finally got a date!!

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
hiiiiiii,

haven't been on here in aggggesss!

but came on to say i finally have a date for my pump (21st feb) after waiting about 16 months for one, yey!!

i will be using the accu check combo (one ive had my eye on)

to prepare i'm using the handset and mimicking my boluses with a pen instead of pump.

im so excited and wanted to share with the world

:)

spanks

iHs

Well Done.

It pays to be patient. Nice to see that they have given you the handset to use with your pen. I had some trouble with my Combo in December and use the handset to tell me how much insulin I needed and then used the menu to tell the handset that I was using my pen to deliver it. I just rounded up the bolus to the nearest half unit.

Nice to see you post again :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased for you ebony, keep us posted how it goes with the pump! :)

Nigel

happydays

Hi Ebony,

Congratulations on getting a start date. I am also starting on the Accu-Check Combo my start date is the 23rd Feb. I have read all the manual's about the pump, but as of yet I haven't turned it on. I was really interested in hearing that you are using the handset already. Have you decided on which infusion set you will be using? or are you just going for the basic one sent with the pump.

This is all new to me, but I have done lots of reading about what involved.

Any tips would be grateful.

Good luck with you start date

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fantastic news! :) I bet you feel Feb can't come quick enough :)

ebony321

Dislikes
thanks guys!

it definately does pay to be patient, i would have got one by now but the pump nurse was off sick for a few months, and i was amongst a few waiting so im pleased to find that there will be three of us getting it fitted on the 21st :)

unfortunately the pens i use right now don't go to half units so i'm rounding up or down to the nearest unit also, i guess it's also useful to know how to use pens incase the pump malfunctions later on :)

it's good to post again, i've been reading bits and pieces but getting a date made me want to post so here i am :)

good to hear happy days! as i've been waiting a while i've read quite a bit about the different pumps and how they work etc

we were given the manual for the pump but only advised to read the handset section, but im naturally curious so i will probably read it all by feb :lol:

I've had look at the infusion sets and i like the flex link because you can use the assist as sometimes im a bit hesistant with pushing the needle in!

i will definately keep you posted and let you know what happens first few days happydays that could be useful especially as we will be using the same pump :)

thanks again im very very excited!!

jopar

I've just up-graded from the old Spirit to the Combo, many improvements on the old spirit pump, and I do like the handset...

The Roche rep will have the different infusion sets both in tube length and cannular size for you to look at before chosing, if you aren't quite sure which type or tube length will suit best, you can have a samples so that you can actually try over the next few weeks before you decide...

I've always used the Tenderlink 13mm (angled) with a 60cm tube, as I self insert my canulars (I heard the inserter fire put me striaght off :lol: ) I perfer the angled canular because I very skinny to very limited to body fat, having the angled infusion sets, means I don't hit muscle or kink the canular with it catching the underlying needle, but different sets will suit different people..

A good book to invest in, know as the pumper bible is Pumping Insulin by John Walsh...

And to start off with, remember when you first swapped over to the pump, even though you would have at least reduced your background insulin the night before, it's effects can last a couple of days before fully burning out your system.. So it's best to wait for a couple of days before starting to test basal rates for changing, just do the testing for monitoring to prevent high's or hypo's..

Pining the Basal Rate is probably one of the most important parts of pumping, if this is out then everything else will be, but do remember when sorting them work on one area at a time, don't make two many changes at once as you won't know what did or didn't work!

Good luck for the 23rd of feb

Hazza

Hi ebony and congratulations on the pump. We use the Accuchek combo as well and it has made a huge difference to us. When we started just before Christmas we were using the 6mm flexlink plus cannulas and they were ok at first but then we got a few high readings and after changing the cannula we noticed that the old one had a kink in it which was restricting the insulin flow. Lily is really skinny and we felt that this was probably the reason for the kinks. We have now started using the Rapid D Link 6mm steel cannulas and find that they suit us much better.
As has been said already try the different sets before setling on one. We all have different needs and that is why there are a few ones to try, you may find that the Flexlink works for you.
Good luck with it.

Harry

ebony321

Dislikes
Hazza said:
Hi ebony and congratulations on the pump. We use the Accuchek combo as well and it has made a huge difference to us. When we started just before Christmas we were using the 6mm flexlink plus cannulas and they were ok at first but then we got a few high readings and after changing the cannula we noticed that the old one had a kink in it which was restricting the insulin flow. Lily is really skinny and we felt that this was probably the reason for the kinks. We have now started using the Rapid D Link 6mm steel cannulas and find that they suit us much better.
As has been said already try the different sets before setling on one. We all have different needs and that is why there are a few ones to try, you may find that the Flexlink works for you.
Good luck with it.

