First bump in the road...what did I do wrong?

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Been injecting for about 2 weeks, and had my first dodgy one. Taking my Fiasp before dinner, it felt sore going in, felt sore coming out, and stung a bit for a while, and I have a small lump.

I'm a skinny fella' so what did I do?
a) hit exactly a spot I've used recently (surely unlikely) and I do rotate around my belly
b) hit muscle - I'm skinny but not that skinny - should I pinch an inch just in case, some people seem to say yes, some no.
c) didn't go deep enough so just in skin
d) hit a blood vessel
e) something else

Thankfully my Triseba was as easy as usual!

Thanks for answers

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m afraid it happens. I’m covered in bruises. Can do 10 injections and not know I’ve done them, then one hurts, creates a bump and leaves a nasty bruise. I don’t pinch as my consultant is adamant you shouldn’t. To be honest you just get used to it.

Reactions: JPW1

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't forget to change your needles regularly? I use mine more than once and sometimes I forget how long I've been using it for until it becomes blunt. A new needle goes in smoothly (if of course it is that). x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You do get the odd one that makes your eyes water. Plus some brands of needles are better than others

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These things happen and even those that have been injecting 30+ years still get the odd one that does this

If you'd hit anything you would've produced quite a large spot of blood, I generally have that issue in my thighs more than my stomach

If you'd hit muscle chances are the end result would more than likely have ended in you having a hypo, insulin is absorbed quicker if injected into muscle, hence why it isn't recommended

Even in the same batch some needles can be blunter than others resulting in a sorer injection, also what size of needles are you using? If your in the UK then I would not recommend using the same needle more than once unless you really had to (like you were out and had forgotten to take more than one and you needed to inject more than once) I know people in the US do but they generally do it because supplies are expensive but it isn't a good thing to do
xx

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
These things happen and even those that have been injecting 30+ years still get the odd one that does this

If you'd hit anything you would've produced quite a large spot of blood, I generally have that issue in my thighs more than my stomach

If you'd hit muscle chances are the end result would more than likely have ended in you having a hypo, insulin is absorbed quicker if injected into muscle, hence why it isn't recommended

Even in the same batch some needles can be blunter than others resulting in a sorer injection, also what size of needles are you using? If your in the UK then I would not recommend using the same needle more than once unless you really had to (like you were out and had forgotten to take more than one and you needed to inject more than once) I know people in the US do but they generally do it because supplies are expensive but it isn't a good thing to do
xx

No blood and all's good today. I just can't bring myself to use my thigh yet. I'm a long distance runner and have muscley legs with very little fat - guess I should give it a go sometime soon!

No I've been using a new needle everytime. I suspect it might have been dodgy needle - as it was actually quite sore going in.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No blood and all's good today. I just can't bring myself to use my thigh yet. I'm a long distance runner and have muscley legs with very little fat - guess I should give it a go sometime soon!

No I've been using a new needle everytime. I suspect it might have been dodgy needle - as it was actually quite sore going in.
Never been skinny so lots of sub q fat to get into however I did find that getting the tiniest needles (8mm) and rotating sites helped me not to bruise. More importantly and over the longer time, if you inject in your favourite spot you will end up with insulin lumps where there is a localised fat deposit caused by the insulin which can then mean that your insulin is not absorbed well or predictably.
If you are flexible enough can you put it in your bottom?
Also worth knowing that if you inject in the thigh before a run the insulin will be absorbed more quickly because of the body heating up! (ditto saunas and leg waxing).

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are flexible enough can you put it in your bottom?
Also worth knowing that if you inject in the thigh before a run the insulin will be absorbed more quickly because of the body heating up! (ditto saunas and leg waxing).

Yes I could do my backside no problem, though (not boasting or anything!) its fairly muscley too! :) Sauna's are an occasional pleasure, leg waxing I dont see myself doing in the near future!!

I'm using 4mm needles.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I could do my backside no problem, though (not boasting or anything!) its fairly muscley too! :) Sauna's are an occasional pleasure, leg waxing I dont see myself doing in the near future!!

I'm using 4mm needles.
Not a cyclist then! Saunas are supposed to be great for health though so don't let me put you off.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @JPW1 ,

I'm a pinch upper of light stature. Injecting is like a good shave. Never to be rushed..;)

You hadn't pulled your insulin straight outta the fridge perchance? That can sting.

Saunas; the intense heat can increase insulin sensitivity for some. (For me it does.)
If you are to indulge? Keep a close eye on the BGs. I've had a few slow creepers, but nothing to take me down.

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You hadn't pulled your insulin straight outta the fridge perchance?
@Jaylee I think temperature may be a little to do with it - my very first injection was stinger i.e. straight out of the fridge,but have had none particularly stingy since. All has been fine today anyway - guess it's just the way it's going to be now and again.

JPW1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha! spoke too soon about no bruising! A real nice one as of yesterday!!