Flu and high BS

K-ate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been diabetic for over 30 years; but thankfully am rarely ill! But I've managed to pick up one of the flu viruses this week. My blood sugars are usually reasonable; I test a lot and also carb count and adjust dosage. But I'm really struggling to bring down the BS; its sitting at between 13-16 and whenever I do a bolus to adjust it barely moves. This means I'm now not actually eating very much as am not finding a window when the levels are sufficiently low. I have increased by lantus (twice daily) by about 20% but little seems to be helping. I understand this is because cortisol released to help recovery also makes the body more insulin resistant. I also know that it will pass. But what I don't know is when I should seek external help; I'm not vomiting or showing any of the other ketoacidosis symptoms but at what point do I worry? How resilient is the body? With all the posts on here saying people are constantly at 5 or 6 I'm feeling like a naughty diabetic.

K

D

Deleted Account

As you say, with a high BG, your body is likely to be insulin resistant.
Have you tried taking a higher correction bolus?
If my BG is that high, I need twice as much insulin to correct.
I also find, when I am ill, I may need 30 or 40% extra basal.

I don't think you are a naughty diabetic and whilst ever high increases your risk of complications, long term high usually refers to weeks rather than a few hours or day.

Focus on getting better. Drink plenty of fluids, rest, test, correct.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

K-ate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Helen that is really reassuring and sensible. I will up my bolus and do the rest as you say!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thank you Helen that is really reassuring and sensible. I will up my bolus and do the rest as you say!
Hi K-ate Before 2013, when I was a very long-standing Type 1, I was on Actrapid and Monotard twice a day. Whenever I was invaded by an aggressive virus (even if the symptoms didn't show) my readings would often go up to at least 16 and I would inject fast acting accordingly. Sometimes I had to do 3 extra injections in a day. This could go on for days, exactly as you describe, and presumably when my antibodies had done their job, I could come crashing down. I also tried to help a Type 1 based on my own experience, only to find his needs were much greater. It is very difficult to give exact advice, but my main reason for writng is to point out the sudden crash! Very good luck

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm now not actually eating very much as am not finding a window when the levels are sufficiently low.
You can always opt for food with very few carbs. Fighting the flu is hard work, and hard work is made easier with sufficient food. What about eggs, meats, cheeses, avocado's, olives, cucumbers and tomatoes. You can eat them without a significant rise in bg, so you won't feel you have to wait for your bg to drop to eat them.
Hope you'll feel better soon!

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m experiencing the same today but have way less experience with corrections and such. Also in agony from toothache! Also I worry about dka but my dsn told me that as long as I have insulin on board I should be ok... is that correct?
Best wishes to you hope you improve tomorrow.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @K-ate . Sorry that you've been struck down by the dreaded flu virus.
I was unfortunate enough to get hit about 5 weeks ago.
Like you my BS levels went completely awol. I use a dexcom cgm and I was amazed how my BS levels seem to be influenced by my body temperature. Whenever my temperature rose so did my BS.
I spent 4/5 days with numbers in the teens, dropping below 10 only with crazy amounts of bolus. Was checking for ketones but none showed during the time I was ill. One tip , drink , drink and drink.
It took a further 7/10 days after I felt " better " and able to get up and about before my ratios returned back to normal.
Get well soon.
If in any doubt, seek advice.

P.S. Saying isn't necessarily doing;);)