First day's results with new monitor

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi,

I'm expecting a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes following an initial fasting blood glucose lab test result of 8.44 and in the run-up to my next doctor's appointment I've started to test. The meter arrived yesterday. Here are the results (tests taken before eating and 2 hours afterwards):

Brekkie 7.0 - 6.9 (for porridge with whole milk and one tablespoon of jam)
Lunch 3.7 - 5.5 (a more low-carb lunch of crustless quiche, soup, mandarin orange)
Dinner 5.8 - 5.7 + 6.0 (a longer dinner of rib-eye steak, steamed carrots and green beans in butter, pepper sauce, mandarin orange, red wine, whisky... (ahem) so I tested at 2 and 3 hours)

This morning on waking: 6,7

Fingers crossed I'm on the right path.

Have a lovely day!

WexTom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just testing little over 2 weeks now, have radically changed diet, to Low Carbs, and numbers are in target, lowest in first week around the 7> 8 range, week 2 5.8 > 6.8 even no change from 6.1 to 6.1 2 hours after eating!
However morning out of bed this morning 8.2! Other morning 8.6! Why is this? Anybody got an answer?
Thanks in advance!

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi WexTom,

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure that I can be of much help apart from suggesting that it's possibly Dawn Phenomenon?

Reactions: 2 people

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You may get a better response in the main T2 forum - I don't know much about T2 but I'd certainly be happy with either set of readings :)

Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm expecting a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes following an initial fasting blood glucose lab test result of 8.44 and in the run-up to my next doctor's appointment I've started to test. The meter arrived yesterday. Here are the results (tests taken before eating and 2 hours afterwards):

Brekkie 7.0 - 6.9 (for porridge with whole milk and one tablespoon of jam)
Lunch 3.7 - 5.5 (a more low-carb lunch of crustless quiche, soup, mandarin orange)
Dinner 5.8 - 5.7 + 6.0 (a longer dinner of rib-eye steak, steamed carrots and green beans in butter, pepper sauce, mandarin orange, red wine, whisky... (ahem) so I tested at 2 and 3 hours)

This morning on waking: 6,7

Fingers crossed I'm on the right path.

Have a lovely day!
Yes you are certainly on the right road so well done.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Tried a pizza last night (in the interests of science, you understand...) and the numbers are suddenly not so good: from 6 to 10.9 after 2 hours and 12.1 after 3 hours. Then 8 this morning. Ouch!!!!!!

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Pizza is really bad, you have to be really careful with all grain products as they cause a slow and long duration rise in.blood glucose. It might actually surprise you what foods and treats you can get away with without courting disaster but the only way to find out is to test your individual response.

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The other that is pretty bad is oranges. As they are very high in natural sugar and cause spikes in blood sugar

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Tried a pizza last night (in the interests of science, you understand...) and the numbers are suddenly not so good: from 6 to 10.9 after 2 hours and 12.1 after 3 hours. Then 8 this morning. Ouch!!!!!!
Lol you just have to love that pizza effect. Just when you think you have it all sorted it throws you a curve ball. If you are going to have it again try with a thin crust and maybe have a small one with extra cheese and topping

Reactions: 3 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Pizza is really bad, you have to be really careful with all grain products as they cause a slow and long duration rise in.blood glucose. It might actually surprise you what foods and treats you can get away with without courting disaster but the only way to find out is to test your individual response.
I've hardly had any grain products since I started but throw the odd one in just to test. The (whole) pizza actually messed me up quite bad. In addition to the high BG I also had a headache later and high BS the next day (not sure whether there's a link). Any grain products tested from now on will be in very small quantities!

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Lol you just have to love that pizza effect. Just when you think you have it all sorted it throws you a curve ball. If you are going to have it again try with a thin crust and maybe have a small one with extra cheese and topping
I'd never heard of the pizza effect until getting the prolonged high readings and doing a panic google ;-) I'll try thin crust and extra cheese then, or just have one slice. I used to make pitta bread pizzas (split a pitta in two and then top it), maybe I could handle those if I stick to one pitta.