Flu and Diabetes

char87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I came down with what I think is the flu on Friday- have had severe cold shaking spells, a really painful headache and am aching all over although particularly in my stomach/back. i was pretty high all day on saturday but have upped my insulin and am following hte sick day rules and have been within normal limits yesterday and today. I am just a bit concerend as I know that diabetes can be bad with flu- is there anything i should be looking out for or is it just monitoring my levels? I havent been to the doctors yet but think i will go tomorrow if it carries on like this- can barely move and sleeping all the time.

Thanks
Charlotte

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly It does sound like flu like symptoms, but could be something else :inpain: Just wondering if you had the flu jab last year or not?
You seem to be doing the right things, lots of monitoring and make sure you drink plenty of fluids. If it gets worse or you are getting concerned, ring the NHS help line for some advice and reassurance. I hope you start to feel much better very soon. Take care:)

Reactions: 4 people

char87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks very much. I didnt have the flu jab- i had it the year before but didnt get round to it and really regretting it now. Have been trying to drink fluid but not very hungry or thirsty at all. Thanks for the advice.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Also remember to check for ketones when your next ill and have high bg readings. Make sure you get the flu jab this winter.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks very much. I didnt have the flu jab- i had it the year before but didnt get round to it and really regretting it now. Have been trying to drink fluid but not very hungry or thirsty at all. Thanks for the advice.

Just take little sips at a time if you can, I don't think I have ever had flu, with or without the flu jab, but I've heard it can be really knock you for six:( Take care and wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just take little sips at a time if you can, I don't think I have ever had flu, with or without the flu jab, but I've heard it can be really knock you for six:( Take care and wishing you a speedy and healthy recovery.

You'll soon know when you have flu RRB.

Along with a lot of people I use to say I had the flu when it was just a bad cold, when flu eventually did come my way I couldn't lift my head off the pillow or swing my legs over the bed, never felt so ill and that is why I get the flu jab every year.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You'll soon know when you have flu RRB.

Along with a lot of people I use to say I had the flu when it was just a bad cold, when flu eventually did come my way I couldn't lift my head off the pillow or swing my legs over the bed, never felt so ill and that is why I get the flu jab every year.

Definitely never had flu then:) I never used to get the flu jab:oops:, because I said 'I don't get things like that' and luckily I haven't, but I have, for past 3 years, had the flu jab:doctor:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Definitely never had flu then:) I never used to get the flu jab:oops:, because I said 'I don't get things like that' and luckily I haven't, but I have, for past 3 years, had the flu jab:doctor:

Not many people know this but I wrote a post about it last winter, you can get your flu jab done at Asda Pharmacies and they inform your gp surgery that you've had it done, like the jab at your surgery it's free of charge if you have diabetes. Saves taking time off work as you can get it done when you pop-in for your shopping :)

Reactions: 3 people

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Community Pharmacists can only give free flu injections if the service has been commissioned by the local CCG. This service is NOT available nationally and is often only commissioned in areas of low uptake.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had flu a couple of years ago, I'd had the jab too. I could barely move, even my toes hurt. I couldn't eat which was awkward, I was vomiting too. It took two or three weeks to feel better. Horrid. Hope you feel better soon x

K

Kat100

I have had the flu jab for the past 3 years for a low immune system, never know if I am doing the the thing or not though...
I always avoided it ....

But flu can be awful , so get well, look after yourself and take care ....

char87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi- just as an update I went to the doctors today as wasnt getting any better and they think it is actually a severe urine infection rather than flu- apparently some of the symtpons are similar but when they tested my urine it was possitive for all the 'bad stuff'. Have been prescibed antibiotics and they want me to go to the hospital if it doesnt improve shortly. No idea whats cauing it- my control has been fairly good and only get the very odd high reading. Thanks for all the advice tho.