Finally saw an endo, won't do that again

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
After waiting 4 months I finally had an appointment with an endocrinologist. What a joke. He informed me that I am overweight. Really? I had not noticed :wideyed: Then he told me that although I had lost 30 pounds on a ketogenic diet that I would be unable to lose weight and keep it off because calories in and calories out and high fat yada yada. Started to mutter about cholesterol but mine is perfect so didn't get far with that. Blood pressure? Oops, checked it, not high. He went on to say that a keto diet and forxiga was extremely dangerous and I was going to go into DKA at any moment, Hmmm has not happened over the last 7 months. Told me I need to go on victoza immediately and he was going to write my doctor about putting me on the wait list for bariatric surgery. Wait, WHAT? :banghead: Yeah that is so not going to happen. I said my insulin is already too high look at the c-peptide results and I did not want any meds that would force my pancreas to raise it further, he said victoza didn't do that. What???? Dr. Google and the victoza web site beg to differ.

This trip cost me 3 days of my life and about $500 to hear this garbage. Got stranded due to weather cancelling ferries and had to fork out for hotels etc. I am just disgusted with the whole thing. My A1c as of a month ago is 5.8% or 40 so how bad can I be doing? He never even mentioned the non-diabetic A1c just pushed me to have most of my stomach cut out.:stop:

Ok rant over. Thanks for listening.o_O

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh yes I got a full dose of "I am the doctor, what could YOU possibly know?" Then he had to google what berberine was lol.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey.
It is down right terrifying to think that this is the cookie cutter advice handed out, regardless of personal situation.

Well done for standing up for yourself.
None of us should allow ourselves to be railroaded into ANY treatment that goes against our knowledge - especially when our knowledge is so obviously greater than the supposed 'experts'!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I will discuss victoza with my GP but I have very serious reservations about it. I would welcome any insight from those who have been on it. I absolutely will not even discuss bariatric surgery. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. I currently weigh 238 pounds and my ideal weight as per doctor is 160. I can do this on my own and it is very doable. Others have lost a lot more than that successfully and kept it off.

Guy was skinny as a rail too.

Shaydollar811

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After waiting 4 months I finally had an appointment with an endocrinologist. What a joke. He informed me that I am overweight. Really? I had not noticed :wideyed: Then he told me that although I had lost 30 pounds on a ketogenic diet that I would be unable to lose weight and keep it off because calories in and calories out and high fat yada yada. Started to mutter about cholesterol but mine is perfect so didn't get far with that. Blood pressure? Oops, checked it, not high. He went on to say that a keto diet and forxiga was extremely dangerous and I was going to go into DKA at any moment, Hmmm has not happened over the last 7 months. Told me I need to go on victoza immediately and he was going to write my doctor about putting me on the wait list for bariatric surgery. Wait, WHAT? :banghead: Yeah that is so not going to happen. I said my insulin is already too high look at the c-peptide results and I did not want any meds that would force my pancreas to raise it further, he said victoza didn't do that. What???? Dr. Google and the victoza web site beg to differ.

This trip cost me 3 days of my life and about $500 to hear this garbage. Got stranded due to weather cancelling ferries and had to fork out for hotels etc. I am just disgusted with the whole thing. My A1c as of a month ago is 5.8% or 40 so how bad can I be doing? He never even mentioned the non-diabetic A1c just pushed me to have most of my stomach cut out.:stop:

Ok rant over. Thanks for listening.o_O
Looks like you are doing great sometimes the doc could learn a few things. Good luck don't quit

Reactions: chalup