First Consultation since getting pump

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

Was at consultant yesterday, the first time sinceI had pump installed etc!
Before the pump, had lost hypo awareness, having hypos every day practically, lost weight, no energy etc and in general, not a happy person :evil: Hab1c was 7.9%

Yesterday, Hab1c 7.5%, in past 6 weeks had 1 hypo of 3.8 mml and actually sensed it :D
Have put on a little weight, full of energy etc

The difference in the use of pump is huge and the difference of the care in Ireland compared to France is different standard! In Ireland, they refused to give me pump, France got my Animas 2020 and even was given a spare! Have been refused treatment in hospital in my city as have a pump and my irish consultant did"nt want! Am moving back to France now :D

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
so glad ur feeling healthier the pump made a huge difference in our lives too just a shame everyone isnt offered one

keep up the good work

anna marie

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm so pleased you're feeling better and have already seen an improved hba1c. The care in France sounds very good and I'm sure you're making the right move. It's good for your hypo awareness to come back too, it's very stressful not having it.

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
irishrichard said:
Hi Folks,

Was at consultant yesterday, the first time sinceI had pump installed etc!
Before the pump, had lost hypo awareness, having hypos every day practically, lost weight, no energy etc and in general, not a happy person :evil: Hab1c was 7.9%

Yesterday, Hab1c 7.5%, in past 6 weeks had 1 hypo of 3.8 mml and actually sensed it :D
Have put on a little weight, full of energy etc

The difference in the use of pump is huge and the difference of the care in Ireland compared to France is different standard! In Ireland, they refused to give me pump, France got my Animas 2020 and even was given a spare! Have been refused treatment in hospital in my city as have a pump and my irish consultant did"nt want! Am moving back to France now :D

Thats excellent!

what stands out to me the most is your hypo awareness is so much better!

you must be pretty chuffed with yourself! :)

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Really happy with the possibility of the hypo awareness coming back!
Consultant said, we"ll keep dosages of basal and bolus the same and in october, change to suit me better!
Have to keep bloods with 6mml - 11mml at moment to try and bring back all the signs of a hypo!

The confidence i have in controlling my diabetes has returned and people have even noticed! :D

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sorry, am really confused now.....so is your Irish Consultant still treating you or not?

I felt really mad from your 1st posting saying that 'Have been refused treatment in hospital in my city as have a pump and my irish consultant did"nt want! Am moving back to France now'....and your last posting said about Consultant wanting to keep levels between 6-11.

Sorry, really confused...so who is your consultant now? Who is looking after your diabetes with your pump?

Great news that you are more hypo aware and hba1c has dropped....just confused as to how you are getting supplies etc and who is actually looking after your pump management and diabetes now.

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
My french consultant is treating me now!
I lived in France for years and was getting great treatment there but moved back to Ireland 2 yrs ago!
Then started getting hypos etc and asked for my irish consultantto change my insulins, which he refused, and then if I could be considered for pump! Told me immediately, no chance for pump as he does'nt agree with them and could'nt give his approval for one whether i went public or private in Ireland!

I went over to see my french consultant and showed him my blood levels, number of hypos etc and also my high blood pressure which I never had before, and in the space of a month got my pump and everythings going better!
Saw my GP in Ireland when I returned and he's friends with my Irish consultant, and told him i'd gotten pump etc and got return call from my GP that i've been blacklisted from hospital by my Irish consultant, even for bloods for hab1c!

Am more than happy to move back to France anyway as health care in Ireland is 3rd world