First Beach Walk of the Year - big changes

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Normally I wouldn't even bother commenting about this but I get the sense that many people with diabetes tend to be somewhat under-active so I thought I would share this story.

We did our first major beach walk yesterday - that's a 20 KM walk averaging 5 KM/H walking on sand only - I live on an Island with some of the largest beaches in the world - thus you can get sway with doing 20K walks on the beach :)

It's amazing the after effects of a 20 K beach walk on my sugars.

I tested several times when doing this - until I'm better conditioned (later in the year) but because of this walk - I had an 80% decrease in Insulin and my BGs did not exceed 7.1 (that was a morning test prior to the beach walk).

Today I'm back at work sitting in front of the computer and I'm still enjoying the after effects of the beach walk. A continued decrease in insulin and once again so far the highest BG level I have hit is 7.

It will be interesting to see how long it will take before I'm back on my old regimen again. I'm tired as hell (physically tired) but based on my test results I'd have to say my activity yesterday was definitely beneficial. Weather permitting I'm going to try to do a long distance event (walking, cycling or canoeing) every weekend.

I guess, it's a reminder to myself that physical activity has some positive affects.