First insulin injection

rockeerox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As I write this I hope all is well for everyone. This journey is difficult at times, especially when it seems your body is fighting you ever single step of the way. I just took my long acting (not sure if that's what we refer to it as) and ended up doing 10 units of fast actingnseeing as my bs was 409. Waiting for this to kick in, so avoiding going to bed just yet. Tomorrow morning I take metformin 500mg, 1500 less than I was on and seeing how it goes. She put me on aggressive sliding scale, so I found a useful chart to help determine units, 3xs a day with meals. So basically if I understand correctly, I test first then use the sliding scale of units to inject prior to breakfast? Thanks in advance

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you definitely type 2 your picture shows a young healthy looking young woman have they tested your antibodies. type1 or1.5 or mody i would want to be checked for.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there @rockeerox
sliding scale will be most successful for somebody with a lifestyle that is fairly fixed ( not a lot of variability )

meal times should be pretty similar each day and assuming your carb amounts are fixed as well ??
in answer to your general query about using sliding scale --

So basically if I understand correctly, I test first then use the sliding scale of units to inject prior to breakfast? Thanks in advance

the answer is yes

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with paulus1 on this one, I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on you actually being T2. Where are you located? UK?

Mind you at the end of the day so long as your blood glucose is controlled within reason, it doesn't matter what the Docs think you are.

Test, test and test, oh and keep a log of food as well as BG tests and injections.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Are you sure you're type2 like your heading suggests? Only time I was on sliding scale was in 2 labours, just in case I needed a c -section.
I have very little knowledge of that way of managing type2 but that doesn't mean much. Just I've never used it in my insulin therapy regime.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just read your other thread.

Yes endo will investigate more. I'm guessing dn needs info from a sliding scale method to give to endo.
Many type1s use a little of metformin to help with insulin resistance. Let's see what endo comes up with?
Test test and test.
The bigger the picture they have the easier for them to diagnose you properly.
Any hypos before insulin or lowering of bgs through the night? Before insulin injections?
Are you in the UK?

rockeerox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
are you definitely type 2 your picture shows a young healthy looking young woman have they tested your antibodies. type1 or1.5 or mody i would want to be checked for.
They have never tested me other than fasting glucose and a1c (which is all over the place) I see an endo next month.

rockeerox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there @rockeerox
sliding scale will be most successful for somebody with a lifestyle that is fairly fixed ( not a lot of variability )

meal times should be pretty similar each day and assuming your carb amounts are fixed as well ??
in answer to your general query about using sliding scale --

So basically if I understand correctly, I test first then use the sliding scale of units to inject prior to breakfast? Thanks in advance

the answer is yes

I eat pretty healthy most days during the week are the same meals since I meal prep and workout. I ended up taking 10 units of fast acting insulin (novolog) and my fasting this morning was 234 still high but better than my fasting of 380 yesterday

rockeerox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with paulus1 on this one, I wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on you actually being T2. Where are you located? UK?

Mind you at the end of the day so long as your blood glucose is controlled within reason, it doesn't matter what the Docs think you are.

Test, test and test, oh and keep a log of food as well as BG tests and injections.
I'm in florida, hopefully the endo will be able to investigate more next month.

rockeerox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read your other thread.

Yes endo will investigate more. I'm guessing dn needs info from a sliding scale method to give to endo.
Many type1s use a little of metformin to help with insulin resistance. Let's see what endo comes up with?
Test test and test.
The bigger the picture they have the easier for them to diagnose you properly.
Any hypos before insulin or lowering of bgs through the night? Before insulin injections?
Are you in the UK?
Honestly, my bgs stay high. Doesn't matter what I do or eat, at least the last 6 months, on this round of meds. My mother said that at least I'm on insulin now, so if I'm something other than type 2 then I'm on the road to proper treatment. Mom has been type 2 diagnosed for 19 years, but she's never had issues like me and I'm tons more healthy in food and physical activity. She can eat carbs for dinner and have no issues the next day. Its frustrating to watch. I'm in florida.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Honestly, my bgs stay high. Doesn't matter what I do or eat, at least the last 6 months, on this round of meds. My mother said that at least I'm on insulin now, so if I'm something other than type 2 then I'm on the road to proper treatment. Mom has been type 2 diagnosed for 19 years, but she's never had issues like me and I'm tons more healthy in food and physical activity. She can eat carbs for dinner and have no issues the next day. Its frustrating to watch. I'm in florida.
It will be very interesting to see what the outcome is.