Flexlink Plus bent cannula - design fault?

Hannibal

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My daughter recently had a kink in her FlexLink Plus cannula, even though this was four years after those detailed above. I know that Roche issued a recall of the FlexLink Plus sets in the US and Canada in February 2011 but it looks like they still have occasional issues and haven't solved the problem (or did they send us an old set?).

My daughter ended up in hospital with DKA because we could not believe that the cannula could be at fault, not now after four additional years of development. Add to this the fact that the Insight pump did not detect the resultant occlusion and my trust in these cannulas and this pump is now at rock-bottom and we want to go back to the old Combi with FlexLink cannulas

bridkid_74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ive only bin on the pump for 3 weeks now but my first week was hell. Never had bs so high! In on the insight flex and when i was removing them to replace them and lines due to high bs the majority of them were bent at a right angle! Have to say accu chek were really good with me. They talked me through my technique and asked why i wasnt using the introducer. Didnt know anything about an introducer! Apparently my dsn didnt tell me about it as they couldnt get hold of them. Anyway since ive had the introducer ive had no problems at all fingers crossed.

Hannibal

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Update - we have just seen the Roche rep and there is no problem going back to the Spirit Combo - a new one will be with us in a few days. Apparently anyone who doesn't like the Insight can ask to go back but they don't publish that info as they want users to give the Insight a proper try first. This means we go back to the old Flex Link cannulas and insertion device.

All credit to Roche, they have taken on board my comments and are moer than willing to replace the Insight and cannulas. Good customer service.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on the insight since April and not once have I had a cannula fail or bend. The only thing I've had problems with is the hand set as It keeps having a fault. I have rang Roche and apparently it doesn't do it enough for them to change it