First week of low carb low cal almost done

susanprice1964

After starting the 800 cal diet for the second time (successful 14kg lost last year followed immediately by a chest infection, so returned to insulin and had steady weight gain since), first week is almost done. I'll post weight loss on Monday as I'm away from scales for the weekend.
Progress good. Over 2kg loss so far, been for a run, body fat is coming down, stopped taking insulin midweek after gradually reducing it. Fasting bloods have been in the 5's since I've been off the insulin. I'm still taking Metformin and will continue for at least a month before considering reducing a little, but not cancelling altogether yet. I'm planning to stick with it for longer, if only to set the eating habits more firmly.
Happy days

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask what you are eating? I saw you mention porridge on another thread.. or is it a low carb one?

susanprice1964

May I ask what you are eating? I saw you mention porridge on another thread.. or is it a low carb one?
I do make porridge and add different things. I make it with coconut milk or almond milk to keep it creamy and preserve Cal's. I add cinnamon or ginger and often a dessert spoon of unsweetened dessicated coconut which helps it thicken. I also prep the ingredients the night before they cook easier. I also have yogurt berries and seeds, and get a lot of recipes from the carbs and Cal's book

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do make porridge and add different things. I make it with coconut milk or almond milk to keep it creamy and preserve Cal's. I add cinnamon or ginger and often a dessert spoon of unsweetened dessicated coconut which helps it thicken. I also prep the ingredients the night before they cook easier. I also have yogurt berries and seeds, and get a lot of recipes from the carbs and Cal's book

Hi Susan, how many carbs have you been sticking to?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I set the target at 800, but most days so far I've kept under by about 50-70. I've only had one or two hunger pangs, but generally ok, not feeling hungry
I think the question was about carbs rather than cals.. have you thought of eating fewer carbs but upping the fat content to feel a bit less hungry?

susanprice1964

I think the question was about carbs rather than cals.. have you thought of eating fewer carbs but upping the fat content to feel a bit less hungry?
As I've been following the carbs & cals book I've not actually counted the carbs. I was eating a lot of the wrong stuff before so I guess might explain the pangs, but one or two in a week isn't so bad. In the next few days the keto stuff will be in full swing so should be no pangs at all

susanprice1964

After a properly rubbish 2nd week, I'm back on insulin, but determined to continue low carbing. What is considered "low enough carb"? I looked at the carb content of the recipes in the carbs and Cal's book and was shocked that some of the recipes are seemingly high 30, 40 and higher in some cases per portion. I need to loose about 10-15 kg to get to a better place weight wise, but am aware that to improve my diabetes, the low carbing is the most important. I've just written my shopping list/menu for the week and decided this time to concentrate on carb content. I am going to try and make scrambled eggs for brekkie each day as a start to the day.
Any advice on levels of low carb welcome

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try and limit myself to 30g a day, but I usually only eat one meal a day. Others go lower than that I think, but it's mainly about finding a way that works for you.

Good luck!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
There is no absolute 'low enough', we all find what is right for us. Some go very low carb (30g or less per day) others go low carb (about 100g or lower). Personally I use my meter to find what I can and can not eat, a rise of more than 2 after a meal is too many and generally that means keeping clear of grain products from porridge to pasta via bread, limiting below ground veg and only having a few berries as fruit. When I started I would snack on a little cheese. I have no idea how many calories or carbs I was eating, I try to find the number of servings on packs of prepared food and stick to that. I consistently lost a pound a week, which does not sound much but over 6 months it mounts up and by losing the weight that slowly my body adjusted itself so there were only a couple of weeks when the scales did not move down and then my body measurements did. I am vain enough to think that I do not have lose flaps of skin because it adjusted as I lost weight. I also increased my activity level, fitting in walks of different routes and lengths. It also meant that a new way of eating was established and needed very little adjustment to maintain. I have some slices of cheese and salami sitting in the fridge at work for a 'filler' if I feel peckish, usually one slice is sufficient and that is the trick - to relearn what is 'sufficient'

susanprice1964

Thanks for your replies David and Phoenix. It has reassured me enough to continue with the recipe books I have to find out the right level for me. First of the month tomorrow, so hopefully a good day to get back on it and make week 3 better.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Each day is a new day and a fresh start. Take each day as it comes, then count the good days over a longer period of time. There will be times when you think you are doing everything right but it does not bring down your bg, others when you are surprised that you 'got away' with more carbs in a meal. The best days are the ones when you wake up smiling and go to bed with a smile on your face, so go for it, you can do it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is considered "low enough carb"?
The way I look at it is there are zero essential carbs so I try to stay as close to that as possible.
However I do have carbs in a few things like cream in coffee, lactofree milk in tea and the odd bits from cheese and pork scratchings. When following a ketogenic way of eating green veg would also contribute although I have cut back on veg recently to try a more carnivore way of eating. I am know however for being a bit "out there".