Fish and Chips

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just started refurbishing our kitchen and the power is disconnected. So I went and collected some fish and chips for dinner. We wanted one large cod and chips for my wife and daughter to share, and a large cod on its own for me. The man put the chips and two fish in a box and I said "Are those large cod they look a bit small?" He said "I add another one" which seemed reasonable, three small instead of two large. He then got another box and put three more fish in that so we ended up with six pieces of fish!

Now we come to the diabetes point..... As I was leaving I asked " Can you do fish without batter?" He said "No problem it's called (what sounded like) Rice Cod". I asked him to repeat it, but he has a strong accent and I still couldn't catch what he said. So is it only me that didn't realise I could order fish without batter? and any idea what he might have called it?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have just started refurbishing our kitchen and the power is disconnected. So I went and collected some fish and chips for dinner. We wanted one large cod and chips for my wife and daughter to share, and a large cod on its own for me. The man put the chips and two fish in a box and I said "Are those large cod they look a bit small?" He said "I add another one" which seemed reasonable, three small instead of two large. He then got another box and put three more fish in that so we ended up with six pieces of fish!

Now we come to the diabetes point..... As I was leaving I asked " Can you do fish without batter?" He said "No problem it's called (what sounded like) Rice Cod". I asked him to repeat it, but he has a strong accent and I still couldn't catch what he said. So is it only me that didn't realise I could order fish without batter? and any idea what he might have called it?

I used to own a chippy and, in theory, there is no reason why you can't deep fry unbattered fish but nobody ever asked for it and I've never done it. I wonder if it might dry out or even fall apart though. We did get people asking for very lightly battered fish.

Reactions: Kittycat_7_
D

Deleted Account

I don’t like batter but I like fish from the chippy.
I buy normal battered fish and “peel” the batter off to leave beautiful, ungreasy, steamed fish.
The batter always comes off easy.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t like batter but I like fish from the chippy.
I buy normal battered fish and “peel” the batter off to leave beautiful, ungreasy, steamed fish.
The batter always comes off easy.
Not liking the batter is an advantage you have over me, I tell myself I won't eat the batter but I can resist everything except temptation and eat the lot. Next time I will explore the no batter option the fish and chip man suggested.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mrpot - Having had to go gluten-free, I once asked the chippy chappie to do me some unbattered fish.

When the fish came, surely it didn't have any batter, but it had been dredged with flour it seems. Doh!

I had a strong gluten reaction. I'll spare you the details.

Hey ho.

Nowadays, if the chippy appeals to my OH, I tend to have a couple of high meat, GF sausages, done in the airfryer.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am another that buys a large cod. I peel off the batter, spread the fish with some butter, add a slosh of vinegar, and eat it with a spoonful of mushy peas. However, the batter is always tempting, so I do eat a few scraps of the very crispy end bits. Sometimes there are 2 normal sized fish in the box rather than a large.