**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hi.
I am currently reading Think Like A Pancreas which I am finding really quite interesting. There have been a few lessons learned so far (and I'm just up to page 91) including this...

If a food is high in fibre, such as bread, then you take the grams of fibre off the total carbohydrate amount.

The example Gary Scheiner uses is ...
High fibre cereal that contains 8g of fibre and 31g total carbohydrate should be counted as 23g of carbs.

Is this something typically not taught by the NHS or did I fall asleep in that part of my DAISY/DAFNE course?

Also, what would then class as high fibre?

Michelle x

GerryDavies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Hi.
I am currently reading Think Like A Pancreas which I am finding really quite interesting. There have been a few lessons learned so far (and I'm just up to page 91) including this...

If a food is high in fibre, such as bread, then you take the grams of fibre off the total carbohydrate amount.

High fibre cereal that contains 8g of fibre and 31g total carbohydrate should be counted as 23g of carbs.

Is this something typically not taught by the NHS or did I fall asleep in that part of my DAISY/DAFNE course?

Michelle x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

Michelle x
Hi Michelle.. that's not correct for the UK. Nutritional info here excludes fibre from the carb count so no need to subtract.

GerryDavies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Hi Michelle
The US has different nutritional label rules from EU. The EU labels fibre separately from carbs so you don't have to do the subtraction. The US includes fibre as a subtotal of carbohydrates and lists as: Total Carbohydrates X gm...of which fiber Y gm.
Fibre is important for so many reasons going way beyond the usual suspects of bowel regularity, eg immune regulation, reducing intestinal permeability, substrate for microbially produced nutrients and vitamins (SCFA, vitK2, Vitb12, etc). If you need fibre but don't want the carb calories search on fiberflour either on this site or wwweb.
Cheers, Gerry

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Ah that makes sense. I did get a bit confused when the book said that fibre is labelled under carbs. I had been able to differentiate between the US standard practice and the way we do things until this bit!
Thanks @GerryDavies and @bulkbiker
X