Harry

i'm glad it's made a huge difference for you and lily, i hope it has the same effect on me :)

I liked the look of the steel cannulas but the though of feeling it puts me off a little so i thought i'd try teflon first then if they don't work i'll try others after as i didnt like the look of the one which is insterted vertically either! i'm not skinny but i'm not overweight so maybe it'll work for me who knows :)

Do you think if i asked nicely accu-chek would send me a few of each to try out when i get the pump?

Hazza

Ebony, I would ask the Diabetes nurse to see what they have, they will probably have some different types you could try as they are in contact with the reps. The steel cannulas are only as long as a needle for injecting so there would be very little difference in using this and injecting with a regular pen. I think it is the thought that puts people off, however we use Emla cream to numb the site before inserting and Lily doesn't feel a thing. She loves her pump as I am sure that you will.
:D

Harry

ebony321

Dislikes
Hazza said:
Ebony, I would ask the Diabetes nurse to see what they have, they will probably have some different types you could try as they are in contact with the reps. The steel cannulas are only as long as a needle for injecting so there would be very little difference in using this and injecting with a regular pen. I think it is the thought that puts people off, however we use Emla cream to numb the site before inserting and Lily doesn't feel a thing. She loves her pump as I am sure that you will.
:D

Harry

i just prefer the idea of the teflon being flexible i think, but i'll see i may eat my words :lol:

how old is lily if you dont mind me asking?

:)

iHs

Ebony

The best way to get hold of some samples is to ask the dsn to ask the pump rep to bring an assortment to the hospital when you get the pump. If you are not able to do this, Accu chek will send you some sets but will charge them to your pct as they come in boxes of 10 which is naughty of them as they could easily open some boxes and send samples out.

As sets go Accu chek do 5. The latest being the Flexlink Plus which comes with an inserter and has a 6 or 8mm teflon cannula. It completely elimates needle stick injury as the infusion set when put in the inserter, activates the introducer needle, otherwise it is hidden unless you intend to put it in without the inserter ( you then press the blue button inwards to activate it). It's my guess that the pump rep will show the Flexlink Plus first. It is fairly simple to put in and is more or less painless. A slight downside to both the Flexlink and the Flexlink Plus is that the tube needle clip is encased in a sort of protecter shield (again to elimate needle stick injury) and at times it's hard to know if insulin has been primed through the tube ok. The only way you know is when you see a tiny puddle of insulin on the worktop or sink. Accu chek do supply you with a pathetic plastic magnifying glass but do yourself a favour and get a decent one as you will need to look at the tube to see if there are any tiny air bubbles in it.

You'll have fun and games trying to fill the cartridges up with insulin. I've now cut a small V shape nick with a pair of sharp scissors on both sides of the blue vial adaptor that is supplied so that I can pull the insulin bottle off easily.

If you get air bubbles in the cartridge slowly push the plunger up to send the bubble back into the vial and then try to withdraw again. You will probably have to do this a few times before you are able to get a cartridge without any bubble in it. The cause of my problems with the pump and the E4 occlusion errors that I kept getting was all down to me and my silliness in trying to fill the cartridges by injecting air into air instead of air into insulin. It was only when I started a new bottle of insulin that I realised where I had been going wrong. So won't be doing that again as it caused me so much hassle.

I have now used all the Accu chek sets and although the Flexlinks are nice they do need to be replaced approx every 2 days whereas the Tenderlink can go 3 days easy. The Rapid D Link that Harry has mentioned is good so am keeping that for my arms and legs and will use the Tenderlink on my tummy and love handle area.

Good luck with it all. Accu chek's training manuals are very good so I doubt you will need too much help from your dsn.

Enjoy :)

ebony321

Dislikes
Hi iHs,

There are 3 of us getting fitted for the pump at the same time so maybe if i did get 10 of a few it could be useful for all!

Thanks for all that, i've just added this to my favourites so i can refer back to it as that sounds like it could save me a lot of grief :)

i'm slowly reading the manual and i think it's very well set out so easy to follow!

i'm sure in my first few days this place will be flooded with posts from me, hopefully happy ones :lol:

Hazza

Hi Ebony, Lily will be 8 on the 25th of January. She thinks that she is 18 however and needs reminding sometimes :D . She was diagnosed on 2nd June 2010 and has been on MDI up untill the beginning of December when we started pumping. The health authority in our area would like to get all the kids on pumps and is doing a great job but obviously funding is difficult. Luckily our Diabetes nurse is fantastic and is always there when you need her.
We also belong to a parent support group who organise trips and other fun stuff for the kids to do like pantos and Flamingo Land etc. They are a great bunch of people and have all been through what we are going through now.
I hope all goes well for you.

