First Time Libre User

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just finished my 14 days free trial of the Libre 2, my first experience of a “CGM” so I thought I would write some notes for future reference. I have included them here in the unlikely event that someone else might find them of interest.

I should point out that I am a diet only controlled Type 2 on a moderate low carb diet of about 75g per day. A lot of the capability of the Libre, to record insulin doses, set alarms for hypos etc. were not relevant for me.

Sensor

The application was straightforward and completely painless. Any sensation of the probe entering my arm was masked by the pressure of the applicator and the loud click of the spring.

I thought I had reached round far enough to put the sensor on the back of my arm but it ended up on the side. Looking in a mirror at the time would have been a good idea.

I decided against any covering as I wasn’t going to be engaging in any sports or have bare arms. I didn’t have any problem with knocking the sensor, except once as I brushed against a doorway but nothing happened; possibly saved by the sweatshirt I was wearing.

I didn’t risk a bath for the 14 days, but I did have a shower every morning with no problem. I am a restless sleeper turning from one side to the other, but no problem and no spurious pressure lows despite having the sensor on the side of my arm.

Software

I loaded LibreLink onto my Sony Xperia XZ1 and LibreView onto my PC without any problem. The data was automatically shared between them; I didn’t have to do anything except sign on. The data doesn’t appear on LibreView until the first 5 days have elapsed to make the calculations meaningful. There is third party software and various physical add-ons available but for my limited purposes, the basic set up was more than adequate.

I didn’t set the alarms as I didn’t need them and also it meant I could turn my phone Bluetooth off. I scanned the sensor every time there was a point of interest, before meals, an hour after, two hours after etc. to get a precise number. If there was some way to magnify the vertical scale of the graph then I could have scanned less often.

Results

Most of the results were as I suspected they would be from finger pricking. However it was reassuring to have my assumptions confirmed.

I get a peak 1 hour after starting eating, and the level is usually back to less than 1 mmol/L above the starting point after 2 hours. The exception is with low GI foods, like lentils, where the peak is later but not so high, however the duration is longer. One thing I did discover, that I had missed with finger pricking, was the effect of carbs at breakfast time was much greater than later in the day. I usually have a slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed toast with my bacon and egg. I get back to less than 2 mmol/L rise after 2 hours but the peak was the highest I recorded, over 10 on one occasion. I can have 25g or so of carbs with my dinner without a problem but 12g of carbs at breakfast was too much.

Accuracy

I did some concurrent finger pricks but the difference between the finger prick and the Libre wasn’t consistent. My BG is pretty much a flat line at 6.1 overnight so I did a finger prick test in the middle of the night as it would eliminate a delay in readings and it was 5.0mm/L I don’t know what to conclude from that. LibreLink predicted my HbA1c as 38 which is exactly what it was last time it was tested.

Conclusion

For someone like me an occasional investment in a sensor might be useful but I wouldn’t gain much from regular use. For a Type 1, or anyone on Insulin it should automatically be available on prescription to anyone who wants it, the alarms and the aids to control seem to me to be essential. I would also suggest that say 2 sensors could be prescribed to a suitable Type 2, on diagnosis or soon after, to be able to see how their diet is affecting their BG and convince them what they need to do about it.

Jo123

Thank you for your report, I've got a libre 2 coming for a two week trial and that was very helpful.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is extremely useful. I think I will do a trial, having wondered about it for a while.

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is extremely useful. I think I will do a trial, having wondered about it for a while.
Half way through the trial now. It's very interesting.

It mostly reads higher than finger prick tests. I'm also using diabox to poll the numbers every 5 minutes or so and that reads it lower too. After it settled down my levels are consistently between 4 and about 6.5.

So today I decided to see what a bowl of porridge does to me (30g carbs), not had any since last March when I was diagnosed. Pretty obvious effect. Probably, at an increase of 2.5-3.0, the highest spike (that I'm aware of) in the last year. Still nothing too high in absolute terms but good to know.

I've 7 days left so might try some fruit tomorrow, then various other things I avoid to see what they do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210428-231330.png
    Screenshot_20210428-231330.png
    64 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot_20210428-221537_DiaBox.png
    Screenshot_20210428-221537_DiaBox.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 127

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should not be a problem.
I have being using the Libre for 18 months and have taken plenty of baths in that time and never had any issues.
I was being cautious as it was the first time. Do you immerse the sensor in a bath or try to keep it above water? When I came to the end of the 14 days I soaked my arm in a fairly hot bath and the sensor peeled off easily.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have included them here in the unlikely event that someone else might find them of interest.

I find this very much of interest, thank you for doing this.
Good to hear that the A1c correlated, your control looks fabulous.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got 3 days left on my trial, and I've learn a lot .Even 1 Warburton protein thin is a no, no. Lattes are out (rare treat, may try with Almond Milk" I make better food choices with it on as I know it's watching me all the time. After checking I've rearranged taking some of my meds and my DP is much reduced . No more SF sweets, BG shoots through the roof

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No more SF sweets, BG shoots through the roof
I don't know if you mean packets of sweets or desserts, I don't eat either of them so I didn't test during my Libre trial. I am interested in what sugar free ingredient might be causing the bg rise - have you any theories?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The sugar free sweets I have in the house have carbs in them. Could that be the cause?
They're polyols (sugar alcohols) which aren't supposed to affect your BG's, but go in one end and out of the other undigested (that's why they can cause upset stomachs in large quantities) they don't cause a reaction in everyone, but I must be one of the unlucky ones

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was being cautious as it was the first time. Do you immerse the sensor in a bath or try to keep it above water? When I came to the end of the 14 days I soaked my arm in a fairly hot bath and the sensor peeled off easily.

Back when I started the Libre 1 I had a good rummage on the Abbott website.
It said that the sensor can cope with being immersed for up to 20 mins, at up to a meter depth, I think. And that the operating temperature was up to 40 degrees.
Basically, that was hotter and deeper than I would ever expect to need, and as for bathing, I don't usually have my sensor area submerged for 20 mins at a time.
So I guess that would make them fine for baths and showers, and even for short hot tub sessions.

I haven't checked the blurb for the Libre 2, but I would expect it to cope with at least the same conditions.

Having said that, I think it is useful to know what the manufacturers are stating are the known parameters.

Lakeslover

The libre 2 says it can be immersed for 30 mins. I have had a bath with one on under the water with no problems.

now the swimming pools are open I swim for 45 minutes to an hour so I cover my libre with waterproof tegaderm and it works fine. The traders stops the sensor being pulled off too...a bonus.

Reactions: Brunneria

sgm14

It is high enough on my arm that it isn't fully immersed for the whole time, but could be fully immersed for two or three minutes. It is not something I worry about.