1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

FIASP users on pumps

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by bonerp, Sep 19, 2019.

1. bonerp

bonerp · Well-Known Member

Hi I've just started on Fiasp from Apidra in a pump. I'm delighted with how quickly it works and thinking about taking it AFTER a meal!
    But I am feeling low quite soon after and I appear to need LESS insulin both basal and bolus.
    Have you found the same thing? I don't want to reduce basal quite so soon but feel that maybe my 1:10 ratio needs to be 1:15 (ie 1 unit per 15g carbs rather than 1:10 which I did before).
    thanks

2. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I have been using Fiasp since the start of the year and did not find a need to change any of my doses.

One thing to be aware of is that many of us find that Fiasp does not last as long out of the fridge. After about 2 week, it starts to lose its potency.
    I know some people return their open vial to the fridge between pump set changes. However, be aware, cold insulin is more susceptible to air bubbles so is not usually recommended.
    I keep my in use vial out of the fridge as I carry it around with a syringe as my back up plan if my pump failed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have been on Fiasp for around 8 months now. As Helen has mentioned if you keep the vial out of the fridge then it does start to loose its strength and ends up like water! I return mine to the fridge between set changes and take it out around an hour before my set change is due to avoid the dreaded bubbles.
    When I first started on Fiasp it worked really quick but seems to have slowed down in the time it takes to work. I still pre-bolus but only around 10-15 mins before I eat

4. bonerp

bonerp · Well-Known Member

Yes I saw this in an earlier post.
    I'm definitely requiring less! Even had a pizza last night and no spikes whatsoever. I love this stuff. BGs are flat lining like never before :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook