1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Finger prick test result

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Caroline2, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Caroline2

Caroline2 · Member

Hi im just wondering , ive had bloods done with my doctor testing for diabetes as ive been feeling tired sick constantly thirsty headaches dizzyness and getting infections , ive been testing at home with a finger prick test with high results from 11.9 to tonight being 21.8 , im wondering is it dangerous to have such high result or am I ok to wait and see my doctor in next few days ? Any advise Id be greatfull thanks

2. Mike D

Mike D Type 2 · Expert

That's a very high reading. I'd get it seen to now.

3. Odin004

Odin004 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Caroline - your sugars are very high indeed; I don’t know what your doctor has told you as yet, but I strongly advise that you call 111 straight away, and explain everything to them - they are very knowledgable and helpful, and will tell you what to do. Please call them now.

4. Caroline2

Caroline2 · Member

Im in ireland so im not sure what the number is you are suggesting to call , what could happen if I wait till I ring my doctor later when surgery opens

5. Emile_the_rat

Emile_the_rat Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

If your blood suger does not lower in the next few hours you should go straight to your nearest hospital before you end up in the ER.

Not trying to over-exaggerating things, but if your blood sugar doesn’t go down and continue to raise above 21.8 it can get dangerous.

So please keep checking your blood sugar to see if it fall, or if it still get higher. If blood sugar keep raising, or won’t get any lower you have to get to a hospital or health care center near you asap.

6. Caroline2

Caroline2 · Member

Ok in the last hour half its risen to 22.4 , ive not had anything to eat since 7.30 this eve just drinking lots of water

7. Odin004

@Caroline2, blood sugars at this level are potentially very dangerous - is there an emergency medical advice line in Ireland, or does your doctor’s practice have a 24 hour emergency number? Call it if so - if not, please call the paramedics or get to a hospital.

8. Emile_the_rat

Emile_the_rat Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Call an emergency number noe.. I don’t think you should wait, 22.4 are, as mention above very high, and of big concern when it keeps raising.

If you can’t reach an emergency line I think you should just get to your closest hospital now. I think this is priority, as there is no doubt that your diabetic and need medical help now.

Sending a virtual hug :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Odin004

Hi @Caroline2, just wondering if you got medical attention? Hope you’re doing okay.

10. Caroline2

Caroline2 · Member

Hi all thanks for advise , I rang 24 hour doctor who got me into hospital that night , I was kept on iv fluids for 2 days and diagnosed with stage 2 diabetes my Hba1c test came back at 89 so they reckon ive been undiagnosed quite some time , on medication now and meeting nurse weekly , Im hoping to god to see an improvement in how ive been feeling as for last year half ive put down down to side effects from thyroid cancer and having operations and treatment so heres hoping I start to feel human again ☺

• Hug Hug x 4
  11. Odin004

So pleased to hear you got the help you needed that night . Yes, I hope you start to see an improvement soon - I’m sure you will now that you have a diagnosis and are receiving treatment. Sounds as though you’ve had an immensely tough time - you deserve to feel better!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook