1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

First three months on Metformin

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by iainf1, Jan 15, 2020.

1. iainf1

iainf1 · Member

I was put on 2x500mg Metformin at the end of September when my HbaC1 was 125. First blood results from yesterday show that is now 109. I know that is still too high, but would increasing the dose help lower it at a greater rate?

2. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

What you eat or don’t eat will have bigger impact.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

Metformin wont do much on it's own. However, with low carb and a bit of help from metformin I got from 106 to 46 in three months.
    I was shocked that it had such an impact so quickly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rose22

Rose22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s brilliant you have already seen a reduction in your hba1c level! Keep going with it and making those small daily changes that will help lower it more with each test.
    Met will be helping, but only so much. Think it’s good for the focus to also be the food going in to your body and how it’ll be influencing your sugar levels, every time you eat. Hba1c is a number showing how many sugar molecules are attached to a cell over roughly a 12 week period, as cells die off then. So per cell you can picture 109 sugar molecules on it.
    You’ve started to lower it and it’s a forever thing, so slow and steady might be good way to go. Very fast drops in hba1c aren’t always advised. ☺️

5. Montrealer

Montrealer · Active Member

I’m doing 3 at 500 for90 days .....taking one at 11:00 Pm has dropped my morning readings to around 10.5.......but still not there yet.....still have 5 weeks on this program

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook