Floaty friend!

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all!!

I have just had my second lot of steroid injections for my eyes this Saturday gone, everything is fine but I have had a weird black stringy friend appear just off my centre vision.

Has anybody else had this trouble? I don’t have pain or anything else causing alarm so I guess it’s just a bit of **** that got dislodged but if anyone could tell me some reassuring words that would be great! Xxx

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think @Jaylee is around at the moment, but he has had some eye treatment done in the past, so he may have something to add.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It sounds like a floater @CrankyKat. Does it move around? I have a 'weird black stringy friend' too - this appeared very suddenly as a large mass of black smudginess and threads, after flashing lights. A trip to the eye clinic and it was diagnosed as a floater, which is caused by the vitreous shrinking. "A bit of **** that got dislodged" is a good description! Mine wasn't caused by treatment though but by very short-sightedness, and @Jaylee may be able to give you more info. The stringy friend diminished over time and is now just a curly thread that I can see in certain lights. Fingers crossed yours will disappear and all will be well.

Dark Horse

Reactions: MargaretR

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!!

I have just had my second lot of steroid injections for my eyes this Saturday gone, everything is fine but I have had a weird black stringy friend appear just off my centre vision.

Has anybody else had this trouble? I don’t have pain or anything else causing alarm so I guess it’s just a bit of **** that got dislodged but if anyone could tell me some reassuring words that would be great! Xxx

Hi @CrankyKat ,

With the Lucentis, I had what I call "muppet eye" for a few hours.. A sort of swinging/moving black spot (think Cookie Monster?) in my lower field of vision which eventually dispersed.

With the eylea jabs, I had an immediate bubble like squid which was gone in 20 minutes leaving a blur for an hour or two...

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It sounds like a floater @CrankyKat. Does it move around? I have a 'weird black stringy friend' too - this appeared very suddenly as a large mass of black smudginess and threads, after flashing lights. A trip to the eye clinic and it was diagnosed as a floater, which is caused by the vitreous shrinking. "A bit of **** that got dislodged" is a good description! Mine wasn't caused by treatment though but by very short-sightedness, and @Jaylee may be able to give you more info. The stringy friend diminished over time and is now just a curly thread that I can see in certain lights. Fingers crossed yours will disappear and all will be well.

Yeah it is exactly like that she moves with my eye and to be fair she isn’t as bad as yesterday I’m calling her Catrina the catapilllar now!

I have spoken to the eye clinic and they said it should go away in a few days but if not I’ll call them back up! Not mucking around with my eyes again!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@Jaylee has nailed it !! i had some floaters that behaved like that too !!
they can hang around for a while

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So glad I actually took the time to read this thread.
The title alone gave me some grave worries as to the direction the forum was taking;););)

Hope that everything returns to normal asap.