First Time Post

MattGreaves

Hi my name is Matt, I have read various posts from this forum but this is my first post.

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic about 6 months ago now. My first HBA1C test was 94 following the doctors advice and various reading after I understand this to be considerably high and was advised to take metformin 3 times a day. During the first 3 months after being diagnosed I managed to vastly improve my diet and increase my level of exercise during, my next HBA1C test came back as 44, that I was very pleased about and the diabetic nurse was too (I made her day). The following 3 months weren't as great, I struggled to maintain the healthy eating to the level I had achived originally and my next HBA1C result was 46 so still a vast improvement from my first score although a little higher than I would have liked, on the back of the results I have been reduced down to 1 metformin a day this meets my long term plan of wanting to be diet and exercise controlled as I feel this is would be best for me long term rather than being brilliant on medication. Following the last test I have been following a regular healthy diet of fruits vegetables salads and protein and are currently getting exercise 2 to 3 times a day. I test my fasted blood sugar levels first thing in a morning and in the late afetrnoon and constantly are between 4 and 5. I am intrigued on peoples opinion if this is a bad thing being constantly low, at my next visit to the diabetic nurse I am going to ask to see a dietician to help with my queries regarding diet as I find so much conflicting information in books and online. On average I burn anywhere between 4,000-5,000 calories a day (tracked via my fitbit) I feel in the best shape I ever have and have more energy. I am just also conscious am I going too overboard with the exercise and diet?

It certainly has been an interesting 6 months, the initial shock of the diagnosis and the realisation of the choices and impact of the food I previously ate was doing too my body, i am not one to dwell and the what ifs and buts but like to put a positive outlook on things no matter how hard it can be the changes I am making are things that I previously wanted to achieve anyway such as loose weight improve generally fitness, the diagnosis gave me the motivation that this was no longer and optional it was something I needed to do for my health and wellbeing.

Quite the lengthy introduction but I like to speak what is on my mind and thought I would share my story so far.

Thanks
Matt

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, and welcome to the forum! And very well done to your reduction in blood sugar!
I test my fasted blood sugar levels first thing in a morning and in the late afetrnoon and constantly are between 4 and 5. I am intrigued on peoples opinion if this is a bad thing being constantly low
Those numbers aren't low, they're perfectly normal and healthy. However, your hba1c of 46 suggests you're regularly higher than that. Have you tried testing one and two hours after fruit and other foods to see what it does to your bg?
As you have been reading this forum for some time I expect you've come across @daisy1 's very informative info sheet already, but I've tagged her anyway to be sure.
Good luck!

Reactions: knoxy55 and dbr10

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope you are testing frequently enough to see whether you are risking hypos and hope you are informed about hypos
As far as I understand @MattGreaves is on diet, exercise and metformin, which usually don't hold a risk of hypo's.

MattGreaves

Welcome, Matt

Looking forward to your future postings.

My attitude about the fitness is to do it as much and as often as you can while you can without putting too much stress on any of your joints or risking injury. I hope you are testing frequently enough to see whether you are risking hypos and hope you are informed about hypos

Thanks for the reply,

I generally try and do weights in a morning walk on a lunch and swim after work so generally try and keep it low impact as I can, I am 6 foot 5 so have previously found it difficult for higher impact exercises such as running and cycling. I do test pretty frequently as I was concerned initially and generally does sit around the 4 mark I do occasionally drop down into the 3s but I vary rarely notice any form of sympotms of a hypo

Reactions: imperp

MattGreaves

Hello, and welcome to the forum! And very well done to your reduction in blood sugar!

Those numbers aren't low, they're perfectly normal and healthy. However, your hba1c of 46 suggests you're regularly higher than that. Have you tried testing one and two hours after fruit and other foods to see what it does to your bg?
As you have been reading this forum for some time I expect you've come across @daisy1 's very informative info sheet already, but I've tagged her anyway to be sure.
Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, yes the HBA1C of 46 wasn't my greatest 3 month's from an eating perspective so I expected it to be slightly higher my diet has been much better and consistent from then, Yes I normally try and eat a meal and test 2 hours after to see what impact the food has, it is generally before food in the low 4's or high 3's and 2 hours after food high 4's. thanks for the link will checkout @daisy1

Thanks you too

Reactions: Antje77

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi my name is Matt, I have read various posts from this forum but this is my first post.

