Fibroscan results

IrishNan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A bood test in January were it was first suggest I had diabetes was changed some weeks later to prediabetes
However it also should very high levels of ferritin
I have now had a fibroscan and it shows F3/F4 results, more bloods looking for overload and iron
and have an appointment end month to see consultant
I have seen that the score is not looking good ….. can anyone shed any light on this for me
You were all lovely earlier in the year with pockets of advice. Thanks a million:)

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Irish nan , what were your results specially your ferritin levels and transferritin saturation.
And also your hba1c or ogtt ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A bood test in January were it was first suggest I had diabetes was changed some weeks later to prediabetes
However it also should very high levels of ferritin
I have now had a fibroscan and it shows F3/F4 results, more bloods looking for overload and iron
and have an appointment end month to see consultant
I have seen that the score is not looking good ….. can anyone shed any light on this for me
You were all lovely earlier in the year with pockets of advice. Thanks a million:)

IrishNan - This sort of problem isn't something I'm overly familair with, and haven't seen too many posts, specifically about liver fibrossis on the foru,. Of course, I could have missed "stuff".

I don't know where else you are looking for help, but I use another forum, called "HealthUnlocked" for issues with my thyroid, and find it to be excellent. They also have a section of the forum for liver issues, supported by the British Liver Trust. I feel certain they'd have a decent handle on your liver issues. You can find that forum here: https://healthunlocked.com/britishlivertrust/posts

As I say, I have never used that part of the HealthUnlocked site, but I would be hopeful. Obviously, here we would be keen to help you with your pre-diabetes.

On a very general note, one thing I have never forgotten from my physiology training many moons ago, is that the liver can be a bit of a wonder organ, and given a following wind, it can have extraordinary powers of recovery. I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

IrishNan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Irish nan , what were your results specially your ferritin levels and transferritin saturation.
And also your hba1c or ogtt ?

Thank you for your reply

Feb 2019 Blood test 1 hbalc was 48 ferritin 567
Mar 2019 Blood test 2 hbalc was 46 ferritin 431

I have to say I am trying to keep positive

IrishNan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
IrishNan - This sort of problem isn't something I'm overly familair with, and haven't seen too many posts, specifically about liver fibrossis on the foru,. Of course, I could have missed "stuff".

I don't know where else you are looking for help, but I use another forum, called "HealthUnlocked" for issues with my thyroid, and find it to be excellent. They also have a section of the forum for liver issues, supported by the British Liver Trust. I feel certain they'd have a decent handle on your liver issues. You can find that forum here: https://healthunlocked.com/britishlivertrust/posts

As I say, I have never used that part of the HealthUnlocked site, but I would be hopeful. Obviously, here we would be keen to help you with your pre-diabetes.

On a very general note, one thing I have never forgotten from my physiology training many moons ago, is that the liver can be a bit of a wonder organ, and given a following wind, it can have extraordinary powers of recovery. I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

Thank you I am aware there is bronze diabetes which is due to iron overload. I will take your advice and look at the forum above

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I am aware there is bronze diabetes which is due to iron overload. I will take your advice and look at the forum above

Please just be assured, I'm not trying to shoo you away, but just trying to ensure you get as much information and experience as possible.

hazelzac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply

Feb 2019 Blood test 1 hbalc was 48 ferritin 567
Mar 2019 Blood test 2 hbalc was 46 ferritin 431

I have to say I am trying to keep positive

Any progress? Any diagnosis ? Good luck for everything

Dalkeyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone with genetic haemochromatosis, your results mirror the key markers of that condition. Your ferritin levels are high but not excessively so - mine was 5,250 at the time of diagnosis. If you have the condition treatment by venesection is simple and effective and can reverse organ damage.
Your consultant will certainly order a further ferritin test, together with transferrin saturation. He or she should also request an HFE gene study to confirm or otherwise a diagnosis of genetic haemochromatosis. If not, demand that they do so.

IrishNan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to say thank you everyone for your support most kind as I realise I may not be on the correct site
I realise that my health is not running to plan and can easily fit into one category
I am now diagnosed as a haemochromatosis carrier and like some (25% of carriers) I am have symptoms
My liver is F3 F4 but the liver consultant did not speak of diabetes just asked if I was diabetic?
I have been tested for bladder cancer and give thanks that it was clear, but still have symptoms
I am now going for a CT scan on my kidney which is blocked and dilated

At the moment no one is bothered about the diabetes and I have no idea if I am still pre or have or not the disease. I see a dietician this month. GP said the world health has changed the base line
I would value what diet to follow as fat isn't good for the liver and I am trying to cut out all sugar. I lost 2 stone very quickly from December 2018 but now that has levelled I am trying to shed more can't take it off can't put it on! I do look at how many carbs are in things but do I do that and count calories

I realise this site is only for diabetes so the above is history - can anyone suggest what next as far as my blood sugar is concerned
and if any of the above will effect the sugar levels and when should I ask for more blood sugar tests etc