less in summer, more in winter).

I’d tweak up the tresiba if I were you, though remember it does take a few days to take affect.

I’m a big fan of fiasp (shorter pre bolus, quicker corrections) so would try and get it working for you, but ymmv as it does for some other folks.

Again thank you for the advice, this was a thought I had also. As im new to them both I guess its getting that balance right. I want fiasp to work as ive heard good stuff about it and like you, my sister is a big fan of it.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi darren ive been using fiasp for a few months now i find that if i eat a particulary fatty meal my bgs rise about the 3 hour mark so what i do now is split my bolus and it seems to work out fine for me :)

Reactions: D4rren2016

D4rren2016

hi darren ive been using fiasp for a few months now i find that if i eat a particulary fatty meal my bgs rise about the 3 hour mark so what i do now is split my bolus and it seems to work out fine for me :)

Cheers how long do you leave between the split ?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About an hour
I do the same! I have also found that if I pre bolus too early Fiasp goes into action before the food takes affect. So that contributes to higher numbers. It is hard to mentally not pre bolus after doing it up to an hour ahead when on Humalog. But 6 weeks in am doing better at it. My consultant told me it would be a lot of trial and error, which it is.

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do the same! I have also found that if I pre bolus too early Fiasp goes into action before the food takes affect. So that contributes to higher numbers. It is hard to mentally not pre bolus after doing it up to an hour ahead when on Humalog. But 6 weeks in am doing better at it. My consultant told me it would be a lot of trial and error, which it is.
Good to hear its settling for you becca i was originally on apidra but find the fiasp much better x