First pregnancy & high sugars!

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

We’ve been planning pregnancy for a few months (self funding Dexcom to help with sugar control etc). First pregnancy test was negative, thought nothing of it as it was out first month TTC. But my sugars have been very unpredictable this past 5 days, and I’m probably about a week late, so this morning thought let’s pee on a stick again - this time it was positive! Just wondering if anyone else has had highs in the first few weeks? I’ve read a few articles online saying the progesterone levels can cause insulin resistance (similar to PMS) but my DSN said that doesn’t happen & I must have an infection or something. I’ve been needing temporary basal rates of 200% at times & doubling my bonus rates too, then they suddenly drop like a stone!! I have a GP appointment in 2 days & clinic in 5 days. I’m doing what I can to avoid the highs & correct them, but just wondered if any one else experienced highs, my DSN has said it doesn’t happen, but if had a few disputes with her in the past about things.

Apologies if I’m ranting/rambling, just a bit lost & uncertain - I was prepared for the hypos, but not the highs this early on!

Reactions: mytype1.life

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

We’ve been planning pregnancy for a few months (self funding Dexcom to help with sugar control etc). First pregnancy test was negative, thought nothing of it as it was out first month TTC. But my sugars have been very unpredictable this past 5 days, and I’m probably about a week late, so this morning thought let’s pee on a stick again - this time it was positive! Just wondering if anyone else has had highs in the first few weeks? I’ve read a few articles online saying the progesterone levels can cause insulin resistance (similar to PMS) but my DSN said that doesn’t happen & I must have an infection or something. I’ve been needing temporary basal rates of 200% at times & doubling my bonus rates too, then they suddenly drop like a stone!! I have a GP appointment in 2 days & clinic in 5 days. I’m doing what I can to avoid the highs & correct them, but just wondered if any one else experienced highs, my DSN has said it doesn’t happen, but if had a few disputes with her in the past about things.

Apologies if I’m ranting/rambling, just a bit lost & uncertain - I was prepared for the hypos, but not the highs this early on!

Hello there (Great use name!) - I'm afraid never having been pregnant, I can't help with the body of your query, but I just wanted to say congratulations.

We have a Pregnancy section in the forum. There may be some relevant threads in there. We certainly do see a fair bit of discussion about it all.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/pregnancy.47/

Reactions: dulcis-dente

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all.

Congratulations!!

Apologies I can’t help either but keep us informed of your journey how exciting! I’ve read that high blood sugars can be associated with early pregnancy initially.

Out of interest, did you notice any other early symptoms other than high blood sugars and late period?

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies. we’re still shocked having had a negative result first time round!

No, I didn’t notice any other symptoms. Just decided to “pee on a stick” seeing as we were TTC. I’ve been on hormonal contraception since my early teens due to severe cramps during my periods, so had absolutely no idea what to expect from my cycles!! So it was a case of, maybe we should check now. And then I double checked due to my sugars being so erratic after them being fairly stable.
Hoping they do settle soon though, I’m worrying about the effect it will have at such an early stage.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the replies. we’re still shocked having had a negative result first time round!

No, I didn’t notice any other symptoms. Just decided to “pee on a stick” seeing as we were TTC. I’ve been on hormonal contraception since my early teens due to severe cramps during my periods, so had absolutely no idea what to expect from my cycles!! So it was a case of, maybe we should check now. And then I double checked due to my sugars being so erratic after them being fairly stable.
Hoping they do settle soon though, I’m worrying about the effect it will have at such an early stage.

Don’t stress out about a few high readings! My team always tell me that a few highs are better than hypos early on... I bet you’ll wake up tomorrow and have hypos from then on, it’s as unpredictable as that!

I got given a readings diary by week of my pregnancy which I found really useful. Seeing things written down let me easily see whether there was a pattern to be readings so see whether you can get one of those if they don’t initially offer it to you :)

Congratulations it’s an exciting time for you xx

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t stress out about a few high readings! My team always tell me that a few highs are better than hypos early on... I bet you’ll wake up tomorrow and have hypos from then on, it’s as unpredictable as that!

