Flour

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am cooking for some friends this evening and thinking of making some pancakes for dessert. I was just wondering what type of flour is lowest in carbs? I've seen recipes on here which use almond flour - is this gentle on sugar levels and is it available in most supermarkets?

C

catherinecherub

Hi jessie,
I get my almond flour from Holland and Barret, have never looked for it in supermarkets. Have just looked on the pack and it has 24 carbs per cup as opposed to 92 for Allison's Wholemeal. There are plenty of recipes on the internet for using almond flour.
Hope you enjoy your pancakes.
Catherine.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh, fantastic thank you Catherine! I'm looking forward to my pudding already :p

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Almond flour doesn't behave like wheat flour, but with pleny of egg, it will work. You could also try soya flour and if you have indian shops nearby, Gram flour, which is made from peas.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Hanadr, looks like I need to go flour shopping! How about milk? I usually use soya but not sure it's the best option?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I get semi-skimmed from the milkman. It's absolutely fine, but Bernstein recommends using full fat milk or half cream/half water as having fewer carbs. I've never had soya milk. what's it like?
Almond flour is simply ground almonds, but it doesn't have the gluten, so it doesn't stick. Egg white can compensate for this. Soya flour also is Gluten free.
So whatever pancake recipe you use, go for the variation with most eggs.

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried making a hot chocolate with skimmed milk, cocoa and sweetener but it sent my BS really high, so I've been using soya milk since. I think it tastes pretty grim actually so I only use it for cooking!

I'll try the pancakes with almond flour and an extra egg white I think...thanks!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there a difference between ground almonds and almond flour? If there is that might explain why my almond biscuits fall apart when I pick 'em up!!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Skimmed milk has a higher propotrtion of lactose, because all the lactose is left behind when the cream is removed. Semi-skimmed is not so bad. I use it becausse I only have it in tea and coffee and find full fat milk( silver top) too heavy and fully skimmed too thin.
Hana

C

catherinecherub

Hi Patch,
Ground almonds are usually coarser than the flour. I think you could try a bit more egg to bind it.
Catherine.

C

catherinecherub

Hi broads,
I find that soya flour is alright if you use half soya and half wholemeal. It is difficult to get it right on it's own. It needs storing carefully as it has a high fat content. It is best kept in the fridge or somewhere dark as it tends to go off otherwise.
Hope this helps,
Catherine.

broads

Thanks Catherine, will buy some and try it. I am still at an early stage of trying to change old ingredients for new, if you know what I mean.