Finger prick test result

Caroline2

Hi im just wondering , ive had bloods done with my doctor testing for diabetes as ive been feeling tired sick constantly thirsty headaches dizzyness and getting infections , ive been testing at home with a finger prick test with high results from 11.9 to tonight being 21.8 , im wondering is it dangerous to have such high result or am I ok to wait and see my doctor in next few days ? Any advise Id be greatfull thanks

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
That's a very high reading. I'd get it seen to now.

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi im just wondering , ive had bloods done with my doctor testing for diabetes as ive been feeling tired sick constantly thirsty headaches dizzyness and getting infections , ive been testing at home with a finger prick test with high results from 11.9 to tonight being 21.8 , im wondering is it dangerous to have such high result or am I ok to wait and see my doctor in next few days ? Any advise Id be greatfull thanks

Hi Caroline - your sugars are very high indeed; I don’t know what your doctor has told you as yet, but I strongly advise that you call 111 straight away, and explain everything to them - they are very knowledgable and helpful, and will tell you what to do. Please call them now.

Caroline2

Im in ireland so im not sure what the number is you are suggesting to call , what could happen if I wait till I ring my doctor later when surgery opens

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If your blood suger does not lower in the next few hours you should go straight to your nearest hospital before you end up in the ER.

Not trying to over-exaggerating things, but if your blood sugar doesn’t go down and continue to raise above 21.8 it can get dangerous.

So please keep checking your blood sugar to see if it fall, or if it still get higher. If blood sugar keep raising, or won’t get any lower you have to get to a hospital or health care center near you asap.

Caroline2

If your blood suger does not lower in the next few hours you should go straight to your nearest hospital before you end up in the ER.

Not trying to over-exaggerating things, but if your blood sugar doesn’t go down and continue to raise above 21.8 it can get dangerous.

So please keep checking your blood sugar to see if it fall, or if it still get higher. If blood sugar keep raising, or won’t get any lower you have to get to a hospital or health care center near you asap.

Ok in the last hour half its risen to 22.4 , ive not had anything to eat since 7.30 this eve just drinking lots of water

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Caroline2, blood sugars at this level are potentially very dangerous - is there an emergency medical advice line in Ireland, or does your doctor’s practice have a 24 hour emergency number? Call it if so - if not, please call the paramedics or get to a hospital.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok in the last hour half its risen to 22.4 , ive not had anything to eat since 7.30 this eve just drinking lots of water

Call an emergency number noe.. I don’t think you should wait, 22.4 are, as mention above very high, and of big concern when it keeps raising.

If you can’t reach an emergency line I think you should just get to your closest hospital now. I think this is priority, as there is no doubt that your diabetic and need medical help now.

Sending a virtual hug :)

Caroline2

Hi all thanks for advise , I rang 24 hour doctor who got me into hospital that night , I was kept on iv fluids for 2 days and diagnosed with stage 2 diabetes my Hba1c test came back at 89 so they reckon ive been undiagnosed quite some time , on medication now and meeting nurse weekly , Im hoping to god to see an improvement in how ive been feeling as for last year half ive put down down to side effects from thyroid cancer and having operations and treatment so heres hoping I start to feel human again ☺

Odin004

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all thanks for advise , I rang 24 hour doctor who got me into hospital that night , I was kept on iv fluids for 2 days and diagnosed with stage 2 diabetes my Hba1c test came back at 89 so they reckon ive been undiagnosed quite some time , on medication now and meeting nurse weekly , Im hoping to god to see an improvement in how ive been feeling as for last year half ive put down down to side effects from thyroid cancer and having operations and treatment so heres hoping I start to feel human again ☺

So pleased to hear you got the help you needed that night . Yes, I hope you start to see an improvement soon - I’m sure you will now that you have a diagnosis and are receiving treatment. Sounds as though you’ve had an immensely tough time - you deserve to feel better!