Fish

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I love fish but can't eat oily ones. Anyway, i was wondering if eating more fish and less meat might have been a contributing factor in my run of 4s FBG. Any thoughts?

amazinglyso

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Languages, Technology, creativity, welfare of animals and indigenous cultures.
Indigenous people eat fish of all exotic and plain variety as a major part of their diets, not just modern-day Scandinavians and world-wide ocean tribes. If there was any danger that you are consuming too much E, D and B Vits (all fishes possess them, oily or not), then would also have direct health-ailments on all human populations, even if not at all diabetic. Substituting Fish with say Red meats to balance 4s FBG should not significantly affect the results. However, on a personal note, it is essential that some red meats are eaten twice weekly, precisely because Iron content in Greens (vegetables), although rich in many vitamins, absorbs differently in the blood-stream altogether. A young person 16-25 can get away with a vegetarian diet for instance without risking their health - was vegetarian myself for many years, yet by age 32 was severely anaemic without even knowing this. Not that this will happen to everyone, yet certainly can contribute to overall physical health as we mature.

To be really sure I would say speak to an experienced dietitian, though there does exist a lot of individual bias towards healthy eating from one practitioner to the next depending on what school of thought they have studied and most passionate about. My recent dietitian was hospital-based and her opinions agreed with mine, not all will have the same opinions as yourself.

Reactions: SueJB

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love fish but can't eat oily ones. Anyway, i was wondering if eating more fish and less meat might have been a contributing factor in my run of 4s FBG. Any thoughts?

My FBG is often lower after eating fish. Suspect it’s because that means I’ve eaten less protein rather than due to the fish itself.

Reactions: SueJB

amazinglyso

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Languages, Technology, creativity, welfare of animals and indigenous cultures.
My FBG is often lower after eating fish. Suspect it’s because that means I’ve eaten less protein rather than due to the fish itself.

Perhaps if the fish is (non oily), itself, may explain why your FBG is often lower after eating it, yet suspect that is unlikely the case and far more to do with lack of antioxidants that accompany your meals?. I am type 2 yet eat a variety of meats (always), complimented by lots of pulses such as kidney beans, peppers, onions, celery, dark greens, chickpeas, beetroot, lentils, Avacado Yams: things I never knew existed or ate less than 10 years ago!. I must be brimming full of multi-vitamins and why I never have a need to take them in tablet-form. :)

So many people are now switching to vegan lifestyles as a direct result of alarming-media reports on Diabetes, no matter what group we fall into. This is not a bad thing at all if you are having to manage your condition under strict medical guidelines and have anxieties about food limitations. However, as far as I am concerned, unless you are struggling with profound obesity and mass of granite body-weight; a little of everything does you good as long as you consume more antioxidant foods with every meal (6 days a week) - avoiding fast-food temptations is key to losing weight and only making your own meals from scratch. Even slim FBG sufferers need lots of water fibres to rid their bodies of unintelligible fats/sugars - water alone is never quite enough.

A great website to visit if you want more information about alternative food sources is to go to https://www.viva.org.uk/l-plate-vegan/products-category-meat-fish-alternatives. Not appealing to everyone, yet at least might provide you with fish-substitutions that are equally as effective at maintaining positive FBG levels. :angelic::angelic::angelic::):):):)