First catarct Surgery

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well its been six weeks since my cataract surgery in my left eye, the healing has gone well I have developed a small "twitch" in the lens as it heals (quiet entertaining if you want to feel sick) but as I have retinopathy in my right eye now with six lots of laser in that eye I have new vessels growing near the optic nerve. I have a grade 3.8 cataract in the right eye, but I am concerned that the fact that I have had so much laser, is it going to be a complication for the cataract removal?? Because I had to go to the hospital as an emergency (small haemorrhage lots of black floaters now) they said the consultant may not want to remove the cataract now. It may sound trivial but I can't cope with one really good eye (left one) and my right eye being so out of kilter with my left. The surgery left me with left eye -0.75 and right eye -6.55 so it is a big difference and I'm finding it hard to cope with the difference.
I don't want to be negative about it but will they do the right eye now?? Sorry for the negativity as I know it could be a lot worse (the consultant said it could so I believe him) just wondered if anyone else has been through it.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not been through the same as you but several years ago I has surgery for a macular hole and although they repaired the hole they did two retinal tears so I have virtually no central vision in that eye, only some peripheral vision. However, I don't notice it as my one good eye makes me unaware of the problem.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not been through the same as you but several years ago I has surgery for a macular hole and although they repaired the hole they did two retinal tears so I have virtually no central vision in that eye, only some peripheral vision. However, I don't notice it as my one good eye makes me unaware of the problem.
with my right eye being my strongest, though glasses wise weakest now, I just find it a struggle to see out of both. its a conundrum which I hope is solved if they carry out the cataract surgery on my right eye. in effect my good eye is now my worst eye.

Dark Horse

with my right eye being my strongest, though glasses wise weakest now, I just find it a struggle to see out of both. its a conundrum which I hope is solved if they carry out the cataract surgery on my right eye. in effect my good eye is now my worst eye.
You might get used to it - the brain is quite adaptable and some people choose to have different prescription contact lenses , one for near sight and one for distance. Eventually the brain just attends to the eye that is supplying the relevant images and swaps between them. Probably worth discussing this with both your ophthalmologist and your optometrist. If the ophthalmologist says cataract surgery should be fine once your retinopathy is stable you might be able to have some temporary specs that reduce the imbalance between the eyes until surgery is possible.

Reactions: johnpol