First Injection

John_ch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot!
Hi all, first off I'm sorry I have not posted in ages!

Last week my bloods were still in the late teens while on 3 different tablets and it was decided that I was to start on Insulin. I went to the hospital to see my DSN and we decided I was going to start with 10 units of Lantus at night and 4 units of Novorapid before my meals. During the visit I was asked to give my self a practice injection ( just pitting the needle in without delivering any Insulin. After about 5 mins I managed to put the needle in and was surprised at how little I felt! I was feeling very happy as I have always had a "thing" about needles... Not the pain but watching them.

So last night I it was time to do my first Lantus injection..... Even though I knew it was not going to hurt.... I could not bring myself to inject, an hour later and still I could not do it! I gave up and left it for the night as I was getting upset and angry at myself for being such a wimp.

My question is... Would it be ok to try again at 10 this morning but only taking half the units.... So I could take my Novo at lunch and dinner then back to the 10 units tonight?

I am just praying I can bring myself to do the injection today.

iHs

John just go for it.... If you can prick yr finger then inserting a pen needle is the same pain wise. You dint have to stab yr skin with a pen needle by pushing it in quickly, you can push it in slowly if you want. Try doing the injection in yr arm for the bolus and use yr backside for the basal. When doing the bolus jab, watch tv.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi all, first off I'm sorry I have not posted in ages!

Last week my bloods were still in the late teens while on 3 different tablets and it was decided that I was to start on Insulin. I went to the hospital to see my DSN and we decided I was going to start with 10 units of Lantus at night and 4 units of Novorapid before my meals. During the visit I was asked to give my self a practice injection ( just pitting the needle in without delivering any Insulin. After about 5 mins I managed to put the needle in and was surprised at how little I felt! I was feeling very happy as I have always had a "thing" about needles... Not the pain but watching them.

So last night I it was time to do my first Lantus injection..... Even though I knew it was not going to hurt.... I could not bring myself to inject, an hour later and still I could not do it! I gave up and left it for the night as I was getting upset and angry at myself for being such a wimp.

My question is... Would it be ok to try again at 10 this morning but only taking half the units.... So I could take my Novo at lunch and dinner then back to the 10 units tonight?

I am just praying I can bring myself to do the injection today.

First of all...You're not a wimp and I felt like you do now when I first started injecting...It's the initial fear of the unknown and I found it easier to hold my breath and pretend I was injecting someone else in the tummy and not myself and after a few times of realising "Wow-I didn't feel that at all" it got easier and easier but you just have to bite the bullet.

I can't help with the Bolus side of things as I'm on basal only but if I was you I'd inject 5 units of Lantus now and 5 units at bedtime to total your 10 unit daily dose and then start doing the 10 units of Lantus tommorow bedtime as one dose as agreed with your team as otherwise if you do 5 now and 10 at nightime today you will have injected 15 units of basal and as you are new to insulin you risk going too low in the night...Your doctor probably told you to start on 10 units at first and if your fasting bloods remain too high for more than 2 days in a row-then increase your basal by only 2 units and see what they're like then (That's what I was told anyway)
Good luck! You CAN do this! :)

Best

Paul

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It would have been fine to give the lantus dose this morning, provided you keep the doses 24 hours apart you can take it when you want. However, if you prefer to take it before bed then just wait until later.

Injecting insulin at first can be daunting, but once you've done it a few times it will become much easier and you'll not worry about it as much, so try not to tense up beforehand as this makes it much more difficult.

Any more problems just come back and say, good luck John!!!!

John_ch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot!
Sorry for the late reply, no internet :-(
Well internet is back and I have managed to inject! First one took a bit of flapping about, but it's only been 3 days and it is no problem now! Thanks guys :)

Reactions: 4 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember my first, I was a big wuss, nurse in hospital said for goodness sake you've given birth it is a whole less painful, ah nurse I was one of the few woman who did that without pain or pain relief, so this is going take time. Still cannot believe I actually inject myself at least 4 times a day.