Flash Freestyle Libre Reader to change language

Wickiman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I have a very specific question to IT cracks.
I own a Chinese Freestyle Libre Reader, because I live currently in China.
There is only one language on the reader: Chinese or mandarin if you want.

Is it possible to flash the reader with an English/Spanish menu?
If it is possible can you send me the link for the file and instructions.

Thanks

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I have a very specific question to IT cracks.
I own a Chinese Freestyle Libre Reader, because I live currently in China.
There is only one language on the reader: Chinese or mandarin if you want.

Is it possible to flash the reader with an English/Spanish menu?
If it is possible can you send me the link for the file and instructions.

Thanks
Hi Wickiman,
I am in the same situation as you are! :)

It is definitely possible to flash upload a new firmware to the reader. But...
I have so far not seen the firmware packages available anywhere.
Reason clearly being that Abbott is regulatory responsible for the device across the many jurisdictions they have launched the product in. And to keep cost and complexity down, the device only comes with the firmware having just the minimal number of language(s) required for any given market. Next to this, Abbott has also a regional lock built into the hardware. Not even the healthcare providers have ability to change the user interface language on the device. Aka, within the 'professional settings' on your device you don't have any such options either.

But lets keep looking and staying in touch, as I would also enjoy to get the 'Chinese' changed away on my reader!

parentT9

I am just about to get the Chinese Freestyle Libre reader. (As I am currently in China, but from New Zealand) I heard the patches also work with phones that have NFC functionality. and was looking at getting a cheap phone with the libre link APP on it in English to use with the patches. Have either of you looked into this as an option?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am just about to get the Chinese Freestyle Libre reader. (As I am currently in China, but from New Zealand) I heard the patches also work with phones that have NFC functionality. and was looking at getting a cheap phone with the libre link APP on it in English to use with the patches. Have either of you looked into this as an option?

Hi @parentT9 and welcome!

You’ve posted your question on the end of a very old thread - the 2 people you’re addressing haven’t logged in for almost 3 years - so you’re unlikely to get a good response here. I’d suggest starting your own thread, or I could move this post and start a new one for you. Just shout!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, welcome to the forum.

According the the FAQ section on the Libre app in the link here. https://freestylelibre.com.sg/faq
(Answer to question asked "What languages are supported on the Freesyle Librelink app?")

It just seems to be a matter of changing the language settings preference on your actual phone?
It give a list of languages the app supports.
so, using your existing phone in your preferred language the Librelink app should comply regardles of region downloaded?

Hope this helps.

Wickiman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello ParentT9,

I use the libre app on my iPhone and downloaded it from the HK Apple AppStore. I think there is now a version in China available as well, but I don’t know if English can be selected.
Try the app on your phone and you are good to go. In addition I use spike, maybe interesting as well with MiaoMiao NFC/Bluetooth reader/sender. Or you use xDrip if you are on android.

good luck
Wickiman