Fitness over doing it

Andreja1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have type 1 diabetes and for the last 11 years I have been heavily into exercise.
This is my regime and need you guys opinion:
4:20am wake up
Exercise till 5am
5:30am Leave the house to the train station
6:15am At the work Gym
I do the following
1. Rowing 22 minutes (intensive)
2. Bench Press
A. 33 Reps x 1 set 50 kg
B. 17 Reps x 2 sets 60 kg
C. 11 Rep x 1 set 65 kg
D. 7 Reps x 2 sets 70kg
3. Front lifts 20 Reps x 3 sets 20kg
4. Side pulls Reps x 2 sets 25kg
5. Front chest Reps x 1 set 25kg each arm
6. Leg press Reps x 2 sets 50kg
7. Back lat pulls Reps x 2 sets 55kg
8. Front lat x 1 sets 55kg
And there is a little more. I am now off work with burn out. I finish at 7:45am. Any suggestions?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Why are you doing so much? Have you become addicted to exercise?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phew! That made me tired just reading it !
All I can say is if it makes you feel good, that's OK for you.
If it's making you knackered and obsessive then why are you doing so much ?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stop what you're doing and seek expert advice on how to set up an exercise regime.
I'm no expert other than I've been type 1 26 yrs and have worked out 6 days a week for all that time and more before diagnosis.
Your workout appears to me to be far to much on a daily basis, totally unbalanced regarding body parts and 22 mins intensive rowing + weights......Why????????????

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Phew! That made me tired just reading it !

Me too.

And there is a little more. I am now off work with burn out. I finish at 7:45am. Any suggestions?

There's no doubt about it that exercise is great for all round general health, but I do think there's a happy medium between too little and too much, so if your current exercise regime is leading to you burning out then that is a sign that your doing far too much.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<snip>

Is the burn out from work or from too much exercise?

This isn't clear from your post.

I would say that it is probably not a good thing to continue that regime at the work gym if you are off work from "burnout" due to your working conditions.

If the burn out is physical (probably due to the exercise) then again probably not a good idea to continue.

Could you try some more prolonged but less intensive exercise, possibly including walking in the fresh air?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have type 1 diabetes and for the last 11 years I have been heavily into exercise.
Exercise till 5am
I do the following
2. Bench Press
A. 33 Reps x 1 set 50 kg
C. 11 Rep x 1 set 65 kg
D. 7 Reps x 2 sets 70kg

I think you are doing fine, all your muscles are excercised, but I think it is a bit stupid to exchaust oneself that much so one get a burn out, then it is time for a few weeks off, and NeXT time remember some more days off than till now..

Andreja1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks. The bizarre reason was one day a mate said I need to exercise from one of my non exercise days. I went with them and after I finished I thought this good, why not exercise this day as well..

This week I realised I have burnt out... so I am resting, acknowledging and trying not to do an ouch of exercise. Basically saying no is hard.. like saying no to a cigarette.. I am a non smoker

Reactions: Freema

Llinz04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise till 5am
I do the following
2. Bench Press
A. 33 Reps x 1 set 50 kg
C. 11 Rep x 1 set 65 kg
D. 7 Reps x 2 sets 70kg

Hi!

Wow that is some motivation to hear that you get up at 4:20am! I'm here to ask you how do you live, being type 1, with excercise? I'm a student and I love to work out around an hour a day at the gym, working on 5 different machines for 10 minutes each, which is a small amount compared to how nuch you work out for!

How do you feel with your levels after or during working out? I play rugby and netball for the university, and sometimes feel scared incase I get a hypo mid-game, and I feel as that bothers me that I have to check while doing something that I love!

How much do you check your levels and can you control your diabetes well after doing so much exercise, do you get hypos during the afternoon? :bookworm:

Andreja1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Sorry for the late reply.

I start by saying what would work for me may (and I mean may standing on the fence) may not work for you.

I am not a role model person with diabetes but I know if I eat a cache of porridge and I DO NOT (sorry for writing in capitals) inject then I know when I carry out my first exercise, which as you see is a 20 minute row, that burn of exercise replaces my fast acting insulin. I would strongly suggest speak to a health practitioner or a dietitian so a programme is written on your behalf. So before you exercise you understand what level you release so that possibly insulin is not required.

I have built to this level, as in the pass I have eaten a high level of carbs, injected a small amount of fast acting insulting before exercising, and the result is caused for my blood levels to slump. I was like you apprehensive, but now (14 years since being diagnosed) I have got to understand my body. Don't get me wrong, I get it wrong from time to time but generally I have 'gone with it' and going on the D.A.F.N.E. (dose adjusting for normal eating) course I am more synchronised with my mind and body.

Sorry for rambling on and well done for allowing exercise into your life. I am sure you already knew what I've said but if you need any further advice please ask.

I end it on this note. Living with Diabetes is part of a clinical journey/pathway... you own the condition, the condition doesn't own you.

J

Andreja1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all for your comments. Living with this condition is like refreshing your membership on life. You know you need to renew but leave it in the background. I can positively say I have learnt so much about my diabetes (type 1) and embrace learning from people that have the same condition. The only concern I have is the lack of awareness (despite health promotion) from people who do not have it... but that's a conversation for another time.., thanks for contributing..

Ps - I have not gone to the gym this week... a challenge in itself. Bless