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic about 6 months ago now. My first HBA1C test was 94 following the doctors advice and various reading after I understand this to be considerably high and was advised to take metformin 3 times a day. During the first 3 months after being diagnosed I managed to vastly improve my diet and increase my level of exercise during, my next HBA1C test came back as 44, that I was very pleased about and the diabetic nurse was too (I made her day). The following 3 months weren't as great, I struggled to maintain the healthy eating to the level I had achived originally and my next HBA1C result was 46 so still a vast improvement from my first score although a little higher than I would have liked, on the back of the results I have been reduced down to 1 metformin a day this meets my long term plan of wanting to be diet and exercise controlled as I feel this is would be best for me long term rather than being brilliant on medication. Following the last test I have been following a regular healthy diet of fruits vegetables salads and protein and are currently getting exercise 2 to 3 times a day. I test my fasted blood sugar levels first thing in a morning and in the late afetrnoon and constantly are between 4 and 5. I am intrigued on peoples opinion if this is a bad thing being constantly low, at my next visit to the diabetic nurse I am going to ask to see a dietician to help with my queries regarding diet as I find so much conflicting information in books and online. On average I burn anywhere between 4,000-5,000 calories a day (tracked via my fitbit) I feel in the best shape I ever have and have more energy. I am just also conscious am I going too overboard with the exercise and diet?

It certainly has been an interesting 6 months, the initial shock of the diagnosis and the realisation of the choices and impact of the food I previously ate was doing too my body, i am not one to dwell and the what ifs and buts but like to put a positive outlook on things no matter how hard it can be the changes I am making are things that I previously wanted to achieve anyway such as loose weight improve generally fitness, the diagnosis gave me the motivation that this was no longer and optional it was something I needed to do for my health and wellbeing.

Quite the lengthy introduction but I like to speak what is on my mind and thought I would share my story so far.

Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on reducing your HBA1c down to 46. The lower, the better in the long run to avoid horrific complications.

Please tell me your typical breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?

Andrew

Reactions: knoxy55

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your numbers are fine, and normal. You have done brilliantly to bring your HbA1c down so much. :)

However, as mentioned above, your HbA1c is equivalent to an average of 7.6mmol/l so you are obviously spending a lot of time above that figure, taking your 4's into account. I suspect part of it may be the fruit. It is full of sugar, and not really advisable for a diet/Metformin only T2. Sadly, the fructose is dealt with by the liver, the same as alcohol is, and is regarded by the liver as toxic, so is converted to fat and this fat lies around the liver. This creates insulin resistance, which is part and parcel of T2 diabetes.

If you feel you are overdoing the exercise, then reduce it. You have to be happy with how you control this, and it has to be sustainable for years to come, if not forever. Exercise is good for everyone, but it is not essential. Diet is the primary tool in combating diabetes. Brisk walks are just as good as anything, but it is whatever floats your boat.

Reactions: Liam1955

MattGreaves

Hi Matt,

Congratulations on reducing your HBA1c down to 46. The lower, the better in the long run to avoid horrific complications.

Please tell me your typical breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?

Andrew

Thanks thats the approach I am taking the lower the better, it is hard work to be organised with meals and exercise but will be worth it in the long run.

