First HbA1c following diagnosis

Winterwatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had my first HbA1C test post diagnosis yesterday, having been diagnosed roughly 7 weeks ago.

The consultant told me that it was realistically too soon for this to tell us much but I guess they were testing for other things anyway.

On diagnosis my HbA1C, after having pretty bad symptoms for just over a month, was about 10.5%. It is now 6.7%. The consultant seemed pleased with this considering that it will still be taking into account the month or so that I was undiagnosed as well as the first couple of weeks post-diagnosis where I was still getting to grip with things. I understand this but I still find it hard not to be a little deflated. Any thoughts on this?

Next test in just over 3 months - aiming for 5.5% this time!

Reactions: GrantGam

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed a little longer ago, but today got my results. Down from 10.4% to 6.9% so very similar numbers. I'm delighted with that, as was my doctor. So I reckon you should be please rather than deflated. You can't fix this in ten minutes, keep at it!

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's an excellent result @Winterwatch:)

Currently as it stands, there are very, very few T1D's who achieve an HbA1c target of <7% (53mmol/mol). The last figures I read (for Scotland; June 2011) was only 10.7%. I know for a fact that there has been no significant improvement - from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England collectively since then. So you should give yourself an almighty pat on the back; you're already part of our elite club:)

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/In_Your_Area/Scotland/Diabetes_in_your_area_Scotland/Grampian/

Given the short time you've had to adapt since diagnosis; I'd be very, very chuffed if I were you. Just take good consideration to not focus too heavily on your HbA1c, as many T1's tend to produce excellent HbA1c's as a result of frequent hypos; which in it's own right is counter intuitive and a false representation of good control.

If you haven't already been advised, it would be a step in the right direction to pick up the following book; it's a Bible of sorts for us T1's. I prefer the Kindle version, as it's on my phone and therefore always with me. Also, it's cheaper;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Like.../ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Good luck and seeing as this as this is our first (but not our last encounter) a very warm welcome to the forum from me:D

Winterwatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's an excellent result @Winterwatch:)

Currently as it stands, there are very, very few T1D's who achieve an HbA1c target of <7% (53mmol/mol). The last figures I read (for Scotland; June 2011) was only 10.7%. I know for a fact that there has been no significant improvement - from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England collectively since then. So you should give yourself an almighty pat on the back!

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/In_Your_Area/Scotland/Diabetes_in_your_area_Scotland/Grampian/

Given the short time you've had to adapt since diagnosis; I'd be very, very chuffed it that was me. Just take good consideration to not focus too heavily on HbA1c as many T1's tend to produce excellent HbA1c's as a result of frequent hypos; which in it's own right is counter intuitive and a false representation of control.

If you haven't already been advised, it would be a step in the right firection to pick up the following book; it's a Bible of sorts for us T1's. I prefer the Kindle version on my phone (that way it's always with me and nothing surplus to carry) also, it's cheaper;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Like.../ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Thanks for your reply Grantgam and words of encouragement. As I say, I know it is not a bad result; I just don't feel that it reflects the control i've had over the past 3 weeks or so particularly, which is to be expected seeing as that is not the period being tested :) Good point about the hypos - fortunately I have not really had any bar a couple of minor incidences.

I do have that book on my Kindle although I haven't got too far with it yet. I have been reading Sugar Surfing which I have almost finished. Think Like a Pancreas is definitely next on my list.

I've set my target for next time anyway so lets see how it goes. Never ever ever thought i'd be excited for a blood test!

Winterwatch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was diagnosed a little longer ago, but today got my results. Down from 10.4% to 6.9% so very similar numbers. I'm delighted with that, as was my doctor. So I reckon you should be please rather than deflated. You can't fix this in ten minutes, keep at it!

Thanks. You are quite right. Just got to keep at this. Good luck going forward.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply Grantgam and words of encouragement. As I say, I know it is not a bad result; I just don't feel that it reflects the control i've had over the past 3 weeks or so particularly, which is to be expected seeing as that is not the period being tested :) Good point about the hypos - fortunately I have not really had any bar a couple of minor incidences.

I do have that book on my Kindle although I haven't got too far with it yet. I have been reading Sugar Surfing which I have almost finished. Think Like a Pancreas is definitely next on my list.

I've set my target for next time anyway so lets see how it goes. Never ever ever thought i'd be excited for a blood test!
That's no problem:)

All in good time, the good news (or bad news however you wish to perceive it) is that you'll have plenty time to practice and perfect your diabetic managerial techniques;)