I got given a readings diary by week of my pregnancy which I found really useful. Seeing things written down let me easily see whether there was a pattern to be readings so see whether you can get one of those if they don’t initially offer it to you :)

Congratulations it’s an exciting time for you xx

Thank you Ellie! It’s reassuring to hear (well read). I’m really lucky to be in the position of having a Dexcom CGM (self funded). Although I don’t make treatment decisions without checking my sugars manually, it really helps to spot the patterns. The issue for now is there is no pattern, so just chasing with correction doses etc. I don’t mind if I end up hypo more often, as long as I can minimise any highs. But I think your recording tip is a great idea too - actually writing down my results, doses etc might get me thinking about it more carefully, thank you for the suggestion, that will be my next line of attack from tomorrow on. <—— determination!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I had exactly the same even though literature about pregnant diabetics say they experience lows early on - the first few weeks I lived on high temp basals and needed incredible amounts of insulin. It did change though into the 1st trimester lows - I can't quite remember from which week on though, sorry (it was in 2015 so a little while ago). Congratulations! xx

eabhamurphy

Hi! Congratulations!
I'm 18 weeks with baby #2.
Blood sugars in the beginning are erratic. High then low. Had some days of big highs then many others going low. When I am generally quite level and well controlled.
The literature says what it says but you will have your own data and experience and anything goes. My basals have been changing thoughout.
Obviously for you, early pregnancy has caused a degree of insulin resistance. I would be careful with corrections as you might find you start getting hypos (and losing hypo awareness)
I lost all hypo awareness in pregnancy #1. I knew it could happen in theory but it was still a shock to me!
Good luck! It's so exciting!!!
What insulin therapy do you use? Does the dexcom alert you before highs and lows?
I am currently using pump and a linked CGM. So different from my last pregnancy.

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Eabhamurphy.

I’m on pump therapy (have been for 3.5 years) and have just started with the Dexcom at the end of December, so I can be a bit more proactive when I see my sugars dropping/rising & can treat a hypo before it becomes a hypo so hopefully that will reduce the risk of losing awareness. I have it set to alarm with quick rising/dropping rates & when I’m over or below my target range too. I think the CGM will make such a difference. But I do somethings worry about overreacting to the readings & seesaw a bit.

Are you finding your pump/CGM has made it a easier to control your diabetes this time round or is it info overload at times?

Got a clinic appointment on Monday & GP tomorrow so will hopefully get a bit more info etc then. I feel so clueless about it all!! Not even sure if I should contact midwives direct or if my GP puts that in place! Not sure if I’m being stupid or just a bit overwhelmed!

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I remember having lots of highs in the first few weeks, which worried me rigid at the time. Then things settled for a while, then I had lows pretty much every night when further on. I wasn't on a pump then, so less able to tweak it.
Good luck with your pregnancy. Mine turned out ok by the way.

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I remember having lots of highs in the first few weeks, which worried me rigid at the time. Then things settled for a while, then I had lows pretty much every night when further on. I wasn't on a pump then, so less able to tweak it.
Good luck with your pregnancy. Mine turned out ok by the way.

Thanks Notorious, been getting quite stressed and frustrated at my sugars & worries sick about the damage and it can be doing! So reassuring to hear everything turned out well for you!

Reactions: Notorious

adrian12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey! Congratulations! I'm in my first few weeks of pregnancy myself and also found that my glucose levels were sky high in the first few weeks. If your struggling ask your doctor to refer to the diabetic team at the hospital. They will help you out. Good luck!

gkyeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I totally agree with eabhamurphy. Your sugars go all over the place for the first six weeks. Blame the hormones.:) I've had seven pregnancies including two twin pregnancies. I promise, we do not follow a text book, we do our own thing. I'd love to write a text book for the non-diabetic members of the medical profession. Just so they could become a tad more intelligent about what can happen during pregnancy. Including the fact that our sugars are not regulated simply by what we eat and what we inject. Don't feel guilt about a high sugar, they do happen. I think my greatest help came from realizing I was controlling my diabetes it wasn't controlling me.
Most of all, look after yourself. Enjoy your pregnancy and expect some highs and lows.

eabhamurphy

Thanks Eabhamurphy.

I’m on pump therapy (have been for 3.5 years) and have just started with the Dexcom at the end of December, so I can be a bit more proactive when I see my sugars dropping/rising & can treat a hypo before it becomes a hypo so hopefully that will reduce the risk of losing awareness. I have it set to alarm with quick rising/dropping rates & when I’m over or below my target range too. I think the CGM will make such a difference. But I do somethings worry about overreacting to the readings & seesaw a bit.

Are you finding your pump/CGM has made it a easier to control your diabetes this time round or is it info overload at times?

