Fiasp

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So since starting using Fiasp I've noticed increasingly that its action curve has been flattening. By that I mean, its peak is less and less effective and its tail is more and more effective. The more this happens the harder I'm finding it to match dosage times to my meals. My main technique has been pre-bolusing a lot more than I did when I first started using, but even doing that hasn't exactly fixed the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any ideas why the action curve is flattening? Even if you don't, did you find any techniques particularly useful in combatting this problem?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
For me it was very similar to my humalog.. except it’s peak was a little earlier

However I’ve read elsewhere where many people have had mixed results with it.. some even saying it was slower/less effective

But if you need more then something isn’t quite right

Try a new pen/cartridge just to be sure it’s not been out of the fridge too long

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me it was very similar to my humalog.. except it’s peak was a little earlier

However I’ve read elsewhere where many people have had mixed results with it.. some even saying it was slower/less effective

But if you need more then something isn’t quite right

Try a new pen/cartridge just to be sure it’s not been out of the fridge too long
Thanks Searley, that's similar to my experience with Humalog (well, so far at least).

It's not so much needing more. It's just the stronger the tail gets the harder it is to avoid late lows. If I set my ratio solely to avoid late lows, my dose is so Low that my Blood Sugar just rockets once the food begins to digest.

Reactions: oldgreymare

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Searley, that's similar to my experience with Humalog (well, so far at least).

It's not so much needing more. It's just the stronger the tail gets the harder it is to avoid late lows. If I set my ratio solely to avoid late lows, my dose is so Low that my Blood Sugar just rockets once the food begins to digest.

Where I struggled was with pre-bolusing
If your not careful it starts working before the carbs do

I found taking it immediately before or during the meal help prevent the risk of post meal hypos

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely get good results doing that with Lunch but Breakfast and Dinner I frequently spike like crazy if I do that.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I definitely get good results doing that with Lunch but Breakfast and Dinner I frequently spike like crazy if I do that.
Just have to play with the time period a little.. you may also find splitting the dose may help?

I had other issues with fiasp though and have gone back to humalog

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just have to play with the time period a little.. you may also find splitting the dose may help?

I had other issues with fiasp though and have gone back to humalog
No, I’ve not tried splitting Fiasp yet. Initially the action I got from it suited my food so well, it seemed like an unnecessary complication. I might have to switch back to splitting as that worked well for me with Humalog.