Five years after Newcastle diet

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any thought on re-visiting the Newcastle Diet?
As you say, it worked perfectly first time, but seems to be that when you got back to your own personal fat threshold, you unfortunately are seeing it un-reverse. After two years of LCHF, why not revisit the Newcastle Diet as a first choice, rather than try to tweak the LCHF diet?

I suspect there are many like you and me, that will gain weight eating too much fat, or protein, or carbs, so it's always going to be an uphill struggle to watch the calories, but always possible. Good luck.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pipp, you asked why you are higher at 2 hours than at one hour.

This isn't unusual at all if your peak is between the two, ie around 90 minutes. Mine is always between 1 and 2 hours, I never peak at an hour, and never peak after 2 hours, (although I know some do @Brunneria I believe is one) Much depends on the combination of foods eaten. My Libre sensor has confirmed this, so I know my testing regime is correct for me.

I always test at 90 minutes and 2 hours. If you find you are higher at 2 hours, keep testing half hourly until you are happy.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Pipp

I have found Jason Fung's comments on fasting, low cal and dropping basal metabolic rate fascinating - and totally supported by my personal experiences.

His website holds all the info, in a series of short articles (some of which seem to be identical to pages in his book, Obesity Code).

He quotes studies done on both fasting, and on low calorie eating, and there seem to be a few things that I have gleaned you may find interesting. Intermittent fasting, longer fasting, 5:2 and similar diets don't seem to drop BSR (basal metabolic rate) even when conducted in the long run. Whereas reduced cal diet where consistent calories are eaten every day, do drop the BSR after a while weeks? months? He quotes some fascinating studies on this.

For this reason I have chosen to fast on only 3 days a week, and am making a deliberate effort to eat my normal amount of food on non-fasting days. Like you, blood glucose control is more important for me, than weight loss. And in my case, my main goal is reducing insulin resistance.

The graph he quotes (will try and find the link)
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/obesity-solving-the-two-compartment-problem/
and accompanying references, seem to suggest that ketosis is pivotal in reaching this state of sustained BSR while fasting. The chart shows how glycogen reserves are used up, and as they fall, ketosis steps up to replace the fuel.

I remember Voleck and Phinney quote a study (in the book referenced in my sig) that glycogen reserves in the liver/large muscles vary WILDLY from person to person, and obese metabolically challenged people can carry many times the 'usual' amount of glycogen. Obviously, I am both of those things, so am assuming that I have equally large reserves that I need to get rid off before reaching ketosis. V&P go as far as to suggest that it may be necessary for some people (often middle aged women => Me, of course) to drop their carbs lower than 20g carbs a day to remain in ketosis, and prevent refilling their glycogen reserves. Joyous news, eh?

Sadly, since my body isn't reaching ketosis on 24 hr fasts, even after 2-3 years of very low carb eating, I am thinking I carry a large amount of glycogen :( I still get small glycogen dumps for at least 1-2 days of fasting. :( so I may have to increase the length of the fasts. :( and eliminate carbs almost completely. :arghh:

Otherwise it is like taking two steps forward and once step back, whereas if I could reach ketosis and stay in it, even when not fasting, I would be walking slowly forwards all the time, rather than this 2forward, 1back nonsense.

The most benefit (in terms of insulin resistance reduction and nearing ketosis) was when I fasted 24 hrs, then fat fasted 24 hrs, then fasted another 24. Best readings I have seen yet for both bg and ketones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any thought on re-visiting the Newcastle Diet?
As you say, it worked perfectly first time, but seems to be that when you got back to your own personal fat threshold, you unfortunately are seeing it un-reverse. After two years of LCHF, why not revisit the Newcastle Diet as a first choice, rather than try to tweak the LCHF diet?

I suspect there are many like you and me, that will gain weight eating too much fat, or protein, or carbs, so it's always going to be an uphill struggle to watch the calories, but always possible. Good luck.
I am not ruling it out. Just carefully considering all options, after reading and rereading all the literature available.
To follow Newcastle Diet, or probably any eating regime, preparation is the key for me. I have to be mentally prepared, but also make sure I have the facts about the regime correct, and that there will be nothing to distract. All to easy to find social events or unexpected crisis in family or business cause one to slip up.
An important point I have to make is that the bulk of the weight gain (pun intended) was during the period of two years from end of ND and my discovery of the low carb method. So I do believe Low Carbing is best for me, I just need to go easy on the cheese, nuts and cream.