A typical day consists off

Brekfast 5AM
Raw Oats Banna frozen fruit, chia seeds and coconut milk mixed up and left over night

Morning snack 9AM
Protein shake +2 x Orange's

Lunch time 12
2 wholemeal sandwich thins, usually with chicken or tuna and some salad for filling and a portion of grapes

Afternoon snack is usually 3PM
an Apple and portion of blueberries and sometimes a protein shake depending on hunger/sore muscles

Late afternoon snack 5pm
Banna or cashew nuts depending on BG reading

Tea 6-7PM
1 or 2 Chicken breasts or some other meat form and the rest of the plate full of salad or veg

Then more fruit late evening if I am feeling hungry

Thanks for your help

MattGreaves

Your numbers are fine, and normal. You have done brilliantly to bring your HbA1c down so much. :)

However, as mentioned above, your HbA1c is equivalent to an average of 7.6mmol/l so you are obviously spending a lot of time above that figure, taking your 4's into account. I suspect part of it may be the fruit. It is full of sugar, and not really advisable for a diet/Metformin only T2. Sadly, the fructose is dealt with by the liver, the same as alcohol is, and is regarded by the liver as toxic, so is converted to fat and this fat lies around the liver. This creates insulin resistance, which is part and parcel of T2 diabetes.

If you feel you are overdoing the exercise, then reduce it. You have to be happy with how you control this, and it has to be sustainable for years to come, if not forever. Exercise is good for everyone, but it is not essential. Diet is the primary tool in combating diabetes. Brisk walks are just as good as anything, but it is whatever floats your boat.

Thanks for the advice, from my new method of testing 2 hours after food I found it was the carbohydrates that was causing the blood sugar to rise so much, since drastically reducing the amount of carbohydrates I eat I have noticed a constant drop in my readings throughout the day and expect my next HBA1C test to be significantly lower.

It is not so much I feel I'm overdoing the exercise as I feel better than I ever have and do enjoy the challenge of exercising, it is the various comments from people that I am overdoing it and doing too much that has lead me to question my routine/diet.

Thanks for your advice

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply,

I generally try and do weights in a morning walk on a lunch and swim after work so generally try and keep it low impact as I can, I am 6 foot 5 so have previously found it difficult for higher impact exercises such as running and cycling. I do test pretty frequently as I was concerned initially and generally does sit around the 4 mark I do occasionally drop down into the 3s but I vary rarely notice any form of sympotms of a hypo

Provided you feel fine, I would be totally unconcerned with your figures. Indeed I run solidly in the 4s the vast majority of the time. I do go lower and I sometimes go just over 5 after breakfast, when carbs seem to impact me most, albeit not to any degree to be the lest bit concerned.

Just keep an eye on things and listen to your body. If it isn't comfortabale doing what you're doing, try something else.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks thats the approach I am taking the lower the better, it is hard work to be organised with meals and exercise but will be worth it in the long run.

A typical day consists off

Brekfast 5AM
Raw Oats Banna frozen fruit, chia seeds and coconut milk mixed up and left over night

Morning snack 9AM
Protein shake +2 x Orange's

Lunch time 12
2 wholemeal sandwich thins, usually with chicken or tuna and some salad for filling and a portion of grapes

Afternoon snack is usually 3PM
an Apple and portion of blueberries and sometimes a protein shake depending on hunger/sore muscles

Late afternoon snack 5pm
Banna or cashew nuts depending on BG reading

Tea 6-7PM
1 or 2 Chicken breasts or some other meat form and the rest of the plate full of salad or veg

Then more fruit late evening if I am feeling hungry

Thanks for your help

Gosh - that's a lot of fruit! Many, many find they can't tolerate food too well. What are your peak numbers on your diet?

MattGreaves

Provided you feel fine, I would be totally unconcerned with your figures. Indeed I run solidly in the 4s the vast majority of the time. I do go lower and I sometimes go just over 5 after breakfast, when carbs seem to impact me most, albeit not to any degree to be the lest bit concerned.

Just keep an eye on things and listen to your body. If it isn't comfortabale doing what you're doing, try something else.
Thanks that is reassuring to know that other people have similar readings and it is perfectly normal, I was just curious to get other peoples opinions as I have had mixed feedback from people I have spoken too.

Yes that is what I have been trying to do is monitor it closely see what has an impact and change it up accordingly but so far cutting down carbs with the diet and exercise I have more energy than ever and feeling the best I ever have.

I must be lucky I seem to be able to eat relative as much fruit as I like and it has no or minimal impact on my numbers.

