Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hello Everyone,

I have got myself my first ever glucose meter and it's pretty amazing. It does rather appeal to my inner geek.

It is also a bit of an eye opener, especially when i saw my blood glucose shoot up yesterday after eating two slices of Linseed bread - I won't be doing that again in a hurry.

Before I succumbed to the bread, I had managed to pull my glucose level down from 11.2 mmol/L to 6.1 mmol/L -a lesson to be learned there. Today I am staying clean! I shall not bore everyone with all my readings, but I started the day at 9.1 mmol/L - let's see what happens. Got my food planned out and am ready to go.

~P~

ps. My husband couldn't resist having a go (after all, it was him who bought the meter) He came out at 5.1 before breakfast this morning. I was envious.

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Bg meters are fantastic, it would be impossible to get good diabetes control without them, which meter are you using?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try one slice of your bread next time. It's all about portion control, and your meter will help you with this.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Try one slice of your bread next time. It's all about portion control, and your meter will help you with this.

Hello Bluetit,

Yes, I will try that. It's nice to have a bit of bread with breakfast (can't have a boiled egg without toastie soldiers, can I?).

I can see that the meter is going to be a great help.

~P~

Reactions: 4 people

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have the SD Codefree
I have started a spreadsheet to maintain records and then I can assess what I have eaten etc
My dietitian loved it when I presented this and showed her what I had been eating and the results of the portions and foods on my BG

It's not worth getting the software cable for this device. The software is rubbish and although it gives you a nice graph there is no facility to add notes

Re: Bread
With my codefree I have found that bread spikes me more than potato
So I have found Milk Roll (available at most supermarkets) which is about 8g Carbs per slice
2 slices has no effect - but it is small
I am trying LivLife Seeded tomorrow after my grocery delivery - lets see what happens
Warburtons Seeded Batch (the small loaf) is okay - 1 slice is fine - 2 pushes me up a bit

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started a spreadsheet to maintain records and then I can assess what I have eaten etc
My dietitian loved it when I presented this and showed her what I had been eating and the results of the portions and foods on my BG

It's not worth getting the software cable for this device. The software is rubbish and although it gives you a nice graph there is no facility to add notes

Re: Bread
With my codefree I have found that bread spikes me more than potato
So I have found Milk Roll (available at most supermarkets) which is about 8g Carbs per slice
2 slices has no effect - but it is small
I am trying LivLife Seeded tomorrow after my grocery delivery - lets wee what happens
Warburtons Seeded Batch (the small loaf) is okay - 1 slice s fine - 2 pushes me up a bit

Re bread.

Hovis Wholemeal Seed Sensations has 14g carbs per slice. The slices are large sized normal ones, and it is thick, so makes good toast and you only need one slice at a time. It is worth a try, and is very tasty.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Re bread.

Hovis Wholemeal Seed Sensations has 14g carbs per slice. The slices are large sized normal ones, and it is thick, so makes good toast and you only need one slice at a time. It is worth a try, and is very tasty.

Thanks for recommending this bread. One slice doesn't spike me and it is, by far, the nicest loaf I've tried over the last few months. Other loaves were too dense, too bitter or the size of the slices were a joke. So Ta!

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Strangest thing. Last night, before I went to bed, I took a blood reading. It was 7.2. I took a fasting test when I got up this morning and it was 10.1 - I hadn't eaten anything so I don't understand why the reading went up by such a lot. Any ideas?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

You can load the code free data into the software I wrote which gives you the graphs and you can add food and comments. Also track blood pressure and weight/waistline. All for free and you can get it from the link in my signature

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Strangest thing. Last night, before I went to bed, I took a blood reading. It was 7.2. I took a fasting test when I got up this morning and it was 10.1 - I hadn't eaten anything so I don't understand why the reading went up by such a lot. Any ideas?
Over night your body uses up its glucose so the liver needs to replenish you. Unfortunately the signals between you liver and pancreas arent working correctly so you end up going high (you should be around the value your husband was )

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Search the forums and Google for "Dawn Phenomenon" or "liver dump". It is a natural event that can happen to anyone, not just diabetics.

caliban

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Speeding drivers, they put us all in danger. Guitar players with sqeaky fingers. All i can hear is the **** sqeaks and I turn off.
  • ½ cup coconut flour
  • 1 tbs flax meal
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
Instructions
  1. Place the coconut flour, flax meal,pumpkin seeds, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
  2. Add the eggs and mix. The mixture will be a very firm 'play-dough' like consistency so don't work it too hard at this point.
  3. Add the cup of boiling water and mix until thoroughly combined.
  4. Form into a focaccia shape and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts through the dough, sprinkle with plenty of salt, rosemary and place olives on top of the dough.
  5. Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes. It is cooked when the centre is no longer 'spongy'.
  6. Serve hot with butter, cold with cheese, avocado slices, tomatoes, labna, etc.
Low carb bread recipe, makes a nice alternative . From www. ditchthecarbs.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Over night your body uses up its glucose so the liver needs to replenish you. Unfortunately the signals between you liver and pancreas arent working correctly so you end up going high (you should be around the value your husband was
Over night your body uses up its glucose so the liver needs to replenish you. Unfortunately the signals between you liver and pancreas arent working correctly so you end up going high (you should be around the value your husband was )

Yes, I have looked up the dawn phenomenon and can see the pattern. This meter is very useful for observations. I had no idea this happened, but it makes a lot of sense.

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Search the forums and Google for "Dawn Phenomenon" or "liver dump". It is a natural event that can happen to anyone, not just diabetics.

Dear Blue,

Thank you for this info, I had no idea it happened - very interesting indeed. All the more reason to eat regularly.

P x

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
  • ½ cup coconut flour
  • 1 tbs flax meal
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
Instructions
  1. Place the coconut flour, flax meal, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir until combined.
  2. Add the eggs and mix. The mixture will be a very firm 'play-dough' like consistency so don't work it too hard at this point.
  3. Add the cup of boiling water and mix until thoroughly combined.
  4. Form into a focaccia shape and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Using a sharp knife, make diagonal cuts through the dough, sprinkle with plenty of salt, rosemary and place olives on top of the dough.
  5. Bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes. It is cooked when the centre is no longer 'spongy'.
  6. Serve hot with butter, cold with cheese, avocado slices, tomatoes, labna, etc.
Low carb bread recipe, makes a nice alternative . From www. ditchthecarbs.com

Caliban,

This recipe looks great, I wlll give it a try soon. Where do you get your coconut flour from?

P

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Caliban,

This recipe looks great, I wlll give it a try soon. Where do you get your coconut flour from?

P
Just made it. Brilliant. Bit scary with the quantities -- never quite sure what a cup of something is. Water -- 1 cup = 240dl? I guess the seeds go on top? Anyway brill. I fancy a little olive oil in there too would be good. Or to dip the warm bread in. Yum.

caliban

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Speeding drivers, they put us all in danger. Guitar players with sqeaky fingers. All i can hear is the **** sqeaks and I turn off.