Reactions: Freema

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp, you asked why you are higher at 2 hours than at one hour.

This isn't unusual at all if your peak is between the two, ie around 90 minutes. Mine is always between 1 and 2 hours, I never peak at an hour, and never peak after 2 hours, (although I know some do @Brunneria I believe is one) Much depends on the combination of foods eaten. My Libre sensor has confirmed this, so I know my testing regime is correct for me.

I always test at 90 minutes and 2 hours. If you find you are higher at 2 hours, keep testing half hourly until you are happy.

I wish you the best of luck. :)
Thanks @bluetit. I ought to have worked this out for myself. Just didn't stop to think before posting.
I have been finding that if I test before I go to sleep at night the levels are higher than they were several hours before. Even though I haven't eaten for 4 or 5 hours. Also higher on waking. Wondering if my liver is starting to dump before I have slept and that is due to the fasting after 7pm.

Reactions: Freema

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hello, @Brunneria .
I am looking through Jason Fung's work again. Been a while since I read any of his stuff.
All your other suggestions are useful too.
I have much homework to do before deciding which way to go.
In the meantime, happy to carry on just eating in my 8 hour time scale. Also enjoying eggs and butter, just less cream and no cheese and nuts (which I miss). Will reassess in a few days.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not ruling it out. Just carefully considering all options, after reading and rereading all the literature available.
To follow Newcastle Diet, or probably any eating regime, preparation is the key for me. I have to be mentally prepared, but also make sure I have the facts about the regime correct, and that there will be nothing to distract. All to easy to find social events or unexpected crisis in family or business cause one to slip up.
An important point I have to make is that the bulk of the weight gain (pun intended) was during the period of two years from end of ND and my discovery of the low carb method. So I do believe Low Carbing is best for me, I just need to go easy on the cheese, nuts and cream.

Ah, ok, I just read it as your weight has been constant on LCHF for the last two years, and your Hba1c went up only recently.

I agree though, cheese and cream is a killer for me, I don't eat many nuts though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @bluetit. I ought to have worked this out for myself. Just didn't stop to think before posting.
I have been finding that if I test before I go to sleep at night the levels are higher than they were several hours before. Even though I haven't eaten for 4 or 5 hours. Also higher on waking. Wondering if my liver is starting to dump before I have slept and that is due to the fasting after 7pm.

The higher levels at bedtime could be the protein from earlier in the day kicking in. As you are cutting right down on cheese and nuts, you may find the bedtime levels improve. Hopefully! I have no direct experience of this.

It could be the liver dumping because it is still expecting a late night snack or evening graze, which you are now depriving it of..... again I've never done this myself.

It could also be a bit of tiredness/stress through staying up too late sitting at the computer! ;) (I do do this!)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
A really candid and thought provoking post, which I appreciate. As a newbie, it cautions me to be sober, committed and reflective:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, ok, I just read it as your weight has been constant on LCHF for the last two years, and your Hba1c went up only recently.

I agree though, cheese and cream is a killer for me, I don't eat many nuts though.
Ah, sorry, @SunnyExpat . It is a long story.

Lost weight on ND. (2011). Had two years just after that when I was immobile, after two major surgical procedures, which is when I regained almost half of the weight lost. Did test a few times with high carb food. Nothing was a problem. During that time I was mainly following NHS recommended diet. BG remained non-diabetic.
Then 2 years ago discovered LCHF here. Was very muddled at first, and overdid the fat content. Once sorted kept to minimal carbs and enough fat. Overindulged a bit, and to be honest, slipped a few carbs in the form of beer, (couple of times a month) and toadt with my butter (twice a week). Gained around 3 kg in last 2 years. HbA1c had been fine since ND but six months ago was 41, then last month 43. So clearly I need to take some action.

Thanks for your interest and for the good wishes.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The higher levels at bedtime could be the protein from earlier in the day kicking in. As you are cutting right down on cheese and nuts, you may find the bedtime levels improve. Hopefully! I have no direct experience of this.

It could be the liver dumping because it is still expecting a late night snack or evening graze, which you are now depriving it of..... again I've never done this myself.