Thanks for your advice

Reactions: catarinagallo

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks
Matt
Hi Matt, well done on your success so far. My story is fairly similar to yours, like you I wanted to make changes to diet and fitness levels but life generally got in the way. Then I was diagnosed with this diabetes malarkey. However in some respects this has been my saving grace, I was allowed to try diet and exercise for 3 months, like you I made my diabetic nurses day with my improved BG and weight loss. I am due my second test in June, I am hoping that I have improved again and numbers are down further. I am now much fitter, a lot lighter and much more aware of what I eat, this is something that takes a bit of getting used to and although in an ideal world I would like a cure for us all I’m happy to continue with this healthier happy and lighter me.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been and checked my bg meter and my highest reading this month was 5.4

How soon after eating banana did you check BS. Those little,Devils can be like milk in a shell suit? But if you can personally handle them...? :)

Nice work on your A1c by the way!

Welcome to the forum..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been and checked my bg meter and my highest reading this month was 5.4

Have you checked constantly, for instance, using Libre sensors, The +2 hours reading is extremely useful, but it doesn't necessarily show the whole picture.

Please don' think I'm trying to rain on your BBQ, but I'm maybe a bit concerned you may be having peaks you've not been seeing.

As a matter of interest, what do the numbers look like you do don't exercise for a couple of weeks?

MattGreaves

Hi Matt, well done on your success so far. My story is fairly similar to yours, like you I wanted to make changes to diet and fitness levels but life generally got in the way. Then I was diagnosed with this diabetes malarkey. However in some respects this has been my saving grace, I was allowed to try diet and exercise for 3 months, like you I made my diabetic nurses day with my improved BG and weight loss. I am due my second test in June, I am hoping that I have improved again and numbers are down further. I am now much fitter, a lot lighter and much more aware of what I eat, this is something that takes a bit of getting used to and although in an ideal world I would like a cure for us all I’m happy to continue with this healthier happy and lighter me.

Hi Janney, Thank you and likewise well done on your progress, keep positive and keep up the good work you have already been doing and I am sure your numbers will reflect the work you put in at your next test. Yes I do know what you mean it would be nice if a cure existed, although knowing what I know now I don't think I could go back to my old ways of eating, We can just keep putting in the good work to a healthier happier lifestyle.

Reactions: knoxy55 and Prem51

MattGreaves

How soon after eating banana did you check BS. Those little,Devils can be like milk in a shell suit? But if you can personally handle them...? :)

Nice work on your A1c by the way!

Welcome to the forum..

Thanks, I generally always try and check 2 hours after eating, Yes I have heard to be careful of banana's, I must just be lucky as my body seems to cope pretty well with them

Thank you

Reactions: Jaylee

MattGreaves

Have you checked constantly, for instance, using Libre sensors, The +2 hours reading is extremely useful, but it doesn't necessarily show the whole picture.

Please don' think I'm trying to rain on your BBQ, but I'm maybe a bit concerned you may be having peaks you've not been seeing.

As a matter of interest, what do the numbers look like you do don't exercise for a couple of weeks?

No unfortunately I only have a monitor with testing strips so generally tends to be at intervals rather than a more frequent check.

No, not at all I would rather have all the information to make an informed decision rather than following a path that might not be the right one.

I haven't really had much time off from exercising so can't really put an estimation on that, my guess would be they would go up or I would need to reduce the amount I eat

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Janney, Thank you and likewise well done on your progress, keep positive and keep up the good work you have already been doing and I am sure your numbers will reflect the work you put in at your next test. Yes I do know what you mean it would be nice if a cure existed, although knowing what I know now I don't think I could go back to my old ways of eating, We can just keep putting in the good work to a healthier happier lifestyle.
Yes, I agree about the new way of eating, I said as much today, it’s surprising how quickly you adapt to eating fewer carbs and don’t feel the need for sugary or sweet things. I’m now very conscious about what I eat and although I had a fairly healthy diet before, the amount of carbs in some of my old favourites was a real eye opener. I don’t see myself going back to lots of carb heavy foods now, I enjoy the benefits of low carb and know that if I want to control this condition this is the way to do it.

Reactions: Prem51