Fitbit users...

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any fitbit users who used it to monitor calories burned against food intake? I'm still losing weight 8 months after my T1 diagnosis and trying to work out if it's simply not enough food or something more sinister.

GP running bloods to check the obvious stuff, but I'm down 1.5 stones in 12 months and could do with at least 0.5 of it back....

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And what do your blood sugar levels look like? Are they in target? What's your hba1c?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
POssibly the best way to determine that is to provide details of the range your fingerpricks are normally in.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
POssibly the best way to determine that is to provide details of the range your fingerpricks are normally in.
Usually 5-10. Sometimes head into the low teens, but I'm very insulin sensitive so I usually suffer with too low rather than too high.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Btw - sugar levels etc all cleared with GP & consultant, which is why other avenues being explored.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And what do your blood sugar levels look like? Are they in target? What's your hba1c?
And @Circuspony are you often going hungry?
And approx., where is your BMI at?

Just trying to establish where your 'natural weight' would be around.
And also to ensure you have a decent life and not starving yourself and your body. :)
Neither by eating too few calories or by not getting enough insulin.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And @Circuspony are you often going hungry?
And approx., where is your BMI at?

Just trying to establish where your 'natural weight' would be around.
And also to ensure you have a decent life and not starving yourself and your body. :)
Neither by eating too few calories or by not getting enough insulin.
Ah, so now you're touching on why I need something to help me measure food intake vs energy expenditure.

BMI is at the low end of the range but I don't look healthy there. Gaunt is how my physio described me recently.

Anyone out there got any fitbit info???

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The only observation I can make is to say that the calories burned indication on fitness bracelets is by no means precise and is at best a rough estimate as I have found with mine. Not a fitbit but something similar.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I picked a Misfit which is great. Once I gave it my details and set up sync with Myfitnesspal it seems decently accurate. If, for example, I do nothing/barely anything with it on the calories burned at the end of the day are very close to the BMR formula result for me.

I wanted something with no frills, no screen, water proof to a degree and with no need to recharge and this was the only thing that fitted the bill.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I picked a Misfit which is great. Once I gave it my details and set up sync with Myfitnesspal it seems decently accurate. If, for example, I do nothing/barely anything with it on the calories burned at the end of the day are very close to the BMR formula result for me.

I wanted something with no frills, no screen, water proof to a degree and with no need to recharge and this was the only thing that fitted the bill.
Thanks - I'll have a look at that. I've had my fitnesspal recommended by a few people too. Reasonably accurate should be sufficient I hope to see if this is a diet issue rather than a medical one.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, so now you're touching on why I need something to help me measure food intake vs energy expenditure.

BMI is at the low end of the range but I don't look healthy there. Gaunt is how my physio described me recently.

Anyone out there got any fitbit info???
Hi again @Circuspony , ok good info from you in the latest posts, so now we know that:
- Your bg is in good control and your 'lowish weight' is not because of 'insulin starvation'.
- Your weight is already in the low end of the BMI scale and you would enjoy to carry a bit more to look more proportionally toned all-round to not look too skinny / fragile / gaunt.

So welcome to the club!
I am exactly the same, though have been in that low end for 25years plus by now. It is a never ending struggle for me to keep up my weight within my own preferred range around 72 kilos or so when I am not weight/fitness training intensively. With that I can build up to around 75-78 kilos, buts its a never ending struggle.

If I do 'nothing', besides eating whatever I want when I am hungry or not, and I take my correct doses of insulin, then I even drop down to around 66 kilos. And there I also look 'gaunt'. :)

Not sure though why you are so much into a fitbit?
My company offered us an 'Ionic' model at a previous sales meeting and I certainly also used it for a while. But its not like it exactly can measure your total daily calorie burn at all. It has a lot of nice features like GPS for tracking your pathways, your heart rate and what I really liked, a sleep tracker, as had a period I thought I didn't get enough in deep sleep phase. And then there is a 'pacer coach' which can be ok to tease you to go/run that extra mile. Also some other stuff but cant recall. But nothing like a wrist band or activity tracker can measure your true calorie burn at all. It can give you some indicators, mainly benchmarking one episode versus another and versus your average etc. But the value are nothing related to your absolute calorie burn. And thereby, not relevant to make any justified conclusion regarding your calorie intake versus your calorie burn.

Cant recall all the names right now, but we were a group of Type1s that a month or so ago entered into the discussion of 'bulking up for type1s', as we apparently were several that were challenged to do that. Just to gain weight and keeping it is a difficult thing, especially as you want to bulk up on muscle and not fat. But by doing so we all also had the common observations that our background metabolism was immensely raised and that also our bg was easier to control. E.g. our bigger muscles burned more energy also at rest and they also serve as a bigger buffer for your body in terms of glucose when/if needed, also if going slight hypo.

Plenty of good pages of information is available on this subject, so think you easily can find a wealth of information by doing a bit of online search. Alternatively, lets see who else will join this conversation, as recall that we were a good handful of folks that 'suffered from this aspect' and were into same regime styles to keep up a good weight and muscle strength/size.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Celsus

I think the fitbit (or something similar) is because I'm not really sure how much I'm burning up every day. I haven't changed my exercise since diagnosis (I've spent 40 odd years running around after horses!), but I think sub consciously I've pulled back on the snacking because its a pain with insulin dosages. This is a particular problem when I'm exercising because if I've got any fast acting insulin on board then I crash very quickly.

If my weight loss is due to that then I need to work out how to eat more whilst managing the insulin requirements. If it looks like my food intake should be sufficient for the exercise that I'm doing then its back to the medics to check that there isn't something else wrong.

My weight loss is pretty much fat loss. It started with the DKA episode prior to diagnosis last summer, but I just haven't been able to put it back on again. Muscle tone fine, but a little bit more blubber wouldn't go amiss! Ironically it was weight loss that first put me in front of the GP last year. I thought they'd tell me I was over-reacting and to eat more, but it turned out to be T1D - so I'm a little bit more paranoid these days about it being something other than food intake.