First 3month Blood Test since being diagnosed

ljdub

Hi all,

firstly i have found this forum beyond helpful and it has gradually put my mind at rest since being diagnosed and panicking that id lose my eyesight or feet in the next week.

I have embraced the low carb way of life and the consequences have been enough for me to not over indulge and continue my drinking/takeaway lifestyle for these past 3 months. I have managed to lose around 2 1/2 stone in 3 months and feel so much better for it, the new puppy helps get me out twice a day at least.

My bloods have typically been around 6-7 with the odd blips up to 9.5 but feel this isn't too bad.

Finally my question, ive just got a notification from my surgery that i am due my 3monthly blood test, i have indulged a little over Christmas but way below what i normally do but a little more than before christmas. Is there a best time to have a blood test to let things calm down or is it best to fast before for a period of time or is it just best to carry on as normal (i suspect this gives the most accurate) and get the blood test which will record the 'normal levels'.

Hopefully this makes sense but still very in the early stages of learning about this condition.

Thanks again for all the posts these are very helpful

LjDub

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great results so far :) I assume the blood test is an HbA1c which indicates a sort of average blood glucose over the last 3 months, more recent high blood glucose will have slightly bigger effect than ones close to 3 months ago. Personally I'd just have the test ... you can then see how you improve from the X-mas approach going forward.
If your on a low carb diet it is best to do a water only fast for the 12 hours before the blood sample is taken (the fast will have minimal impact on the HbA1c but will help with the lipids panel).