Harry

ebony321

Dislikes
Hazza said:
Hi Ebony, Lily will be 8 on the 25th of January. She thinks that she is 18 however and needs reminding sometimes :D . She was diagnosed on 2nd June 2010 and has been on MDI up untill the beginning of December when we started pumping. The health authority in our area would like to get all the kids on pumps and is doing a great job but obviously funding is difficult. Luckily our Diabetes nurse is fantastic and is always there when you need her.
We also belong to a parent support group who organise trips and other fun stuff for the kids to do like pantos and Flamingo Land etc. They are a great bunch of people and have all been through what we are going through now.
I hope all goes well for you.

Harry

Awwe, happy birthday to lily for the 25th then :)

bless her, sounds like she takes it all in her stride and it's great you have a fantastic nurse too.

The parent support group sounds great too, it's always nice to know someone understands what you've been through/are going through.

Thanks harry, i hope the pump continues to make a great difference to both you and lily :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello
and congratulations its very exciting isnt it we are going in this mon coming to be fitted with a medtronic pump and feel very excited and nervous about it all. its lovely hearing so many people are now being considered for pumps even if it is a bit of a wait to get one (we waited 11 months so not quite as long as u) good luck for the future
anna marie

ebony321

Dislikes
ams162 said:
hello
and congratulations its very exciting isnt it we are going in this mon coming to be fitted with a medtronic pump and feel very excited and nervous about it all. its lovely hearing so many people are now being considered for pumps even if it is a bit of a wait to get one (we waited 11 months so not quite as long as u) good luck for the future
anna marie

Hi, thanks!

and congratulations on yours too! i hope it all goes well, must get very exciting when it gets really close!

I've noticed alot of people are getting funding now which is great, i was originally meant to get one end of 2010 but my pump nurse was off sick bless her, but it's totally worth the wait and hard work to get one! but still 11 months is a long time to wait too!

Hope it all goes great and good luck to you too :)

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
it does feel a long wait especially when hes suffering from violent mood swings etc but pleased to have got so far we have, as yet dont have our pump because of our situation we are being set up on the hospitals pump and then waiting for our pump to come so we are on it quicker which is nice as we get to see what a pump is like before we order it.

it does seem to me more people are getting pumps which is fantastic it shouldnt all be about the money if it improves someones life it should be worth the money it costs. good luck with ur own set up hope it works well for u

anna marie

ebony321

Dislikes
ams162 said:
it does feel a long wait especially when hes suffering from violent mood swings etc but pleased to have got so far we have, as yet dont have our pump because of our situation we are being set up on the hospitals pump and then waiting for our pump to come so we are on it quicker which is nice as we get to see what a pump is like before we order it.

it does seem to me more people are getting pumps which is fantastic it shouldnt all be about the money if it improves someones life it should be worth the money it costs. good luck with ur own set up hope it works well for u

anna marie

Awwwe, poor soul! that does sound good, i hope it goes well and improves his mood swings aswell as diabetes control :)

I definately agree, there should never be a cost limit to improve someone's quality of life and im please that so many kids, teens and adults seem to be getting them! :)

silvarbullet1

ebony321 said:
ams162 said:

anna marie

Awwwe, poor soul! that does sound good, i hope it goes well and improves his mood swings aswell as diabetes control :)

I definately agree, there should never be a cost limit to improve someone's quality of life and im please that so many kids, teens and adults seem to be getting them! :)

Hey, I'm so pleased so many people are able to get pumps now, including perhaps myself soon!

However I just wanted to comment on your point that there should be no cost limits. I don't want to put a downer on things, but just to say something as I think that different people have different perceptions.
Whilst it would be great for everyone to have every bit of care possible, it is a sad fact that everything must be paid for. Now, whilst I have no qualms at all about diabetics being given a £3000 device and needing 1000's of ££ worth of disposables each year, money still has be discussed and reviewed to make sure that appropriate care is given to everyone by the NHS.

My wife is a Doctor and has seen examples of very difficult circumstances where a special drug is not available on the NHS due to its cost and the patient has campaigned, been in the newspaper, pushed and pushed to have it... Which in some situations, is entirely reasonable. Other times, the drug might extend that persons life by 6 months, and cost £50,000.
£50k that could have been spent on saving 5 newborn babies lives. Or helping a few people live another 10 years.

At the end of the day, there has to be an evaluation of the benefits.
If my consultant told me: "I'm sorry, but an insulin pump costs X and we have other patients who are likely to die if we don't buy them this drug..." then I wouldn't be happy about being denied the pump, but I'd have to come to accept there are other people that need medicines more than me.

It's obviously a tricky area because measuring the benefit is difficult, but clearly there are some cases where prioritising has to happen. And if that means that someone needs to accept the fact that they're only going to live another 10 months anyway, or their sugar levels are so well controlled without a pump whereas someone who gets no hypo warning signs needs one... Then sometimes sacrifices have to be made, even though it's not ideal.

Anyway, just a thought I wanted to share.

Dan