Got a clinic appointment on Monday & GP tomorrow so will hopefully get a bit more info etc then. I feel so clueless about it all!! Not even sure if I should contact midwives direct or if my GP puts that in place! Not sure if I’m being stupid or just a bit overwhelmed!
So your community midwife will do your booking appointment and this will get you on the 'badger' system so they can send out your scan appointments etc. My diabetes team needed me to see the midwife as they said booking my early viability scan was tricky without being on the badger system. In my first pregnancy I saw my community midwife at that booking appointment and then via phone to get my matb1 form. That was it. Not sure if it's the same in each hospital but the booking appointment with midwife at your GPs does get things moving.

The CGM is really good. Mine links directly to my pump and cuts out when I am going too low. Occasionally I have had instances of it cutting out for two hours and then having rebound highs in the middle of the night, which is really frustrating but that only tends to be when I'm using a new sensor but every night counts for the baby. I cannot imagine what pregnancy would be like without the constant blood sugar focus. And life for that matter but when I'm not pregnant I don't feel the same level of stress if I get any highs.
I don't find it provides too much info really. The other lady in my clinic who got her CGM at the same time as me said she was delighted to get rid of the CGM after breastfeeding as it was too much but I don't think I'll feel that way. Knowledge is power. I've long since accepted being 'bionic' with all these attachments.

From 16w it's consultant appointments and scans every four weeks from 20 weeks. It's all feel very well attended. Then all going to plan you'll probably have an induction scheduled for the beginning of week 38. (Guidance says 37-38+6 for delivery) I'm getting ahead of ourselves now but I love to know and understand everything.. although childbirth is not something you can control easily, certainly not the first time anyways. All worth it!!! Would do it 100 times over to have my lovely son! X

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So your community midwife will do your booking appointment and this will get you on the 'badger' system so they can send out your scan appointments etc. My diabetes team needed me to see the midwife as they said booking my early viability scan was tricky without being on the badger system. In my first pregnancy I saw my community midwife at that booking appointment and then via phone to get my matb1 form. That was it. Not sure if it's the same in each hospital but the booking appointment with midwife at your GPs does get things moving.

The CGM is really good. Mine links directly to my pump and cuts out when I am going too low. Occasionally I have had instances of it cutting out for two hours and then having rebound highs in the middle of the night, which is really frustrating but that only tends to be when I'm using a new sensor but every night counts for the baby. I cannot imagine what pregnancy would be like without the constant blood sugar focus. And life for that matter but when I'm not pregnant I don't feel the same level of stress if I get any highs.
I don't find it provides too much info really. The other lady in my clinic who got her CGM at the same time as me said she was delighted to get rid of the CGM after breastfeeding as it was too much but I don't think I'll feel that way. Knowledge is power. I've long since accepted being 'bionic' with all these attachments.

From 16w it's consultant appointments and scans every four weeks from 20 weeks. It's all feel very well attended. Then all going to plan you'll probably have an induction scheduled for the beginning of week 38. (Guidance says 37-38+6 for delivery) I'm getting ahead of ourselves now but I love to know and understand everything.. although childbirth is not something you can control easily, certainly not the first time anyways. All worth it!!! Would do it 100 times over to have my lovely son! X

Thank you so much for this info eabhamurphy!! I’m like you - I like to have as much info to hand as possible - that way I can prepare (mentally & emotionally) for what’s in store & plan all different contingencies, get ideas etc. I’ve now contacted the comm midwives etc, so first few steps are taken - scary (but very exciting) times ahead.

Hope everything’s going well for you, would love to have a connected CGM & pump, but I’m due to change pump in the next month so though the Dexcom would give the most freedom of choice, plus my partner has an app in his phone so he can see my readings too.

Spiritosl

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Dulcis-dente, congratulations!
Have you checked the vitamin D3 level? It should be above 125 mmol/L.

Pregnancy and lactation

E. Obermere, a British gynaecologist, issued in 1947 the following statement [24]: “Until further experimental evidence, adequate and incontrovertible, is made available, I submit that we should play for safety. In a climate like that of England every pregnant woman should be given a supplement of vitamin D in doses of not less than 10,000 IU per day in the first 7 months, and 20,000 IU (per day) during the 8th and 9th months.”

[24] Obermer, E. Vitamin-D requirements in pregnancy. Br Med J. 1947 Dec 6;2(4535):927

This is equal to 250 µg per day during the first 7 months of pregnancy and 500 µg per day the last two months of pregnancy. No experimental evidence, adequate and incontrovertible, is made available hitherto to change the recommendations from 1947. Rather, the Finnish experiences from 1950th to 1975 had shown that children should have between 125 and 50 µg vitamin D3 is not only safe but helps preventing diabetes type 1 [25]. This is approximately 4 to 8 µg vitamin D3 per day and kg bodyweight.

