first pregnancy and terrified about BMs

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I'm a type 1 on a pump and have just found out last week that I'm pregnant for the first time. Am absolutely delighted about this but finding myself terrified every time my BM goes above 7! Am finding myself over-correcting as a result. Did anyone come up with a good way of dealing with this stress?
Thanks!
Jess

C

catherinecherub

Hi Jess,

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I'll bump your post up for some answers.

emmiewallace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey JessP,

Congratulations :) x

I'm 11w1d with my first and first week of finding out I had a couple of high teen bm's but was told not to panic and correct them so they come down quickly. I'm still getting the odd one above 10 but I get straight onto correcting.

Try not to panic too much because that'll effect your pregnancy and believe me most of the time everything is ok and you kick yourself for worrying so much!

Good luck xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice Emmie. Congrats on your pregnancy! How's it going otherwise? Any bad symptoms?

I saw my consultant this morning and he was telling me much the same...relax! None of the spikes are over 10 so apparently I need to chill a bit and stop panic correcting. I just want to get out of the first trimester (long way to go) and then I might be able to let myself get a bit excited.

Thanks again,
Jess

emmiewallace

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great jessP. Sounds like your doing a fab job keeping them under ten anyway it took me a good week to settle myself! Luckily I've not had any physical sickness just felt it. Very tired especially the last week and thirsty, luckily not to do with bm's xx

You'll be amazed how quickly the time goes :) xx

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi JessP
I have been in the exact same boat as you re the highs hun. Completely stressed me out and like you, my consultant emailed me today and told me to relax, that the results in the main are really good.
It's Flippin petrifying isn't it?!
Although, for the last 2 days I have been stressing because my sugars have come down and started to act a bit more normally. As a result, I kept thinking that there isn't a baby there anymore, until kt and lemontree on here calmed me down (thanks girls)!!!
Crikey, this is going to be an interesting 7-8 months..... Hahaha
Massive congratulations on your pregnancy btw hun
Em xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello Jess and congratulations on your pregnancy, that's wonderful news. Try not to get worried or stressed , most things slot into place and your bs is pretty good. I had my daughter at 42 1/2 and she is now a lovely 13 year old, well most of the time, teenagers:rolleyes: Just look after yourself, enjoy your pregnancy and the time will soon fly by. Best wishes RRB x

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the responses,
Emma congrats on your pregnancy! How far along are you at the moment? Is this your first pregnancy?
I'm loving the fact we can share thoughts and experiences on this website at a time when we can't talk to others. Other than my husband of course but then he's not pregnant and not diabetic and very good at staying completely relaxed!
BW
Jess

sjb2610

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 20wks with my first - and I had 3-4 weeks where I could not get enough insulin to control my sugars. The result of which was me phoning my DSN in tears

BG insulin was eventually put up and I now am struggling sometimes to stay at 5. My hubby is joking that it's a bad day when a high sugar is 5.2

Congrats on your pregnancy. Try to relax is the advice I'm constantly being given - apparently stress and worrying makes sugars worse......................

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree Jess, this site is fabulous!!

I'm really early still, at 5wks4days. We had ivf, so getting a 7wk viability scan a week on Friday. I'm so nervous as we lost our first positive pregnancy via ivf and the following 2 ivf cycles just didn't work! This was our 4th attempt and praying that all is well.
I'm going to be a bag of nerves throughout and the diabetes on top is not going to help.....
I have already emailed my consultant 3 times, for advice!! In yesterday's email, I apologised in advance for the fact that I'm going to drive them bananas for 7-8months!! Hahaha. Lucky that I have a really good and relaxed relationship with them!!!

Congratulations on your pregnancy sjb, your blood sugars sound amazing!!!!

Em xx

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Em I can completely understand the stress but it must be even more so after all you've been through. I'll have my fingers crossed for you a week on Friday. I'm going to organise my viability scan today but can't decide whether to go with 7 or 8 weeks in case my dates are slightly out....not sure I can wait to 8 weeks!

SJB congrats as well....your sugars are amazing! Well done! How did you do that? My struggle is in the last 6-months I went very low carb (essentially only eating them when I was hypo) as I have huge spikes immed after eating and then crash. However am getting quite nauseated in the mornings so eggs are a definitive no no.... It's such a difficult balance!

Thanks for sharing!
Jess

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oooh Jess, eggs sent me into a right spin at the weekend too. I love them but gonna have to avoid them for a little while....

You are right, the last 5 years has been a nightmare for us, so I'm probably going to be a little more uptight than say my sister (she is 8weeks). However, I'm so so grateful that it has finally worked, that Im never going to allow myself to moan and try my best to enjoy as much as possible!!

xxx

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow Em, that's so cool that you and your sister are both pregnant at the same time! How lovely!

I told my obstetric consultant (who I know through work) yesterday that she needs to book me a viability scan and her response was "oh ****! You're going to be a nightmare pregnancy!" Hilarious! I tried to tell her my diabetes is less brittle now but not sure she was convinced! Oh well!

It's ridiculous but I've been slightly less nauseated and exhausted today and whilst I should be grateful, I can't help thinking is it because something's gone wrong?! I know...need to chill I think.

Jess
X

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Jess, I'm with you on the stressing re every lost symptom etc. I am measuring my boobs every day, squeezing them to make sure they hurt, panicking if I'm not gagging when brushing teeth etc etc etc....
I am starting to calm down slightly, having spoken to a few friends who have children and they all reassure me that symptoms come and go!!!
Had period like cramps today and started getting a bit stressed over it. They went after half hour and deep down, I know that they are my uterus stretching and making room for the baby, but I still think the worst!!!!
Think you and I are going to be a right pair throughout our pregnancies hun. Hahaha! We must make sure that we use each other to vent when needed!!

Yeah, it is fab that my sister and I are pregnant at the same time. Can't believe how lucky that was as we have always thought how wonderful it would be to have our kids at same time. Everything happens for a reason and maybe that's why I have had to wait 5 years for my dream to finally come true.....

Hope you are enjoying this fabulous weather?! It is absolutely glorious in Wales today :)

Em x

JessP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Em yet again you've reassured me about symptoms coming and going, thanks! The only thing that doesn't seem to change is my sore boobs....absolute agony! My husband and I haven't told anyone about the pregnancy, am too paranoid at this stage so I can't even ask my friends of whom the majority are either preggers or recently delivered.
I'm up in Scotland and the weather was lovely yesterday and thankfully we had nothing on so i got some serious chill time!
Yep, think we'll definitely be good sounding boards to each other during this whole experience....might save my Hubbie from getting too much stress thrown in his direction!
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
Jx

emmarees26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hahaha, sounds like a plan!!!
I have come out in a terrible rash on my hip today. It's been itchy for days, but this morning there is a load of nasty red blotches! I'm going to see the Dr about it, just in case, but I'm thinking that it may be hormones??!

Jess, I've never been to Scotland. Would love to go some day!! Hope you are having a great weekend xx

sanchia07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I am 21 weeks Monday and have just been put on the pump due to on-going issues with morning highs, I have been told by my DM and Consultant that although varying sugars are not great, the most important time to get them right is 23-30 weeks. In the early weeks my sugars were anything from 18-to off the scale in the mornings. My Consultant has adjusted my correction doses and put me on an extended bolus which has made a massive difference reducing things to between 8-11( and this has helped with spikes after meals!) . At the moment I am making changes every 3 days as the further along you get the more insulin resistant you become - the changes are with phone advice from DM. The hardest thing is not to stress which I know is very difficult and is easier than said! Good luck and congratulations to all on here xx