First two days

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before Christmas Jess started with saline on her pump then had a break over the holidays and on Wed this week we went live with insulin. So far it's all been good but tiring as we're testing through the night so that we can begin to draw up a picture of how to tweak the basal settings. But even with these rough estimates on dosages we're getting better readings that we did with injections. It is fantastic that she can have a snack and not have to get extra injections to cover the carbs. Looking forward to getting through these next few weeks and having the basal rate adjusted more accurately, I don't think we'll regret moving to a pump at all. :D

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yey! Great start. Like the sound of it. I start on Monday... Have done the initial 'button pressing' training and am looking forward to starting properly on Monday. They've made me take a week off work to get the hang of using the pump 8) . Apparently it's like becoming diabetic all over again?... have you found that at all? I'm just looking foward to the better control, less eratic levels, flexibility around sport and daytime TV (for 1 week only).

Keep us updated,

Sam.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sam, that's great news that you have a start date. There seems to be a quite few members on this forum either having just recently started or about to start on the pump.

It has been a little like being diagnosed all over again in that when I test Jess I'm not sure if her reading is on the way up, down or stable (still early days in knowing if basal is set correctly) and I've been unsure how exercise will affect her readings. School swimming lessons this week was fun trying to decide what her reading should be before the lesson started. They started us on a lower basal than she had been with injections and I was convinced it wouldn't be enough, but at the end of day two now I'm thinking we might even need to reduce it a bit more. She's using less insulin than before and getting lower readings. The bolus with meals seems to be working much more efficiently too, within 2 hours her reading is much lower than it used to be at that time with injections.

But although it's like being diagnosed again in some ways in other ways it's much easier to manage in that I have better knowledge and understanding on my side so I feel much more confident in coping and dealing with all these new changes that the pump is bringing.

Good luck with Monday and let us know how you get on :)

ruralweb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter has been on a pump for almost a year now and it is as you say just like starting from scratch again but it does get better. The best part of it is that she can eat as much as she wants and whatever she wants whenever she wants - some of her best days are when she eats loads of sweets with other kids :) which she never have done on injections

Hazza

Definitely well done, it sound like you are doing really well.
Lily has been on the pump for about 6 weeks now and we have had a few problems with cannulas but we have started using a different type today and hoping that she will be better on these.
Good luck and try to get some sleep, it is very tireing having to test at night but well worth the effort. You only get benefits if you put the work in, and it sounds like you are doing a great job.
Keep it up.

Harry

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I knew the pump would make Jess' BG control better but never did I believe it would make it SO much better. Every time we do a BG test I have to pinch myself, can't believe this is real, perfect readings each and every single time.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya this sounds fantastic dylan is being put on a pump next mon with saline and going live the following mon we have struggled to get good control (hba1c being above 10 everytime) to the point dylan thinks he is low if his reading is under 8, i too wondered if the pump could possibly make that much difference to his control and its lovely to hear ur succcess so early on in the process fingers crossed we have the same luck.
hope things continue to improve for u
anna marie