During lactation the mother’s viamin D3 level should be maintained at or more than 125 nmol/L during lactation to ensure the vitamin D3 transfer via breast milk to he child.

Still, there are no further experimental evidence, adequate and incontrovertible, made available, so the best is to stick to Obermere\s recommendations.

There is a good and scientific method to quickly increase a low vitamin D3 level to a physiological level of at least 125 nmol/L. Have 15 000 µg (600 000 IE) as a single dose and within three days you have a physiological correct level of 125 nmol/L to 250 nmol/L of vitamin D3. See

Cipriani et al Effect of a Single Oral Dose of 600,000 IU of Cholecalciferol on Serum Calciotropic Hormones in Young Subjects with Vitamin D Deficiency: A Prospective Intervention Study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Jul [21] http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2010-0502

In Finland in 1950th up to 1964 they recommended giving 125 µg to newborns without any symptoms of toxicity [8]. 125 µg to a newborn of 2,8 kg is equivalent to 3 125 µg to a 70 kg adult per day.

According to various reports the majority of the populations in many countries have levels of vitamin D3 below the “optimal” level of minimum 75 nmol/L [14], also found in Norway by NNR5 and in Sweden [15]. But there are no reports of vitamin D3 levels below the higher physiological level of 125 nmol/L. This is embarrassing as there must be an even larger proportion of the populations that are deficient I vitamin D3. Also, the levels of vitamin D in Norway is shown to be too low, just 40 nmol/L [16]

A Finnish study giving 50 µg to newborns in 1966 reduced the incidence of diabetes type 1 by 78 % up to 30 years after birth [17]. 50 µg to a newborn of 2,8 kg is equivalent to 1 250 µg (or 50 000 IU) vitamin D3 per day to a 70 kg adult.

In Finland it is shown that an intake of 125-50 µg per day to infants was giving a very low incidence of diabetes type 1 [21]. When the vitamin D3-supplementation decreased in 1975 to 25 µg and in 1992 to a meagre 10 µg then diabetes type 1 has soared

Hyppönen E, Läärä E, Reunanen A, Järvelin MR, Virtanen SM. Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birth-cohort study. Lancet 2001;358:1500 –3.

Vitamin D deficiency impairs insulin secretion and induces glucose intolerance. Several vitamin D related genes are associated with different pathogenetic traits of the disease [22].

So have enough vitamin D3 to stabilize the P-glucose level. And then I would have minimum carbohydrates and add more animal fat, also called LCHF. This diet is perfect for pregnant women shown by Carl von Linne already in 1732. Then you don’t need as much insulin and don’t get any glucose lows due to an overdose of insulin.

dulcis-dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply Spiritosl & sorry for not replying sooner. Unfortunately I miscarried just over a week ago, so I’ve been avoiding this thread just found it a bit difficult. But thank you so much to everyone for the replies, I really appreciate you taking the time. Hopefully I’ll get to put the info to good use soon.
I have been reading about vit D and I have also started the low dose asprin early. My sister suffered recurrent miscarriages. On UVF she was given clexane injections up to week 12, she miscarriage later that week. The only time she carried full term was when she was on clexane right through. I’ve done (& my partner trained surgeon but no longer practicing) has read through research about it and APLS/APS. So hoping we might be more prepared this time!

Sorry for the long & waffling post- I guess I’m still processing through everything & trying to find something I can actively do to minimise the risk of another m/c.

Hope you are all well! :)

gkyeo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your reply Spiritosl & sorry for not replying sooner. Unfortunately I miscarried just over a week ago, so I’ve been avoiding this thread just found it a bit difficult. But thank you so much to everyone for the replies, I really appreciate you taking the time. Hopefully I’ll get to put the info to good use soon.
I have been reading about vit D and I have also started the low dose asprin early. My sister suffered recurrent miscarriages. On UVF she was given clexane injections up to week 12, she miscarriage later that week. The only time she carried full term was when she was on clexane right through. I’ve done (& my partner trained surgeon but no longer practicing) has read through research about it and APLS/APS. So hoping we might be more prepared this time!

Sorry for the long & waffling post- I guess I’m still processing through everything & trying to find something I can actively do to minimise the risk of another m/c.

Wow. Thinking of you and hope that we hear some good news in the very near future.

eabhamurphy

Sorry to hear this news. That's hard. Hope you are doing ok. Take care of yourself. Hope to hear happy news really soon xx