Finger prick testing to HB1AC correlation

Laconic

When diagnosed fasting blood glucose was 14.9 with a HB1AC of 110.
Last HB1AC was 39 and my finger tests were always 5 fasting and 5.5 two hours after meals.
I admit to having been naughty and cheating at weekends my fasting levels have been between 6-7 in the morning and roughly the same after meals.
Next HB1AC due October wondered if I’ll be safe think I might be in prediabetic range now...
But only a HBA1C will tell I’m still the same weight as when I reversed it

Reactions: Robbity

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a link to download an app at the top of this page, I've downloaded it and started using it. You add all your BG, when you have your meals and snacks, and it predicts your HbA1c figures (when you've added enough data). It's a fun thing to do... but maybe I'm weird :woot:

It's free, but you can pay £2.99 per month, or £27 per year for more features. I'm finding the discipline of recording everything is helping to keep me on track.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep up the good work! And you have the rest of August and all September to stop those sinful eating weekends and bring your levels back down - the more recent ones will have a greater impact on your HbA1c than the earlier ones.over the last three months. So make good use of this opportunity. :D

Experience has shown me that I can accurately predict my HbA1c from my fasting, pre and post meal, etc finger prick tests. My meter will give various averages over time, and I know that if I use the diabetetes,co.uk HbA1c calculator, that result will give me a predicted HbA1c approx 2 points below my actual test result. But I also know now from experience more of less what it will be just from those meter results.

As for weight, mine has no relation at all to my HBA1c and vice versa!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will just say that never, in any of my finger prick testing, or Freestyle Libre use have my recorded blood glucose levels equated to my lab results.

Of course, that's all very irritating, but I now accept this, and accept that, provided my finger prick tests remain in my usual range, I'll be OK with what the lab returns.

I'm not suggesting this will be the case for you, @Laconic . I'm really just keen to point out that relying on finger prick tests, meter averages or A1c estimations can throw up "surprises".

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience aligns with @DCUKMod

my lab results are always significantly higher than my prick tests and calibrated Libre readings seem to predict.
It is annoying, but it is what it is, and I trust my own readings far more than an HbA1c.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

In contrast.
My calibrated sensor results to the meter romps back around 15% lower from the lab than estimated.
I've even managed to check my meter against a nurse's NHS standard calibrated issue (on two occaisions.) mine is 15% higher.