It could also be a bit of tiredness/stress through staying up too late sitting at the computer! ;) (I do do this!)
Haha. Always been a bit of a late night person. No computer to use, just feet up with ipad.
There are lots of other variables to consider too. Changes to medication for other conditions, changes to exercise regime. Additional health conditions recently diagnosed, and, of course, I am getting old.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A really candid and thought provoking post, which I appreciate. As a newbie, it cautions me to be sober, committed and reflective:)

Hi, Kevin,
In addition to gaining insights of others and suggestions on ways forward, it is important that others are alerted to the fact that 'reversal' is not permanent.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I do remember the euphoria when I first believed I had cracked it. Didn't give a thought to the chance of the reversal not being permanent.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, Kevin,
In addition to gaining insights of others and suggestions on ways forward, it is important that others are alerted to the fact that 'reversal' is not permanent.

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I do remember the euphoria when I first believed I had cracked it. Didn't give a thought to the chance of the reversal not being permanent.

We'll be watching closely to (hopefully) see a good improvement after those 3kg that seemed to maybe be a tipping point.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We'll be watching closely to (hopefully) see a good improvement after those 3kg that seemed to maybe be a tipping point.

Highly likely that for various reasons my personal fat threshold is lower than it was, so probably have to lose much more than 3kg.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Me too:)

My first 7 day fast concludes on the date I am due my next bloods, although my actually appt date is providing tricky to pin down with the surgery, due to patient pressure, so I guess I'll just stick with the rhythms of my LCHF, exercise and intermittent fasting and see what the results are when I finally get the needle:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry if you have documented this elsewhere, @KevinPotts , but on your fasting days do you just drink water, or do you have broth, or something else? Seven days fasting seems a challenge.
I am currently revisiting Fung's research, and he seems to think alternate days fasting works best.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry if you have documented this elsewhere, @KevinPotts , but on your fasting days do you just drink water, or do you have broth, or something else? Seven days fasting seems a challenge.
I am currently revisiting Fung's research, and he seems to think alternate days fasting works best.

At least 2litres of fluid (water, black tea, black coffee, bovril for the salt).

4 days has been pretty easy.

We will see on the 7 days as I will feed back in detail:)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just my own musings, recorded to remind myself, really.
Having read a fair amount, and applying research findings to my own circumstances, I have decided :
I have previously had success following Newcastle diet method.
That success was based on being focussed on blood glucose levels, not being too concerned about weight and BMI.

Although I gained good blood glucose levels and maintained them for 5 years, (some would call this reversal of T2), I have reached a stage and age in life where my personal fat threshold is lower than it was. Therefore I can no longer disregard weight and BMI.

It will be necessary to lose at least the excess 20kg, I regained since my original weight loss, and possibly even more.

Although Newcastle diet with meal replacement products was successful before, I feel more inclined to follow an intermittent fasting regime this time. This is because it will need to be over a lengthy period of time to achieve substantial, sustainable , weight loss. However, I would be encouraged by an initial rapid weight loss, so I propose to use meal replacement products exclusively for the next two weeks, then review.

Since I last posted in this thread, by having an eating window of just 8 hours a day, and low carb, I am 3lbs lighter than I was 2 weeks ago, and BG levels are averaging around 0.5 lower than previously.
Stated intentions publicly, so no going back on my word.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just my own musings, recorded to remind myself, really.
Having read a fair amount, and applying research findings to my own circumstances, I have decided :
I have previously had success following Newcastle diet method.
That success was based on being focussed on blood glucose levels, not being too concerned about weight and BMI.

Although I gained good blood glucose levels and maintained them for 5 years, (some would call this reversal of T2), I have reached a stage and age in life where my personal fat threshold is lower than it was. Therefore I can no longer disregard weight and BMI.

It will be necessary to lose at least the excess 20kg, I regained since my original weight loss, and possibly even more.

Although Newcastle diet with meal replacement products was successful before, I feel more inclined to follow an intermittent fasting regime this time. This is because it will need to be over a lengthy period of time to achieve substantial, sustainable , weight loss. However, I would be encouraged by an initial rapid weight loss, so I propose to use meal replacement products exclusively for the next two weeks, then review.

Since I last posted in this thread, by having an eating window of just 8 hours a day, and low carb, I am 3lbs lighter than I was 2 weeks ago, and BG levels are averaging around 0.5 lower than previously.
Stated intentions publicly, so no going back on my word.

Just to encourage you to keep going. Pleased to see 3lbs weight loss and lower BG levels, Well done and keep going,